So I received the Terminator Amp.. sounds AMAZING..but has issues
Apr 2, 2010 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AudioICE

New Head-Fier
Got it shipped a few weeks ago from the guy who makes them in China. It's tailor made for W1000's, W5000's, the Denon line, and other low impedance cans. Supposed to sound like the high end Audio Technica ha5000 and has many of the same parts....good news, it does sound really good.

For 250 it's a steal and a half...................BUT

There are issues I can't ignore.

**Every time I turn it on you hear the power click (which is fine)...however, several seconds later you hear the power clicking noise again..and then it just goes off like a machine gun for 10-20 seconds.

**It stops....but then you'll hear it go off like a machine gun for 10 seconds or so at random times. This is the amp itself making the noise, not a sound produced through the phones.

**It also makes the left side of my phones mute at times...

**If the amp is on already and I place my phone end near the jack..you can hear this electrical "hum" through the phones.

So what can be the problem here? Is it safe? All the issues are temporary but it makes me stay clear of long listening sessions in fear that it might explode or something
jecklinsmile.gif

I really want to fix this amp..as it sounds absolutely AMAZING beyond belief. It literally has brought a whole new dynamic to my W1000's. I can hear things that were just not there before, sound stage and instrument seperation is also is greater.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Another point I might add. The inside of the amp looked super clean from the pics the amp's manufacturer posted here a couple months ago. That could have just been a model though, just like pictures of a well prepared Big Mac at McDonalds (they want to make it looks perfect and flawless)

...I partially opened up the backside of the amp to discover white powdering or a "white out" like substance near the soldered ends of wires. I don't know jack sh!t about soldering...is this a concern?

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

Not cool at all. Good luck figuring out the noise mate.

Any idea on what it might be? It's the exact same noise that it makes when you turn it on..but at times it just repeats..like popcorn popping in a microwave or a machine gun.

Bad soldering job perhaps?

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 8
I can confirm the first click as the relay switches turning it on, but nothing else like yours.

Also, is the volume on very low level (knob on the amp, not actual volume) if so, there is channel imbalance as I said on my review.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioICE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another point I might add. The inside of the amp looked super clean from the pics the amp's manufacturer posted here a couple months ago. That could have just been a model though, just like pictures of a well prepared Big Mac at McDonalds (they want to make it looks perfect and flawless)

...I partially opened up the backside of the amp to discover white powdering or a "white out" like substance near the soldered ends of wires. I don't know jack sh!t about soldering...is this a concern?

well i would imagine its definately not normal, and would warrant a return /replacement.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wmf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i would imagine its definately not normal, and would warrant a return /replacement.

image-A4B3_4B9019A2.jpg

The white stuff is the glue to stop the screws from coming loose, it in mine as well.

Look out for loose wires as it might cause it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back