So I went and tried out all the Grados today, and..........
Aug 31, 2005 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
this is bad! I want the 325i badly!!!!!!
lust.gif

Some pix of the phones:
Grados1.jpg

60.jpg

80.jpg

125.jpg

225.jpg

325i.jpg

When I first saw them, they don't look as cheaply made as others have claimed. Funny thing is that the only thing that is distinguishing the 60, 80, and 125 is the button. the wires are a lot thicker than I had imagined
eek.gif
yet they are flexible.

When I went to the store, they only had the sr60, 80, 125, and 225 on demos. There are also some AKG Kxx and some cheaper Senns there but those didn’t interest me at all, I went there just for the Grados
icon10.gif

The 325i wasn't on demo and I almost missed it, after I tried out all the phones, I was concluding that the sr225 sounded the best out there for me, until I saw the 325i on a shelve beside me. I had a fellow rep took it out for me and WOW they look beautiful!
wub.gif

Stuff that I brought along today :
I brought my mini, with songs encoded in LAME -best quality (which I can barely differentiate from lossless), SR-71, Canare 4E6S IC, and my PX100 for reference. My inventory is as stated in my sig.

When I saw the 325i, my sr-71 went out of battery...and unfortunately I didn't have any spare batts around so I tested them via the ipod head-out.

Some Quick Impression on them:
I love the px100, I find them rather fun, and I definitely like it more than the ety er6. I chose the sr-60 to be the AB partner with my px-100. The px-100 was driven directly from my ipod's head-out, its bass is sufficient via the head-out if not overwhelming for some; the sr-60 is hooked to my SR-71. There is no competition at all. The sr-60 is better than the px-100 in all departments, less the bass. Bass on the px-100 is definitely much more full bodied, but regardless, the px-100 sounds like crap (literally) compared to the sr-60 in overall. the px-100 suddenly sounded so muffled, so compressed, dark, stuffy......the sr-60 is the exact opposite, lively, airy, even the so called "no soundstage" on the grados sounded better than the px-100. Nonetheless, the Px-100 serves it's purpose well as a portable phone at that given price, it doesn't leak as much as the sr-60, but if sound quality is the only thing you concern...really...just forget about the px100, the extra USD20 you pay for the sr-60 is definitely worth it.

I went and ABed the sr-60 and sr-80 next. My first impression when I put on the 80s is: "My goodness....how could anybody put this on their head!" I have no idea what is the reason for the bowls to exist. To make the phones circumaural-like? no way, the pads' diameter is not large enough to go around anybody's ear, let alone a kid. The depth of the pads is also not deep enough and my ears were touching the drivers, and it really hurts. Additionally, the foams are really rough with texture of an 800grit sand paper (maybe a little exaggerating). Anyway, the 60's were with comfies. With the bowls, the 80's improved bass isn't very significant when compared to the sr-60 with comfies. But when I swap the sr-60 with bows from another pair of grados, the bass on sr-60 fades away slightly. imho, the sr-80 is not worth the price for this slight improvement. Ok, anyway, back to sr60 (comfies) vs sr-80(bowls). When I switched between them, the sr-80 is very similar to the sr-60 but a little livelier, slightly brighter and thinner sounding. Yeah, it's due to the pads, and I prefer the comfies on all of them to the bowls anytime.

I moved to the sr225 next, compared it with the 60 and 80. every time I move up a stage, they sounded more and more lively, with better clarity and instrument separation. The difference between the 225 with bowls and 60 with comfies is very significant. The 225 is definitely better than the sr60, mostly on the vocal and the instrument separation. Vocal is cleaner on the 225, not thin...but cleaner. The 225 is also a little brighter than both the 80s and 60s, just by a small margin imho, i could barely distinguish it...but my gf managed to hear the difference. With the comfies on the 225, it sounded much more towards my taste, not as bright, slightly warmer, and the bass is really nice
smily_headphones1.gif
i find it very sennheiser-like.

The 125 is the weirdest sounding one of all of them, I have no idea how to describe it...it just sounds weird and I don't have much memory of it coz I just didn't like it at all. Then, I saw the 325i when I was about to leave. Like i said earlier, when I was about to try it, my sr-71 went out of battery, how unfortunate...
doh.gif

The 325i looks really beautiful, and not just the look, it is the smoothest sounding one of all of them even with bowls, and it wasn’t even burned in. The sr-60 with comfies was really smooth, but it lacks the details and separation of the higher-end grados, the 325i has it all imho. I’m definitely getting one very soon, but also considering the Ms-2i now. You know, My Hd-650’s position is not that safe anymore
biggrin.gif
and I’m glad that they didn’t have the RS-1 and RS-2 there.

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 16
Wow Grado senn and AKG all in the same place!!
Now pop a fresh batt in that beastly amp and head back for session 2... Only this time demo the K501, and HD650/600/580 with that amp. Bring some classical and traditional jazz.
Dont know how used those demo's are, but keep in mind their sound will change with burn in time. K501s, HD600/650s in particular need ample burn in time.

Remember.... shop with your ears, and resist the all too common urge to hear them with your eyes.

Good Luck!!! brace yourself for wallet impact.

