So I tried the SR-60s today.
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

100+ Head-Fier
How underwhelming.

Now, I'm by no means an audiophile, and am actually just getting shipped my first decent pair of headphones (MDRV6s), but I went to my friends house today and found out he had SR60s (I had no idea he had them!!), and tried them. The headband was almost too small for my head, and the comfort was awkward... It wasnt horrible, the fit was weird though. The thing leaked. VERY badly. But thats what the headphone is, an extremely open one, so I wont bug anyone on that detail.

I keep hearing that these Grado's are "the gateway drug to audiophilism" and "amazing treble producers" and "an absolute solid performer", and in the trebles, I agree, they are detailed, have just enough quantity, and are great. The mid is "just there"... Nothin special to it, it isnt bad, it's just bland, and the bass is literally nonexistant. Now I'm no basshead, but I would like atleast some feel of bass in my headphones.

I almost feel like the SR60 experience was overhyped, the bar was set too high, now I wasnt expecting STAX, but I wasnt expecting something so... not-up-to-hype. Also, an important thing I should mention, is that it's ridiculously easy to overpower it, using just my E6 and my iPhone 3G, I could easily get the speaker (not even at full volume, but moreso 3-4 notches away from full volume) to hit the magnet and crackle and overpower. It handles less power than my Sony Giiqs, which arent very "power-handling" to begin with. :/

So what was everyone elses "first experience with the SR60" like?

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 33
I had a very pleasant first Grado experience. They blew my headphones at the time HD202 Sennheisers out of the water and had incredible speed and detail compared to anything I had heard before. The Grados are still one of my favorite fun cans to go to for listening to music.

That said, I know there are people who have terrible experiences with Grados. They're an incredibly hit or miss headphone. I don't recommend them to anyone without first telling them that they should really hear a Grado before buying, or at least be sure that they can return them in the case that they hate them.

Quote:
How underwhelming.

Now, I'm by no means an audiophile, and am actually just getting shipped my first decent pair of headphones (MDRV6s), but I went to my friends house today and found out he had SR60s (I had no idea he had them!!), and tried them. The headband was almost too small for my head, and the comfort was awkward... It wasnt horrible, the fit was weird though. The thing leaked. VERY badly. But thats what the headphone is, an extremely open one, so I wont bug anyone on that detail.

I keep hearing that these Grado's are "the gateway drug to audiophilism" and "amazing treble producers" and "an absolute solid performer", and in the trebles, I agree, they are detailed, have just enough quantity, and are great. The mid is "just there"... Nothin special to it, it isnt bad, it's just bland, and the bass is literally nonexistant. Now I'm no basshead, but I would like atleast some feel of bass in my headphones.

I almost feel like the SR60 experience was overhyped, the bar was set too high, now I wasnt expecting STAX, but I wasnt expecting something so... not-up-to-hype. Also, an important thing I should mention, is that it's ridiculously easy to overpower it, using just my E6 and my iPhone 3G, I could easily get the speaker (not even at full volume, but moreso 3-4 notches away from full volume) to hit the magnet and crackle and overpower. It handles less power than my Sony Giiqs, which arent very "power-handling" to begin with. :/

So what was everyone elses "first experience with the SR60" like?

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 33
True, I mean, it's not that I didnt enjoy the experience, the treble detail was amazing! But really, once you take out treble, the whole thing is just "meh... not bad I guess... nothing amazing". I guess I was just one of those "miss" people. I guess thats not all bad xD It just means next time I go looking around to buy headphones (if the MDRV6s that are getting shipped to me arent "the ones"), I can rule out the Grados. :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 33

MDR-V6 is pretty decent I think. Flat sound (if you like that), produces great detail and isolation is very good. Can't beat them for the price.
Quote:
If you're this underwhelmed by the SR60, prepare for some MAJOR disappointment when your V6's arrive. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 33
The reason grados are seen as a gateway to audiophilia IMO is that they give a sample of the clarity you will find in higher end headphones and they inject a good amount of energy into the music. Of course there are sacrifices to be made to get a treble that good at a reasonable price, the soundstage, bass, and comfort mainly. I started with a SR-80i and enjoyed it for the time I had it, but it has its flaws. But once you've heard what high end headphones have to offer you won't be able to go back.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 33
How come? Why would I get dissapointed in the V6s when the Grado and V6s are radically different? I heard that the V6s are very neutral while the Grado's are far from that. I like treble, mid, and bass to all be there, not specialization in one (yes I know V6s have lacking bass, but I'm not a basshead. I've also heard that the V6s have a moreso prominent bass with a nice touch after burn in, which is exactly what I want.), and the V6s seem to be less specialized. So why would I get dissapointed in two completely diff headphones for the same reason?

