so im in japan should i get the d66 eggos?
Jun 28, 2004 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PYROTAK

100+ Head-Fier
so i went to this place and haggeled this this guy and he said that he would give me the d66 eggos for 9300 yen which is approx 84 US assuming the 1 dollar = 110 yen exchange rate.

are these headphones worth the money? should i make the buy?

am i getting a good price?

Jun 28, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 14
I got my eggos for 98US shipped to Canada. So the price is not bad. the eggos are pretty loved or hated here it seems. I personally love mine and think they are great for portable use. Comfortable phones with great soundstage.

Jun 28, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 14
you will either love it or hate. depend on how you like music. if you like smooth mids and clarity in the high end, but not too much bass then these are for you. if you like your music to be bass driven then these will sound very thing. i call it slap bass and they are quick.

they were one of my favorite headphone. they are very light and comfortable, very efficence and easy to drive, have an extremely smooth and flexible cable.

expect to look like a king nerd if you wear these.

Jun 28, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 14
Eggo D66 sucks. I hate mine. No bass. Sounds tinny, and a bit muffled. No clarity nor detail. Did I mention no bass? Don't waste your money. Spend $29.99 plus shipping and get Koss KSC-35. Or $69 and get Grado SR-60. Or $150-180 and get Sennheiser HD25-1. All sound great for portable usage, which is what I assume you're going to be using them with.

Jun 28, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 14
Christ... $84 for what I consider the worst headphones I have ever purchased because of head-fi (they were the flavor of the month once). They're beautiful, but the sound is deplorable to me at that price.

Jun 28, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 14
Eggo fills a niche of people who want good sound ("good" is a relative term here), good amount of isolation, portability, and style. It's hard to find a headphone that satisfies all the above criteria...

Of course, the trade-off you make with the Eggos is a sound that's pretty good compared to normal consumer products, but at its price... you can get entry audiophile level headphones that are so much better sounding.

They won't be as portable, some of them aren't closed cups... but just about everything else in that price range is better sounding than the Eggos.

Jun 28, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 14
so if i had to buy a pair of headphones in japan that are sub 200 dollars what would you suggest then?

oh and im going to osaka kyoto and tokyo next week so it would be great if some of you could tell me some good places (with addresses) to buy some cans or possibly even demo them before i buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ps. i know ive posted this before but the thread fell off the edge
600smile.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 14
Eh. I D66 Eggos are one of (if not my most) favorite phones under $100 so I would definately recommend picking them up--but, probably not in new, even for $84. Instead, I'd recommend just picking up a used pair for $60-$75 here on the gear for sale forum. If their not your thing just resell them again for the same price you bought them for an lose nothing.

Yes, it does appear that the D66 are either a love it or hate it type of phone but for me it was love at first listen--and this is coming from a guy who is also a big fan of the KSC-35 and sr60/80s.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 14
the price of the headphone itself isn't my worry.

what i wanna know is like which headphone on the market its comparable to.

i have listened to sr80s, e2cs, and my trusty hd202 (which broke). i just wanna know if the d66 is a step up from these phones and im pretty much getting em for my sister to replace the broken hd202s and because she needs some new headphones to go with the toshiba g21 that im going get for her while in japan

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 14
i wouldnt say the eggo is higher quality than the sr80, but they are from almost the same level as each other (only imo). your sister might like them.

the a500/a700/a900 get rave reviews here, might want to check those out as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back