So is there an "iPod 2" in the works?
Jun 27, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
I thought that there were design/hardware changes form the V1/V2 Pods to the V3 models. I know that the buffer is smaller on the older models and seem to recall a thread here or at another site (ipodlounge?) where a guy cracked the Pods open and did a real mapping and analysis that found the potential reasons for the limited feature-set of the V1/2. I will try and take a look on google and see if I can scare it up.

the only changes were to the controllers and buttons. they all had 32mb flash memory and they all used the exact same processor made by PortalPlayer.

Jun 27, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 23
Jun 28, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
austonia - in addition to the changes you mentioned, don't forget that iPod battery changed moving from gen 2 to gen 3 also - this is one of the main reasons why the gen3 is smaller.

yes i'm aware but that has no bearing on the firmware. like i said, there's no reason Apple can't update the firmware on the older iPods to include the same features as the v.3 considering they have the same processor and basic architecture

Jun 28, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 23
You know, the ONLY thing people ever complain about the iPOD is the battery life. It's personally never been an issue for me as (1) I'm aware of it and (2) I get around it with an 8-cell AA pack in case it runs low.

I never hear anyone complain about the powerful user interface, the very unique (patented) and extremely easy to use wheel, the full database for music or the sound quality.

It's not like the battery issue doesn't have a workaround. As such, I'm very happy with my 3G 40GB model and don't see the need to replace it for quite some time.

Jun 28, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ITZBITZ
You know, the ONLY thing people ever complain about the iPOD is the battery life. It's personally never been an issue for me as (1) I'm aware of it and (2) I get around it with an 8-cell AA pack in case it runs low.

lol... it's not exactley portable if you have to carry 8 AA batteries!!

funny how the dell dj and others are about the same size but have 2x the battery life... no need to carry a brick worth of batteries. seems more reasonable to me.

Jun 28, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
yes i'm aware but that has no bearing on the firmware. like i said, there's no reason Apple can't update the firmware on the older iPods to include the same features as the v.3 considering they have the same processor and basic architecture

uh, yeah there is a reason...it's called reduced sales of gen 3 iPods and minis.

Jun 28, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
uh, yeah there is a reason...it's called reduced sales of gen 3 iPods and minis.

uhhhh yeah.

you do know that apple doesn't sell the v.1/2 models anymore, right? it's not like people can buy the older ones from apple instead of the newer ones. and it's not like people would rush over to eBay to buy up older ones if apple simply brought them up to date with a few of the new features. so it boils down to thier attitude about customers.

"buy our new **** cuz we ain't supporting the old"

compare that to creative, nueros, etc . they have no problem updating older models with features from their newer players. so i'll buy from them instead.

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
funny how the dell dj and others are about the same size but have 2x the battery life... no need to carry a brick worth of batteries. seems more reasonable to me.

The Dell DJ is a little over a 1/4 inch wider than the iPod and a little less than a 1/4 thicker. Not a whole lot but probably just enough to squeeze a higher capacity battery into itl. I wouldn't mind it if the iPod was just a little bigger. Maybe this will change with the new ones next month. I don't really have any complaints about the battery life though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back