So I'm about to get my toenail ripped off...
Jan 28, 2007 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I'm the victim of an ingrown toenail, and removal is imminent. Can't say I'm looking forward to it... well, I am, but I'm not.

Anybody been through this procedure before? Anything particularly negative about it? :O

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 38
Jan 28, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 38
I kicked a pile of leaves at a freind one time. Only problem was there was a cement block sitting in the middle of them. OUCH it frigging hurt. Toe nail split down the middle. It grew back funny and they had to cut it off and then kill nerves. It dosn't grow back. They numbed my toe up and I never felt it. Took vicoden for a day and went on about life.(without a toe nail) Hurts like hell when someone steps on it.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 38
I had my left big toe nail removed, I initially had it fixed for being ingrown, then I somehow got nail fungus on the same nail. It's no big deal really, relatively painless, you will have to soak the toe in a warm water/antiseptic solution once a day for a week or so, that's about the only time it hurt. If you have a weak stomach don't watch while it's done!

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 38
twice; one on each big toe. the first time (1998) did incur more pain than compared to the second time (2006). that being said, you wont feel that much pain, depends on how much numbness the podiatrist put in; from what my podiatrist told me once, that the infected toe had so much pus around, the numb shot wont even work to it's fullest and you would feel pain.

after, a bit of limping and soaking your feet in warm salty water for a coupla weeks. not a pretty sight the first time (and in my case, the second)

the lesson here, dont over-cut your nails!!

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 38
Oh man, how come every thread that comes up that has painful situations I can relate to?

On topic, I had to get ingrown toenails taken care of more than SIX TIMES total. In the beginning, it was only one foot, but later both, so I count two-feet operations as two. After having this quack lady doctor do it a few times, we went to a REAL doctor who knew what she was doing. In the end, one toe is fine while the other has permanent swollen scar tissue.
frown.gif

But I have to say that having my ingrown toenails taken care of was the worst pain I have ever experienced. And I experienced it multiple times! I was close to fainting every time...ugh, it was like a snake biting as hard as it could into you and injecting its venom. That's how it literally felt.

Sorry you have to go through it. Just hold on (no joke) and think of relaxing ideas...maybe blast metal music to your ears while it's being done?

Good luck and report back after the procedure. (You'll have to limp around for a few days, maybe a week)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I have to say that having my ingrown toenails taken care of was the worst pain I have ever experienced. And I experienced it multiple times! I was close to fainting every time...ugh, it was like a snake biting as hard as it could into you and injecting its venom. That's how it literally felt.

The anesthesia was really that ineffective? And on every single occasion? That's sort of surprising. Were your nails in really bad shape? I think you're actually the first person I've asked about this that has described the procedure as inducing such a degree of pain.

For my case, it's been around 2-3 weeks... notable swelling, but no real pain unless I bump into something or don't pay attention when putting on a sock/shoe. Maybe it won't be so bad.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 38
I lost my right thumbnail once due to a nasty subungual hematoma after smashing it square on with a hammer. Grew back fine though.. but it looked quite awful until it did.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 38
Had the procedure done three times, twice on one toe and once on another. Not a huge deal really, worst part is the anesthetic needle. In my case even that didn't hurt that much, but once or twice it's touched a pretty sensitive nerve which causes my leg to jerk. You'll want to concentrate on keeping your leg stiff otherwise that spot where the needle got pushed around will be painful. Even after the burning out of the roots I never felt much pain after the surgery.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

It grew back funny and they had to cut it off and then kill nerves. It dosn't grow back.

I've had to have an ingrown toenail taken care of twice. The first time the doctor removed half the nail and I ws told it wouldn't grow back. It did. The second time I had the entire nail removed. It also grew back but came back really hard and thick which makes it difficult to cut.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 38
I've had this done, I actually passed out with the injection - She injected me about 5 times, the last one she injected me under the toe (nearly between the toes) and pushed, I just saw the needle pop out the top of my toe and bosh... I was gone.

I hate injections and found the one between the toes, as shown below but are not my feet, to be horrible;

foot.jpg

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had this done, I actually passed out with the injection - She injected me about 5 times, the last one she injected me under the toe (nearly between the toes) and pushed, I just saw the needle pop out the top of my toe and bosh... I was gone.

I hate injections and found the one between the toes, as shown below but are not my feet, to be horrible;

foot.jpg

nice toe polish, man!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back