So I upgraded from the airhead to the micro...
Sep 16, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chriscu1

100+ Head-Fier
My source is a 5G Ipod playing 256 VBR and 320 CBR AAC, fed via line out and my phones are HD650. I have been using a 2006 TA for a few months, and I recently bought the micro from the forums from GreatDane.

I have to say, I really really like the Micro (it has the desktop module). Insane amount of power. I have found for the HD650's I put it on medium gain, and I'm at 10:00, which I'm guessing is about 1/3 total volume. The sound is also very clean. The airhead requires me to put it on high gain and at about 2/3 volume to reach the same volume level.

That all being said, I now realize even more how much of a deal the airhead is. Sure it has not nearly the same amount of juice the micro has, but it's still a quality amp for the price. I'd say once I matched the same volume level on the airhead and micro, I clearly preferred the micro, but given the battery life I get from airhead (about 25 hours), it still will do the job when I need to travel.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one based on your budget.

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Hey! I'm glad you like it.
600smile.gif

Yes, it is quite powerful and I found that I never needed high gain except for the 600 Ohm K240M that I once owned.

My only gripe about the Micro is the poor battery life...other than that I liked it very much. If it had a built-in Li-ion battery it'd be damn near perfect imo. I found it to have a slightly warm sound (crossfeed off) with an obvious bass boost with crossfeed engaged (which I liked).

I traded crossfeed for battery life with my AE-2...if I didn't have money to burn I'd have invested in higher quality Ni-MH batteries and that amp would still be mine
icon10.gif
I think you'll agree, first rate build quality with the Micro, it has a unique look.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 5
The Micro was my first amp and led me to all sorts of obsession.
smily_headphones1.gif

My only gripe with the Airhead and Bithead amps is the fact that the cable connections are on the corners.

Headroom makes awesome gear.

GAD

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say, I really really like the Micro (it has the desktop module). Insane amount of power. I have found for the HD650's I put it on medium gain, and I'm at 10:00, which I'm guessing is about 1/3 total volume. The sound is also very clean. The airhead requires me to put it on high gain and at about 2/3 volume to reach the same volume level.

I use mine at about 8, on Medium gain. I guess that the volume can be roughly calculated using the MicroDAC.

I put a thin line from a white paint-pen down the groove on the volume knob.

0000011000_1166.jpg

I like how 'Low' and 'Medium' are sort of oddly placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back