so i took the plunge.
Jan 18, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snare drums have a nice crack to them instead of the more cymbal like wash they used to have. cymbals seem more clear. what i used to think was a good hi hat crash seems like a fuzzy washed out sonic blur compared to what i'm getting now.

Heh, cymbal sound has been the motivation for almost all my upgrades over the last couple years.

I play drums and I yearn for the day when wearing my phones sounds like I'm playing.
smily_headphones1.gif

*edit* On your EQ settings, if you're getting too much sibilance (everything sounds too piercing and words like "Yes" sound like yesssssssssss on female vocals), it's mainly the 6-8khz band (contrary to what you'd expect - the 14-20khz band). I notice you dropped the highs a lot, but this might not be good. It removes a lot of the air and focus from the piercing highs. Try lowering the 6-10khz band and flattening out the higher frequencies.

Also are you sure it's sub-bass you're hearing? If it's sloppy (ie. car stereo bass) it's probably more in the 100-150hz region. Sub bass adds the body to the bass sound and is more felt than heard (though it certainly can be heard). Try flattening the 20-100hz region and dipping the 100-200hz a touch.

Fun fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, cymbal sound has been the motivation for almost all my upgrades over the last couple years.

I play drums and I yearn for the day when wearing my phones sounds like I'm playing.
smily_headphones1.gif

*edit* On your EQ settings, if you're getting too much sibilance (everything sounds too piercing and words like "Yes" sound like yesssssssssss on female vocals), it's mainly the 6-8khz band (contrary to what you'd expect - the 14-20khz band). I notice you dropped the highs a lot, but this might not be good. It removes a lot of the air and focus from the piercing highs. Try lowering the 6-10khz band and flattening out the higher frequencies.

Also are you sure it's sub-bass you're hearing? If it's sloppy (ie. car stereo bass) it's probably more in the 100-150hz region. Sub bass adds the body to the bass sound and is more felt than heard (though it certainly can be heard). Try flattening the 20-100hz region and dipping the 100-200hz a touch.

Fun fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

great tips, thank you.

came in to post an update. phones are really starting to open up. things are sounding more spaced out. out of the box it was kind of like a ball of sound where as now everything is coming out in the open. sometimes i think i hear stuff in the room with me. kinda creepy actually.
blink.gif

back on the EQ topic. the bass i'm trying to push out is the acoustic sound of the drums. it's not the boom i want it's the sound of the impact. in the highs i'm trying to push up the guitar and vocals and cut out some hiss from cymbals and "yes" words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back