**edit** I think the SR60 has a lower grade cable than the others. and no youre not exagerating Bowl foam when new is ear-bruisingly painfull.
WOW!! 500+ posts and this is your first Grado demo-session!! What took you so long?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 16
Actually, they only had the AKG Kxx (2 digit models), I think some are even discontinued. Man I wished they had beyer and the K501, I really wanted to try them without buying a pair to do so
biggrin.gif

They had the Senn 600 there, I would really love to try it but I already spent 2 hours there and the shop was about to close. They didn't have the 580 though, the second highest end Senn they had was the 570, which I used to own and pretty much still remember how it sounds. No way it sounds like grado!
icon10.gif
and it has the sibilance that I really hate. Eventhough the Grados are rather bright, none of them had any sibilance at all! fantastic, and honestly I dont find them any bit fatiguing, but the er6 was really a quite horrible experience.

I feel bad going back there and not buying anything
icon10.gif
I was about to conclude and get a pair of 325i from A4Audio for 340USD shipped and taxed. best price i could find in Canada.

When i think about it, washing the bowls a few times with fabric softener might work
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Glad you like the Grados. I demoed all of them too (excluding RS2 and SR 80) and like the 225 the best from that particular setup. The 325 was too harsh for my ears.

If thats the case, then you must listen to the MS-2i, not as bright as the 325i, but with all the goodness, and then some.

I don't know why they don't put bowls as stock on the lower end grado's.

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 16
Most people find the 325i's brighter than the rest....you didn't hear a broken-in one, so that may account for you thinking it was smoother when in fact, it might turn out to be brighter.

I didn't find the extra price of the 325i's to be worth it. They were also heavier, and less comfortable on my head. I have originally set out to buy those, but ended up with 225's instead despite the downgrade in looks (who said I'm superficial and only care about pretty looks and nice boxes!?!). The only thing I wish is that the 225's had the leather headpad.

Aug 31, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 16
kin0kin,

Thanks for sharing your demo experience, but just to show how we all hear things differently, I'll share some of mine. I was able to demo the Grado 80's up through the 325i's. I thought there was an increase in sound quality as I went up, with the exception of the 225. Maybe they were broken, but the 225's were just to colored for me.

Sep 1, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 16
Glad you liked the 325i's. I love them, and don't think they're too bright. When I listen to my sr80's they sound terribly un-detailed comparatively.
My Only complaint is that they get heavy sometimes. For that reason alone I'm thinking about trying out some 225's. But I'm very happy with my 325i's.

Sep 1, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 16
I say go for the 325i
smily_headphones1.gif
.. if you are looking for the SR Series. I just purchased the RS1 and having been with the 325i for nearly 2 months, I now miss its crystal clearity and high end impact when listening to the RS1. Both have a different signature and I am now working hard to like the RS1 and hope my new AMP on the way will help me out in that.

But if you pair the 325i from a bright source, it can be the biggest nightmare. 'coz the highs are ear shattering at time. Now comparing the 325i directly with the RS1s I realize its strengths and weakness. The 325i is bright, but because of that every time a new instrument comes in, the effect makes you blink your eyes. Its totally awesome. With the RS1s the sound is more rounded, mellow and you don't blink an eye even at high volumes. But the RS1s soundstage and instrument seperation is awesome.

In short, if paired well and ONLY IF PAIRED WELL, the 325i can be a killer can.

Sep 1, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Glad you liked the 325i's. I love them, and don't think they're too bright. When I listen to my sr80's they sound terribly un-detailed comparatively.
My Only complaint is that they get heavy sometimes. For that reason alone I'm thinking about trying out some 225's. But I'm very happy with my 325i's.

the 225 sounds very nice as well. it may be really due to the 325i not burned in, it really sounded smoother than the others, and the sound stage is definitely better than the 225. Im so close to buying one but i think I really should go back and audition it one more time.

Sep 1, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
I say go for the 325i
smily_headphones1.gif
.. if you are looking for the SR Series. I just purchased the RS1 and having been with the 325i for nearly 2 months, I now miss its crystal clearity and high end impact when listening to the RS1. Both have a different signature and I am now working hard to like the RS1 and hope my new AMP on the way will help me out in that.

But if you pair the 325i from a bright source, it can be the biggest nightmare. 'coz the highs are ear shattering at time. Now comparing the 325i directly with the RS1s I realize its strengths and weakness. The 325i is bright, but because of that every time a new instrument comes in, the effect makes you blink your eyes. Its totally awesome. With the RS1s the sound is more rounded, mellow and you don't blink an eye even at high volumes. But the RS1s soundstage and instrument seperation is awesome.

In short, if paired well and ONLY IF PAIRED WELL, the 325i can be a killer can.

yeah, the impact....man they are actually scarry. but guess what, it is not that bad with the grados. When I first listened to the ety er6, they gave me the same feeling. but not as pleasant as the grados. with the er6, when the highs come in...it sounds like exploding firecracker...."PAK"....really sharp and impactful...so much that I got afraid of using it. the grados dont, that's where I am impressed with it. but they are definitely some of the brightest cans ive ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back