So I'm going to Hawaii.
Dec 17, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
If you want a more laid back and undisturbed aptmospnhere go to Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island. Many locals from the outer islands consider life in Honolulu as fast paced, it's just right for me.

i remembered the first time i went to honolulu, it felt like everything was so slow compared to the bay area but after a few days there, you learn to slow down also and relax more.

i miss hawaii and plate lunches, beaches where the water is actually warm, the friendly people, shaved ice and don't want to forget all the honeys there. have fun you bum! i'm so jealous...

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 33
I was on Oahu for two weeks during Xmas/New Years '85.
Best thing I did was climb Diamondhead.
Next best thing was a day drive around the island.
Worse thing I did was NOT travel to the other islands. Dumb me.

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Jahn travelled with his wife to gaze at the lovely vistas.

Alex partied with the hula honeys and used Poi quite inappropriately, but that's only hearsay.
evil_smiley.gif

Born2bwire now decrees that he shall be known as "The Born2bwire."

The Born2bwire would like to know if the only main method of transportation between the islands is by plane or are there regular boating services and how much do they go for?

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 33
Whoops, the Born2bwire has double posted. The Born2bwire notices that this was due to the fact that the Born2bwire double clicked the "Reply" button. It would seem that the forum is no longer restricting the Born2bwire from posting more than once within 30 seconds.

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 33
Eat lots of ahi while there--I ate it 9 days in a row! best ever! You can't help but feel guilty though, swimming with these gorgeous fish and then eating them for lunch.

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #21 of 33
The wife and I have enjoyed the condo on Kauai for fifteen years now...we have a one week a year timeshare...it has been great! we are finishing up by going for two weeks in just three weeks. Then we are going to sell it. We have enjoyed every visit, and have used the trading for some other fun places, like Williamsburg, DisneyWorld/Epcot, and once for a cruise...

When I was shipping out, I went into as many of the Pacific Isles as I could, as often as I could...Kauai was my fave, so when I got the chance, I bought in. I didn't care that much for Tahiti.

I no longer think that Vacation Timeshare is the way to go, what with the smaller differential in rates and the ever higher expenses for maintenance, but it was great while it lasted. I have nothing bad to say about the experience, but I think that the restrictions of scheduling and location are now too much. I will simply make arangements for a hotel or condo rental wherever and whenever I wish to go, for as long as I feel like it. It worked well while I was working, but it doesn't fit my needs now that I am retired.

Next up, I think, will be a private plane expedition exploring New Zealand...get to fly a Cessna all over NZ, wherever whenever I feel like it!

Dec 17, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire

The Born2bwire would like to know if the only main method of transportation between the islands is by plane or are there regular boating services and how much do they go for?

You either go by plane or you swim.
wink.gif
Actually I have no clue why they don't implement some kind of boating system similar to what they have going between Hong Kong and Macao...those Far East jetfoils they use are awesome and fast. Probably has something to do with the plane companies wanting to monopolize the interisland transportation system.

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire

They have planes. I believe the current is way too strong between Islands for small ships; they'd sink.

Dec 17, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I've been to Maui. Don't fool yourself. It IS Paradise!
biggrin.gif

Not when you have family that relocated out there. "A week in paradise" becomes "a week with grandma and the bitchy aunt"... not fun.

That being said, I'm leaving for Maui on Tuesday, spending a week out there. I'm not sure whether to look forward to it or dread it. But at least this time around, I'll have a Game Boy and SuperMacro to kill time while flying.

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #27 of 33
So Jealous. Hawaii is an extremely beautiful and awesome place to visit. My wife and I have been to Kauai, Big Island (Hawaii) and Oahu. We spent the least time on Oahu (2 days, just to go to Pearl Harbor), but while on our first trip to Kauai we used this real great book called the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. We really liked the book so very much that when he decided to go to the big island we bought the Hawaii the big island revealed written by the same authors. These books made these good trips unforgettable. I would suggest you get Oahu Revealed by the same authors because even locals don’t know all the stuff in these books. It provides info on hotels, restaurants, and great things to do and see. Highly recommended and it will make the best use of your time while on the island.

Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...lance&n=283155

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
That being said, I'm leaving for Maui on Tuesday, spending a week out there. I'm not sure whether to look forward to it or dread it. But at least this time around, I'll have a Game Boy and SuperMacro to kill time while flying.

i love maui. on my last trip there, my gf and i rented a house for a few days on the hana side of the island. it completely made me forget about the rest of the world. going back to the more populated parts of the island felt weird after forgetting about it all for a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back