So I wanna buy a video ipod BUT...
Dec 6, 2005 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Vedder323

500+ Head-Fier
Ive been looking at getting a video ipod but it seems the screens are really, really easy to scratch up. Any suggestions you guys have for dealing with this? A friend of mine picked hers up and keeps it in the slip cover and in less than a week, its been scratched to hell...
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Ive been looking at getting a video ipod but it seems the screens are really, really easy to scratch up. Any suggestions you guys have for dealing with this? A friend of mine picked hers up and keeps it in the slip cover and in less than a week, its been scratched to hell...
frown.gif

I still have the cover that came with it on for over a month. It is starting to wear but I am getting the invisible shield this week. If you take care of it and/or get a case, I believe you will be ok.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 47
I used an idea off of a user at ilounge.com.

Went to Walmart and got some clear vinyl from the fabric department. Measuring out the dimensions of the iPod, I made a cheap wrap that basically mimicks the plastic wrapping that comes with iPod but thicker and more durable. I used an exacto knife to cut out a hole for the headphone out and the dock input at the bottom, and now every inch of my iPod is protected.

This is an extremely cheap (approximately $.60), temporary solution until you find a case you're content with. The sheet of vinyl I bought was about a foot in length and was more than enough to make four wraps.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 47
Do NOT get "The Best Skins Ever" - that 3M material is NOT the same as the InvisibleShield. Stick with the real deal, the InvisibleShield - the bit on my scrollwheel is totally scratchless.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 47
Another good solution, especially if you plan to use an amp, is the Agent 18 case. Head-Fi's link function isn't working at the moment, but www.agent18.com will get you there. They offer great scratch protection, zero hassle installation, and add very little bulk.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I still have the cover that came with it on for over a month.

At least I'm not alone in doing this. Thought I was the only one.

I too will be looking at a protector soon, and the Invisible Shield will be my vote for what to buy as I'm buying one too.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 47
Hey Jahn is the Invisible sheild difficult to apply? My dad got my mom an black 5g for christmas and I can just see her getting upset if it gets scratched, so I was thinking maybe I could order one and either myself or my dad could put it on.

On another note...the 5g's don't come with a wall charger, I'm assuming that you don't need a new type of one for the video iPods correct? I need to get her one of those too...

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 47
A good alternative to the Invisible Shield is the Martin Fields protector. I prefer it-- clearer, and no water needed to apply it.

If it's just the screen you're worried about, grab one of those Intec PSP Safe Screen protectors. Doesn't quite cover the whole face, but will cover the screen and clickwheel totally. Can't be beat for visibility, either. I wish HORI made a PSP-sized crystal filter...
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Hey Jahn is the Invisible sheild difficult to apply? My dad got my mom an black 5g for christmas and I can just see her getting upset if it gets scratched, so I was thinking maybe I could order one and either myself or my dad could put it on.

On another note...the 5g's don't come with a wall charger, I'm assuming that you don't need a new type of one for the video iPods correct? I need to get her one of those too...

the invisible shield isn't difficult to put on, but it does require a lot of patience...and it will take 24 hours to "cure" before you can use the ipod. it's not as difficult as some have claimed, but it does require patience. i'd say go for it.

also, no ipod since the 2nd generation has come with a wall charger. but, if you have one handy, you can use it with the video ipod. although it only syncs via USB, you can charge it via FW and USB.

lastly, i would stay away from the martin fields cover. yes, it looks clearer and it feels harder, but it actually scratches and peels quite easily. it looks good for the first couple of weeks, but then you get what you pay for. the invisible shield, on the other hand, requires a bit more work to put on and does give a little bit of a matte look (though only at some angles), but it's really awesome how it protects. and, it doesn't peel at all. highly recommend!

Dec 7, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 47
In my experience, the Invisible Shield "cures" overnight. I applied it at 9pm and i used it in the morning. Bear in mind that i took 30mins to use a napkin to soak the water away. Did this for about 15 mins so that there won't be any bubbles.

Kugino,

I had a 4g ipod photo previously and it came with wall charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back