So I saw a house burn down tonight...
Jul 15, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe its worth noting that in France they have very strict privacy laws. It's illegal to take photo's or video's of people going about their daily business (eg, baguette shopping) without their permission first.

That's plain stupid.

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #32 of 42
There are a lot more stupid laws in the States. Let's not judge another country for valuing their privacy. I think that's a good thing.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot more stupid laws in the States. Let's not judge another country for valuing their privacy. I think that's a good thing.

I'm sure there are more stupid laws here. What if you want to take a picture of a building, and somebody is standing in the way? You have to ask passersby? Huh... seems pointless to me. Privacy in public... psh. At least the Frenchies are smart enough to have gone nuclear; that scores major points with me.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 42
Go scream, "If your in front of me, you agree to be in this picture!" Then take your shot. Anyone who really doesn't want to be there will get out of your way.
wink.gif

Seriously.. Privacy in public can become iffy but in some situations it can definitely cross the line. Paparazzi? I'm sure they don't have a problem with that over there and it's something the world can do without. How about some parts of the UK with the CCTV security cameras. On the other hand, taking casual shots where random people happen to fall in your frame I would hope that even the French don't have a big issue with. Anyway, getting off topic and this is a non-argument as we don't live in France. Sorry for getting off topic.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #35 of 42
I guess as other posters said, if you don't intefere and do anything to slow down the rescue, its fine. But I hate it when there's an accident and people slow down just to look at it.. Thats what causes more accidents.. I just take a quick picture when that happens
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fires are simply hypnotic.

They are indeed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's plain stupid.

Why ? People who live on their image (stars) don't care and won't sue anybody (except when pics are taken in their private life), but imagine the girl who is upset by some jackass who takes pictures of her/him sunbathing topless in her garden and posts them on the internet, at least she has something to defend herself.
But if somebody takes a pic of which you're not the main subject, you can't say anything. So most of the time, even if you're in the middle of the pic, the photographer can always say that he was not shooting you but was trying to do something artistic or wanted to shoot something that was beind you...
Unless you're underage I think, but I'm not sure.

And if we focus on taking pics of houses burning or accidents in general, it's not against the law here either, unless of course somebody needs your help because you can be charged with failure to render assistance to a person in danger.
So nothing illegal, that's just something I find extremely rude and insensitive.

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #40 of 42
Don't you have any respect for those people ? Of course they're not thinking about you when their house is burning down, thank you for the explanation, I wouldn't have thought about it by myself.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #42 of 42
It's a God awful thing to witness such an event. It happened to our family a year ago. We heard a lot of fire sirens and as usual when it sound close we go outside and look. We were surprised to see it was 3 houses down across the street. A two story 4 family all wooden home.

It was totally engulfed in flames which shot up at least 30-4o feet. We were told all got out safely. It was caused by someone who was unable to pay their utility bill and was using candles to light their home. Apparently the cat knocked over a candle and the rest was history.

I can tell you it was huge event and left us all in shock (quite literally). One only hopes it won't happen to them.

I can tell you this it is quite different when it is something live right in front of you compared to seeing on tv or at a distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back