So I thought I would get the Denon AH-D2000...
May 2, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #31 of 45
The DT880s are getting a lot of praise on the forums, but it seems to be directed at the 600ohm version only, which would mean I'd probably have to get a dedicated tube amp to power them. Not gonna happen! Bit of a shame, always wanted to try some Beyers.

May 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, my bad! coz I've read some ppl saying that the Pro/80 was perfectly flat to their ears....eeeek
biggrin.gif

well, we all hear differently, use different sources, have different tastes and expectations...I bought a Pro750 after reading all the hype on the forum, hahahah..I returned it the next day.

awww. that sucks perry.

what did you hate particularly about the 750's? I think you should of gave them some burn in before returning them tho T_T

May 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #33 of 45
Hey KayoDot,

I would go with the AH-D2000. Very comfortable and because of their sound signature, they never seem to get boring. I could listen to one song for hours on end and it'll be brand new again just because the A2000 gives you this amazing listening experience. I wouldn't think twice on this beautifully designed and insanely sounding closed can. It's truly one of a kind. If you really wanted headphones with less bass and flatter sound, just go with an open back, ie: AKG702, HD595, DT990, and you know the rest.

Honestly, the A2000 is one of the best closed cans I've ever listened to and I can't wait to upgrade to it's bigger bros the A5000 and A7000 within a few years.

The A2000 couldn't get any better. If I was to describe a perfect closed can, without a doubt in mind I would firstly mention the A2000.

GL on you decision, but once again, all I can tell you is not to over look this can or think twice about it. You can't compare a DT990 to it really. Like you, I've had a hard time deciding for a long time about what to get. But now, I'm extremely glad I went with the A2000.

Yeah, I could have had a good time with the HD650, AKG K702, or DT990s which I wanted before, but I knew after using them for a few days that they'll get really boring after a while and before I knew it, I would have purchased the A2000 anyway. Heck, I even purchased the above and used them for a week before they got all flat and boring on me; I felt I needed something with a spark. But, I didn't want to waste more money and just purchase headphones that compliment, so I just went straight with the A2000 and I don't regret it for a slight second or think about going back to the HD650, AKG K702 or DT 990. I'm 100% completely satisfied with the A2000.

Let me tell you something man, I put these babies on everyday and I know I'm going to have a good time...I know I'm going to feel like pumping up the volume and just have a great time. I swear not a day passes by where I feel bored of the AH-D2000. They always make my day, even if I'm having a long day.

It just couldn't get any better, thanks Denon!

tongue_smile.gif

May 2, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help Ham, a very informative post.

After weighing things up, I've decided I'll just use these headphones for home/desk use. This opens up more possibilities (namely open headphones). How would you compare the D2000s to your HD600s? I tried the 650s in an airport about a year ago, and I remember enjoying them very much, even if they were hooked up to some godawful music.

The HD600 has a sound that you can listen to for hours and hours and not get fatigued. I can listen to the D2000 for hours also and not get fatigued but the HD600 is better in that respect. Some people complain about the highs in the D2000 being too harsh or too sibilant. I've not had that problem. The HD600 is definitely less sibilant though and more forgiving.

The way I compliment the HD600 is say they never really suck. At first that seems like not much of a compliment, but it really is a compliment. Lots of headphones do indeed suck at some point for certain music. The HD600 don't. The HD600 may not always be the optimal choice for certain music, but it is never going to be a choice that sucks. I can select music that makes the D2000 suck if I don't have the EQ enabled. When I enable the EQ the suck goes away (literally because I'm correcting for a midrange suckout). The HD600 never needs or wants EQ.

The HD600 isn't the most lively or dynamic headphone. It needs to be turned up loud to get the life in it and get the dynamics. A bigger and more dynamic amp also really helps. But the HD600 is always going to be on the polite side of the equation. It doesn't want to risk offending you with too much of a dynamic and/or edgy attack. That can make rock a little dull compared to other headphones.

