so is it bad to jog or run with an ipod or ipod mini?
Jan 12, 2005 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

lord of volume

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering about this since my girlfriend has had her 1st gen ipod forever and its been dropped all over the place. I am thinking of getting the ipod shuffle since it has no moving parts. I just wonder if this makes any difference in terms of durability.

Jan 12, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 18
I think the only way you could damage you iPod while running would be if you were to get hit by a car. Obviously dropping them could damage something, if dropped hard enough or repeatedly.

Jan 12, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 18
running does have a chance of messing up the hard drive in the ipod because the between the head and the disk, my computing teacher told me that it was 7 air molecules wide so the smallest jolt of a movement would stratch the disk, rendering it useless.

A ipod shuffle would defienetly do the job for running with.

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 18
a jolt to any HDD does not mean youve broken it. It does have the oppertunity to be ruined yes.

Basically is boils down to you, are you willing to risk it. personally i feel even sprinting in a HDD player is pretty safe, unless its on your ankle its really not being ruined.

but there are excpetions to ever rule, you could be it, but i doubt it.

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 18
as long as you dont swing your arms around like a mad man when you're running, i think you should be fine. i go jogging every morning with my iPod, and no problems yet.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 18
Actually, the iPod would be safer the faster you run. The slower you jog, the more energy is being used pushing up, not out. The faster you go, the more your body is going forward, not up and down. I agree, this is a stupid post, but I've been running competitively for 10 years and I guess I'm anal about it.

Personally, I'd get a flash player, since there is absolutely no risk of damaging it from just running. I'd be weary of running with any HDD based DAP.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 18
The reason why laptops have a greater chance of undergoing a physical crash (HD head slams into the disk) than desktops is because they're carried around, bumped into, dropped, etc. Moving around will increase the chance of crashing any harddrive, but it's still very very rare. I only know one person to have had a physical crash; this was when he dropped his laptop four feet.

Edit: on that note, I also have a friend who has had a 1G iPod for a long time... god knows she's the clumsiest person on the face of the planet.

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 18
portable drives, like the drives in the iPod, are made to be extremely hardy these days; you can check the manufacturer's specs for the kind of shocks they're engineered to take and keep working, they're pretty ludicrous. (There's one drive which can take 1000G when functioning and 2000G when parked). You might get it to skip, if you keep moving and moving and moving and never let it sit still...if you're really, really unlucky you might manage to corrupt one file or something. But I don't think it's really a big deal.

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 18
I think you should get a flash player, they are better suited for exercise. Not only will they not be damaged by fast or abrupt movement, but they are a lot smaller and a lot lighter. However, there are a lot of better flash players out there than the ipod shuffle. i have an iriver iFP-390T and i love it. it has much better sound quality, and features...like an equalizer and a neat feature called 'pick what you listen to', where you can actually search and find a particular song without having to listen to every other song first. mpio and iaudio also make good flash players.

Edit: oh, the only reason i think you should get the shuffle is if you only have music downloaded from itunes (that m4p crap). this won't be able to play on other players... wily apple

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
With 1 and 2 Gig Flash players out there for peanuts these days , I wouldn't be messing with HDD players at all.

I'm glad you don't have the cushy job of being the yes/no man at Apple/Creative/IRiver/Sony.. etc. when it comes to HDD-DAPs. Sounds like you would have never let them ever come into existence!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Edit: oh, the only reason i think you should get the shuffle is if you only have music downloaded from itunes (that m4p crap). this won't be able to play on other players... wily apple

actually a few older Panasonic mp3 players can play AAC, like the SD50.

Jan 15, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 18
What about biking with an mtb at 25 mph on cobblestones with a zen micro in my wallet pocket. How do you call the pocket on the inside of your coat anyway? (I suppose you guys in the US don't even know what cobblestones are :p) Would it be ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back