So I'm thinking about getting a Zune...
Apr 20, 2007 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Etrips

100+ Head-Fier
Been using Ipods for about 2 years now, and after getting my Darths, want to see if I can find a better DAP. Been looking at the Zune as I hear the SQ on that demolishes the Ipod. Anyone help me push me on the right direction? Have the finger on the buy button!

Mainly looking for SQ + versatility if that makes any difference.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 5
As for sound quality - it really depends on what type of mp3 player you're looking for. Note: i have not heard most of these players. These are opinions that i've gathered from the posts on this board.

flash based players with good quality:
- samsung K5 / YP / etc
- cowon D2 / g3 / etc
- sony
- clix?

hard disk drive players with good quality:
- rio karma
- zune
- cowon iaudio x5
- ipod + imod (or ipod + lineout + amp)
- vibez?

As for versatility - i'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but with respect to the zune and versatility:

+ FM Receiver
+ can play WMA, MP3, & AAC (Relatively rare to get all 3 formats on the oem firmware)
+ wireless may some day be useful (don't hold your breath)
+ dynamic playlists
+ sound quality

- windows only
- crappy software you have to use
- currently only their firmware available (no rockbox option)
- wmv only for video
- cannot drag/drop, not a ums device, etc
- no gapless playback

I'm personally having trouble deciding which player to get myself - competition is good! It just makes decisions that much harder =)

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 5
RYI - vibez is a hard drive (micro drive). 8 or 12 gb. very portable, good sound quality but some people have issues with the scroll wheel moving while it's in their pocket.

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, you CANNOT go wrong with the zune SQ. I have a lot of players and the zune beats them all out of the box. Get yourself a good pair of headphones if you don't have them.

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 5
If you are looking to have DAP only, zune is a real winner. Or you could pay $500 for Kenwood 30GB (I forgot the exact model but it is black in color with blue buttons). Those two hold the crown for best sounding DAP with internal amp and DAC.

If you are looking for combination of external amp, iMod is THE KING!. Or if you are crazier, look in eBay for iRiver H140 and match it up with a MicroDAC and External Amp......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back