So I think it is IEM Time...
Oct 1, 2006 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

benton

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am a highschool student and am forced to take the bus this year(
plainface.gif
)which means lots of music listening and little kid noise blocking. My current rig is a 60GB video and K81DJs but this rig is really just too big. I barely have enough room for my books in my backpack let alone my 60GB and my K81's. So, here is what I am planning on doing.

Ditching the 60GB, getting a 8GB 2G Nano and a pair of IEMs. Now that is where my dilemma is, I know nothing of IEMs and don't know what to do, so I am relying on you guys. Here are the only requirements I have for my IEM's.

-MUST be $200 or under
-Must have some sort of bass because I listen to a good amount of reggae and rap(but also enoy mellow music like Jack Johnson/DMB along with music like Chili Peppers, 311)
-Must have sound quality on par with my K81's
-I prefer a nice aggressive sound that makes me really enoy the music, not a laid back put me to sleep sound
-They must look nice, these will be worn around in public all the time as my portable headphones, don't want them to stick way out of my head or give everyone the What ARE THOSE look

Now I know that the shure e4c, er6i, er4p, and im716 among others are very accepted around here among other things. But what do you guys think is going to suit me?

benton
etysmile.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 7
You didn't mention anithing from Ultimate Ears or Westone. I am currently waiting for an opertunity to sample these and haven't heard them myslef but they are on my list:

UE Super.fi 5 pro
UE Super.fi 5 EB (bass heavy version of the above)
Westone UM1 (reputation for better comfort)

I haven't heard any of them and can't really comment on sound but thaught you might look into them for the follwing. The UE models all have a 2 year warranty and a user replacable cable for 20$ which I think is a great feature when you invest 200$. The Westone is supposed to have a warmer, more bassy sound then the Etymotics. Also all of the above models have relatively low cable noise because the cable is worn above the ear.

Good luck ( I know it's hard to find this equipment locally unless it's from Shure)

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Some considerations from the ones I've heard...

Ety ER4p
Westone UM-2
Shure E5C

Of those three, the Ety is the only one that you could be sure to get under $200. Yet, I have, from time to time, seen the others go for under $200 used. Many feel like the 4P is a bit shy in the bass department. I find it to be tight and have great impact but it doesn't go deep enough to suit you if you're a basshead and I am! Others will also say that the E5C is a bit too laid back for their tastes. I didn't feel that way at all.

It's almost impossible to say what's best for you as only you can say for sure.

My personal preference would be:

1-E5C used IF you can find one low enough on the used market to afford it.

2-UM2. Probably your best bet considering the cost limits

3-ER4p. Very good isolation and the comfort worked pretty well for me with the foamies. Bass wasn't quite deep enough for my taste but these sure can be found for less than $200. IIRC, they respond very well to amping.

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Well I had the Super fi 5 pro but it didn't really feel like it was worth $200 to me if that makes any sense. I have no problem buying used so all of those are in my realm. I will look up the UM2 and e5. I think the Ety isnt going to have enough bass for me. Any other suggestions?

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 7
You know what, I think I am just going to get a lower priced IEM and put my money into SR225's and an amp or something.

So the 716 dominates the ER6i, correct?

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
You know what, I think I am just going to get a lower priced IEM and put my money into SR225's and an amp or something.

So the 716 dominates the ER6i, correct?

correct. Sound-quality-wise.

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Well I had the Super fi 5 pro but it didn't really feel like it was worth $200 to me if that makes any sense.

You got me worried! It's on my list, at the top actualy, and I unfortunately don't have the option to try before I buy. Did you have the older version with the cracking problem? Was the feeling you got in regards to the sound? to the build quality?

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back