So I spend all of this money and time and I still get static
Oct 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

robenco18

Head-Fier
So, I take the time to re-rip, re-download, and convert all of my 18,000 songs into apple lossless format, buy se530 earbuds, by a LOD, a ibasso d2 Viper amp, and the opamps to go along with it. Burn it in for over 300 hours. And I still get static caused by the ipod!

What the heck am I supposed to do about this? I'm listening to Dvorak's New World symphony, second movement, beautiful Largo part, have the amp turned all the way up and I hear static, which I think is from the recording (live recording?). But then I pause it and hear all of the static. It's ridiculous. I thought the amp was supposed to get rid of all of my static.

Am I going to have to live with this? Or is there a solution?

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 20
Headphone amps, cables and heapdhones, even less IEM, are not filters, all the opposite, not sure where did you get that wrong info. That is why the saying: " garbage in/garbage out", and that is exactly what is supposed to happen, if the signal from the source is garbage, you will get a garbage just amplified, period...

How to fix it, simple, get a source that has no noise, but unless you have a quiet source, you will hear all that it will produce.

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by robenco18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have the amp turned all the way up

Why? Most any amp will generate some kind of noise if you have the amp turned all the way up. Is it silent at lower volumes? I wouldn't really call that kind of noise static, though. Does it do this with other music? How much have you tried?

I can't imagine why you'd have that amp turned all the way up, for anything, especially for a pair of IEMs. I'm really concerned about your ears / hearing right now

An Impedance adapter may help - but you don't want to be using one if not necessary - and figuring out just what impedance you want to put in the path won't be so simple

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 20
lol, my god i hope your ears are ok too, the ipod can be quite hissy

A sensitive listening device like an iem will produce hiss coming from the ipod. There is noticable hiss coming from my imod line out through my iqube/ue11s.

Get an impedence adapter, that should cut the hiss.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 20
hahaha my ears are fine. I never actually have it all of the way up. In that song though, it's a quiet part in the orchestra so I can turn it all of the way up without hurting my ears at all. but I never actually have it all of the way up when I'm normally using it.

I get hiss even when I have it at a moderately loud volume. it's just annoying. what other mp3 device/source takes apple lossless files and doesn't hiss as much as the ipod?

and as far as the impedance adapter goes, isn't the amp suppposed help with this, so buying an impedance adapter would be redundant.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 20
NO, the amp does not help this, Garbage in, garbage out, like the poster above said. The amp just amplifies the original signal, so unless your souce is quieter the amp will reflect only what comes in,

The amp is just giving more juice, or "amplifing the signal" to your headphones. Your headphones will produce better sound when its getting a proper current.

It does not cut the hiss from the original source.

Impedence adapter my friend.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 20
yeah, though, it sounds like this isn't really an issue unless you actually stop your music, turn up the volume past what you would normally listen to, and listen for it

is this so? or? is your OCD being violated?

IEMs are indeed ultra-sensitive to hiss, so

I'm not sure if the viper has a low-gain option or not, either.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 20
Not to sting you too badly, but my humble Zune flash player with Q-Jays has no detectable hiss even at what would be too loud to listen to, using simple mp3's at 320k/s. I'm not using any dock/amp/filter, etc.

Try listening to Foo Fighters The Colour and the Shape album 2nd song Monkey Wrench at timestamp 0:11-0:13. There's an intro then a huge pause. I get no hiss at all even playing the song at uncomfortable levels.

I know you have everything you own as apple files, but if the hiss really is so unbearable I can certainly recommend a Zune. Your IEMs should be fine they are 37 ohm I think mine are only 39 ohm so no audible difference I should think.

I get quite distracting hiss from my laptop (bad example), but also from my semi decent harman kardon home theater reciever so I do know what I'm hearing or not.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 20
Robenco18: You are right, at least the iPod Touch which I have is not dead silent. I am also using an external amp which is extremely quiet (you can hardly notice any hiss, even when at full volume, which would immediately destroy my headphones if there was an input signal). The hiss of the ipod on the other hand is inaudible only for volumes, which are bearable for Pop/Rock/Jazz. I could imagine that for very silent passages in classic recordings it gets audible. But there supposedly is a different part of the same classic recording which would kill your headphones/ears when played with the same volume.

The extreme dynamic in some classic recordings tends to make problems on all but very high end equipment.

BTW: Apple Lossless did not help you there. If lossy transform coders like MP3 or AAC are brilliant at one thing, it is silence
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by robenco18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I going to have to live with this? Or is there a solution?

Have you tested your components separately to fix the source of the hiss?

I have the SE530's a 5.5g iPod with iMod, Jumbo Cryo X LOD and an RSA Predator and I am happy that there is now no extraneous hiss/noise within the range of my hearing.

When using my buds or amp plugged straight into the headphone jack I could certainly hear the noise generated by the operation of my pod.

Obviously some recordings have a degree of hiss or noise on them, but this is different from the general hum and noise generated by the components themselves.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to sting you too badly, but my humble Zune flash player with Q-Jays has no detectable hiss even at what would be too loud to listen to, using simple mp3's at 320k/s. I'm not using any dock/amp/filter, etc.

Try listening to Foo Fighters The Colour and the Shape album 2nd song Monkey Wrench at timestamp 0:11-0:13. There's an intro then a huge pause. I get no hiss at all even playing the song at uncomfortable levels.

I know you have everything you own as apple files, but if the hiss really is so unbearable I can certainly recommend a Zune. Your IEMs should be fine they are 37 ohm I think mine are only 39 ohm so no audible difference I should think.

I get quite distracting hiss from my laptop (bad example), but also from my semi decent harman kardon home theater reciever so I do know what I'm hearing or not.

Not to sting you either, but my even more humble setup of the Sansa Fuze and JVC Marshmallows has absolutely no hiss.

If it does, my hearing's worse then I thought!
darthsmile.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to sting you either, but my even more humble setup of the Sansa Fuze and JVC Marshmallows has absolutely no hiss.

If it does, my hearing's worse then I thought!
darthsmile.gif

No sting at all, I bought the zune for how well I liked the UI of the player and I knew going in that it was silent and had good sound quality. The IEMs were more of a personal preference for something higher quality.

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #15 of 20
Well with shure e530 you will get hiss on most sources, the sensitivity is very high. You really should only have to turn your amp up a little to get good sound out of the e530's. If you turn that amp up to 75% on up you are going to get a mountain of hiss from amp amp itself, due to the low imp. and high sensitivity of the shures. Either you have a bad component or you have bad hearing or horrible quality files. Ipod LO is one of the better portable sources to feed an amp. I'm not trying to be mean about the bad hearing, but really with those iems, you should only have to turn your amp to 30% - 50% volume with a good quality properly mastered file. I have had no hiss with all my ipods and my shures using my tomahawk, mini box-e, and iqube at moderate volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back