The D2000 is more dynamic especially at lower volumes. The D2000 goes deeper and is able to give more of the bass drum or kick drum punch. You know when the kick drum is going and for some music that is very important. The HD600 still gives you the kick drum but you have to listen for it sometimes and you don't know it is there in the same way that you know the kick drum is there with the D2000.

If you're picky about frequency balance and timbre you'll probably want to EQ the Denon. In classical music the EQ will give the violins their proper edge, otherwise they'll sound a bit dull. In hard rock the EQ will give the guitar and sometimes the vocal the proper edge, otherwise they can sound a bit dull or even completely sucked out. Other times the EQ makes no difference. Depends on the band/music/mixing/mastering/song. I'll attach a picture of the EQ curve I use with the D2000. It will give you an idea of where the recessed midrange is and how wide that range is. I give it 6 dB of boost which is a lot, but it's what sounds right to me. You can get away with less boost if you want.

One of the reasons I gravitated to using the EQ with the D2000 is that I've had the HD580 and HD600 for over a decade. I've become used to how the music sounds with the HD600's flat presentation and no real recessed midrange. The HD600 is still a distant sound (like sitting farther back from the music) but nothing is sucked out or noticeably recessed. So I've become used to that and when the D2000 was doing it differently and making it obvious that the midrange was recessed and sometimes dull I had the need to fix it. Fortunately the fix is easy with the right EQ.

May 2, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #36 of 45
From my limited experience (and irrational fear or equalization) I'd personally go with an open headphone unless you really need the sound isolation/blockage. I love my Grado HF-1 about as much as my Denon D7000 and SR225 about as much as my D5000. And in both cases the open headphone cost 1/2 the price as the closed headphone.

The D2000, HD600 and SR225 are very popular headphones. You should really give them a listen if you can.

May 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #38 of 45
I think you'll like the D2000 with dubstep and similar electronic. With music like that you probably won't be feeling the need to EQ the midrange. The EQ is more of an issue with acoustic, electric guitar, and sometimes vocals.

If you get listening to acoustic and similar music, and after your wallet recovers, you might want to consider an open headphone as a second desktop headphone. Open headphones have some advantages and disadvantages. The advantages tend to come into play more with naturally recorded and studio recorded music rather than the electronic music. With electronic music the closed headphones can have more fun.

May 2, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks buz. Having read some more topics and threads, I think I have narrowed it down to the Denon AH-D2000 and the Sennheiser HD650. Obviously both very different headphones.

Can anyone who has experience with both of them give their opinions on how the two differ, and what they handle better? Which will be easier to drive? I think my Cambridge 640A should have enough juice to power either...

I run my D2000 through a 640a connected to a DVD player/PS3 for music. No fancy cables so I do get a lot of buzz but that's it I think.

Your 640a will definitely be able to drive the D2000. Compared to my stock soundcard the difference is night and day. The highs are perfect, so detailed but just short of piercing, definitely tolerable. The recessed mids aren't as noticeable (I only notice it in heavy metal music when it starts to sound boring). The bass is great, becomes even more defined and clear, and no loss of impact (if you want more boom cranking the bass knob doesn't distort). And remember, I don't have any fancy cables, so if you do then it may sound even better!

For your dubstep music these headphones will sound terrific. I think this is one genre that isn't so effected by slightly recessed mids, so don't worry about that.

May 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one who don't have a problem with the denon mids?? I think they pretty much go well with the rest of the sound...but that's me.

Nope. I'm with ya
icon10.gif

May 2, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #43 of 45
I would recommend the j$ pads for those d2000 though.

May 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #44 of 45
Arrived about 15 minutes ago. What a good choice. Joker - City Hopper spinning on the turntable has never sounded so good. Now I can crank it up without worrying about the flat below me!

May 5, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #45 of 45
Glad you like them. I absolutely love mine. Enjoy! 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back