So if I buy some KSC75s
Jun 19, 2006 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Alright I was thinking of buying and modding some KSC75s (probably pick up two pairs just in case something goes wrong....or if nothign else to do comparisons). So I've pretty much figured that I'll recable and do the kramer mod (can anyone tell me how these two will change the bass...I like some impact). My biggest question though is about mounting the drivers in a new housing. Should I seek out some old broken sr-60s? Or make due with what I have?

At my disposal I have a pair of Sony mdr cd250s, and mdr-v150s http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Obviously if I used these the backs are closed so I'd be cutting a hole in them.

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Personally, I don't understand why there's such a desire by some people to mod these things. Re-cable to get rid of the Radio-Shack version volume control, or perhaps house them in a different band (I read where you can simply snap them out and pop them in the same mount on the Porta-Pro's), but modding to change the sound seems self-defeating.
mad.gif

Kramer is a rational guy, but perhaps his mod is something specific to his own tastes and his ears. Almost everyone else, it seems, has reported highs so exagerrated that they can't stand to listen to them anymore.

YMMV seems more appropriate than usual ...

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 8
I think the big reason people want to mod them is because it'd be fun. SInce they're cheap (yet good) there's a strong desire to tinker without fearing a big loss. Afterall it is the DIY section and people love to build/tinker. Obviously I'd use one pair as pure experiment, and just recable the other one for more practical uses.

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 8
So hwo does it sound compared to the stock setup? (I might cut the backs and put in screens anyways just cause it could be amusing if it can be done.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Youre not going to take a $15 junk-can and turn it into an SR225.

IMHO the KSC75 sounds very good off the shelf. The mods I've done should only really be considered if you're like me and find the KSC75 bass too bloated. But even then, theyre still just a tweeked KSC75, nothing more.

Modding is fun. And thats the real reason for playing around with these things. Experiment... learn about acoustics, resonance and sound reproduction first hand. Train your ears, listen critically and find out what sounds good to you and find out what your preferences are. Take what I have done and merely use it as a baseline for other ideas. Heck... plop em in an SR60 and see how it sounds... you'll be the first to do so.

Jun 21, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 8
I agree, the act of modding is fun in and of itself. The KSC-75s are a fairly easy pair to mod, sound great, and don't cost much if in the event you mess them up. Ever since I've recabled mine and a few other people's, I've been tinkering and trying to make wood cups for them. The only problem is finding the proper headband or completely removing the drivers from the plastic housing.

I first tried hot gluing the drivers into a closed vintage Koss headphone. But the sound was horribly recessed. For the Sony mod, you can cut out some metal screen to cover the hole and make it look like some weird Sony/Koss/Grado hybrid. And if you're artistically inclined with a Dremel, even make some kind of design instead of just a hole.

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 8
I'd tend to buy some SR60 that aren't broken instead... and look at the source or amp if the sound isn't where you want it. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back