So is it Rockbox or iTunes?
Apr 17, 2007 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
iTunes only wants to let me use one PC to sync. I have 2 home PCs and a work laptop. Obviously I would like it to work with more than one PC.

Is rockbox the only way to do this?

If so, I am confused by rockbox and am scared to subject my iMod to anything which will screw it up.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 43
thanks but your answer is altogether too general. I've already read for 2 hours without any conclusion which is why I am asking people who have experienced this issue previously.

SPECIFICALLY is it rockbox that does this best or is there another program easier to use?

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 43
I don't mind paying for decent software either. I just want to know what is the best software besides rockbox.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 43
Your question is alltogether [sic] too general. How do you define best? Each has its trade-offs. Please tell us what you want to do. Is multiple computer transfer all? If you're not going to use some of Rockboxs advanced features you may find its battery hit too much. If you don't use iTunes you'll be loosing some of the functionality there too.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 43
I just want to be able to use the iPod as a normal hd player. Drag and drop w/ lossless playback and multiple computer usage.

Winamp for 20 bucks?

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 43
I'm going to plug Rockbox. First off - no worries, it won't "do" anything to your iMod. I've had my iMod Rockbox'd for quite some time now. One of the main reasons for me is FLAC support and gapless playback. The other reason - no iTunes.
evil_smiley.gif
Another cool thing, your iPod is recognized as an external HDD. Drag/drop copy/paste - piece of cake to load up your iMod. There is a hit to battery life per charge. This is not an issue for me since I primarily listen to my iMod/Hornet combo at home plugged in - YMMV.

Also, Rockbox installation has become much easier and it has become much more stable. Big Rockbox fan-boy here!

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 43
I'll give it a try then. Anything but iTunes and the bloatware apple puts on my sytems.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 43
you're battery life will take a significant hit with rockbox, but you may like the options it gives you.

if you manually sync, you can use itunes on multiple computers with no problems.

you can also use mediamonkey for free.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 43
I highly recommend Rockbox. Have been using it for quite sometime now and have NEVER had a problem with it.

iTunes, IMHO, just blows.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 43
I used Rockbox, too, when I had my iPod. It takes a little getting used to, as the navigation is very much different from the stock firmware, but once you get used to it, it should be a snap.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recommend Rockbox. Have been using it for quite sometime now and have NEVER had a problem with it.

iTunes, IMHO, just blows.

X2...I've been using Rockbox for almost a year on my 2nd Gen Ipod Mini...absolutely love it! The stock firmware sucks!

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 43
Anapod, rockbox, media monkey...... etc...........

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #15 of 43
rockbox doesn't want to play nice. I don't understand it even after reading the manual 3 times and following the instructions. I install the boot ok but it never comes up with the rockbox splash-screen. What? dammit I hate apple. even cowan had a better interface and theirs had a damn virus lol.

seriously, is winamp pro ok? at least I will have a chance of getting that to work. Rockbox REALLY needs to clear up their install process. Maybe I installed it wrong but idk b/c the directions are fuxor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back