Quote:
If you're this underwhelmed by the SR60, prepare for some MAJOR disappointment when your V6's arrive. 

Quote:
The reason grados are seen as a gateway to audiophilia IMO is that they give a sample of the clarity you will find in higher end headphones and they inject a good amount of energy into the music. Of course there are sacrifices to be made to get a treble that good at a reasonable price, the soundstage, bass, and comfort mainly. I started with a SR-80i and enjoyed it for the time I had it, but it has its flaws. But once you've heard what high end headphones have to offer you won't be able to go back.

True. But treble isnt everyting for me, I like the whole "package" instead of just treble. I mean, if I just listened to like classical or music that only has treble instruments, that that'd be great, but I dont. So.. Oh well xD

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 33
Which earpads were you using?  The S-Cush Comfies (the stock pads) are too hot in the upper ranges for me.  And the pads make a lot of difference with those headphones.  Try them again sometime with the L-Cush pads. 

I personally use some custom pads on my SR60i's and I find them to be quite good for certain types of music.  They aren't sit back and relax headphones however.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:

Yeah, it's decent for the price. I've owned a pair for many years (check sig). But the SR60 is a superior headphone, IMO. 

+ "for treble"

Thats what should be added to your post. Not to shoot you down, but whenever I compared the V600 and V6s, people ALWAYS say the V6s reign superior. I havent heard V6s, but I have heard V600s, and I prefer the V600 sound over the SR-60 sound, so if the V6s are better, for me, then I think the V6s are superior.

Different strokes for different folks, either way, "for treble" should be added.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
How come? Why would I get dissapointed in the V6s when the Grado and V6s are radically different? I heard that the V6s are very neutral while the Grado's are far from that. I like treble, mid, and bass to all be there, not specialization in one (yes I know V6s have lacking bass, but I'm not a basshead. I've also heard that the V6s have a moreso prominent bass with a nice touch after burn in, which is exactly what I want.), and the V6s seem to be less specialized. So why would I get dissapointed in two completely diff headphones for the same reason?

Actually, your assumption is wrong. The V6 is NOT a flat, neutral headphone. It is very heavily tilted toward the treble as well. In fact, the treble is even harsher than the Grado (which is its biggest critcism). 

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
Which earpads were you using?  The S-Cush Comfies (the stock pads) are too hot in the upper ranges for me.  And the pads make a lot of difference with those headphones.  Try them again sometime with the L-Cush pads. 

I personally use some custom pads on my SR60i's and I find them to be quite good for certain types of music.  They aren't sit back and relax headphones however.

I was using the stock pads that come with them. So the S-Cush's I suppose. I dont think I'll get a chance to try them with L-Cush as my friend who owns them isnt an audiophile.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:

Actually, your assumption is wrong. The V6 is NOT a flat, neutral headphone. It is very heavily tilted toward the treble as well. In fact, the treble is even harsher than the Grado (which is its biggest critcism). 

Really?! Search my thread up when I was asking which headphones to get next, everyone said the V6's were neutral and analytical! EVERYONE. LEGITIMATELY EVERY SINGLE PERSON :S Are you sure this isnt your pure opinion?!

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 33
Not sure how it can be purely opinion. The V6 and SR60 are both treble-heavy headphones. 

EDIT: I'm not trying to knock the V6's, though. They're great for the price. I used one for roughly 4 years between high school and college. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
Really?! Search my thread up when I was asking which headphones to get next, everyone said the V6's were neutral and analytical! EVERYONE. LEGITIMATELY EVERY SINGLE PERSON :S Are you sure this isnt your pure opinion?!

Just found a review for you, of someone complaining that the V6  are too bright:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/466419/sony-mdr-v6-too-bright-fatiguing-how-does-jvc-ha-rx700-compare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back