So...I want to ditch the Logitech X-530..
Aug 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

1audioz

100+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I'm tired of my Logitech speakers. They sound bad. How bad? Bad compared to my little portable audio rig (sflo:2 > go-vibe martini > audio-technica ck10)

I have a limited knowledge of desktop audio components and speakers and such. I listen to all kinds of music and my collection is mainly MP3/MPC/Vorbis-Q5/FLAC.

In late September(or now in fact), I'll be looking into purchasing some new speakers. Active or Passive? Regular bookshelf or "studio monitors"?

Budget: $300-$500 AUD

I currently use my speakers directly from my motherboard audio. I've been looking at some M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe monitors available for ~$355 in my area.

If I were to get the BX5a's, how would I connect them to my computer? Would I need (should I buy) to get an external USB DAC to get the best performance?

-Thanks.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 4
The simplest way is with a cable like this one: http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-CMP159-Stereo-Phone-Y-Cable/dp/B000068O3C/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

It's not the optimal way of doing it, but it will work until you can get a new soundcard/DAC. Even hooked up that way it'll still be significantly cleaner and clearer sound than you're getting out of those nasty Logitech speakers.

I run the BX5's right now and they're connected to the internal crossover in my sub, so sound goes out from the computer to the sub, then from there to the speakers. My next purchase is probably a Little Dot DAC_1 USB. Once I do that, I'll just run separate outs from the DAC to the Sub and the Speakers. Probably use the XLR connections for the BX5a's.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 4
So say I wanted to include the Firestone Audio Fubar II USB DAC...

My setup would be like this?

f2k --> USB DAC --> RCA to RCA --> RCA to 1/4" adapters --> BX5a 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back