So I plugged my KSC75 into my Ultra micro stack...
Feb 11, 2010 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Arctia

100+ Head-Fier
What are these seriously $15 phones???!!! I'm gonna buy five pairs to last me a lifetime haha.

I had these plugged into my sansa fuze for a long time; they were my travel buddies. I hear some colorations, but I didn't know whether it was the headphone or the fuze. It didn't matter to me since the coloration made the music more engaging.

Out of curiosity I plugged these into my real amp at home. Foobar WASAPI -> Ultra micro DAC -> Ultra micro amp. All I could think about was HOLY SHIET. Most of the coloration are gone, soundstage actually has a little depth now, bass now has real content instead the bloated thump. Not that it had absolutely amazing sound quality compare to my K701, but it was way way more than I expected out of $15.

Anyone else got a pair lying around? Plug it to your good amp and source and see where it takes you.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 19
I own KSC75, PortaPro and now need to find KSC35 to complete the best Koss line ever made
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 19
To me, the KSC75 trumps the PortaPro by leaps and bounds; the latter has no sparkle, and the bass is so unrefined that it's hard to distinguish the notes from the mud. Heck, I was watching "Resovoir Dogs" the other night, and I had to turn the subtitles on, I couldn't tell what the characters and their low voices were saying.
ph34r.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are THE greatest production headphones with regards to price/performance

And below 100$ nothing worth more.

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 19
I never understood the hype around ksc75's ,i think it's time to try them myself.Thank you Arctia

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmdamz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love these too, sadly my pair's right side is dead. I have to play around with the wire to get the sound. Is there anyway to fix this?

Would that be covered by the life time warranty?

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 19
I remember comparing the DT990 Pro (my first high-end cans) with the KSC-75 and being shattered by how small the difference was. The KSC-75 lost out on technical ability (not by a large margin) but were more balanced tonally. To my surprise, they sounded even better with higher-end equipment. The only flaw I've found with their sound is the occasionally peaky treble response.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 19
I tried to find my old KSC75s that I bought awhile ago when I first joined these forums. The sounded really great with the Kramer mod, but now I'm really curious how it will sound in my amp lol.

Just ended up ordering another pair since I guess mine is long lost now (no clue how).

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I love these too, sadly my pair's right side is dead. I have to play around with the wire to get the sound. Is there anyway to fix this?

You can open them up to check the cable connection easily. There are a bunch of guides around. I've done a recable on a set before, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I have the same exact issue! I'm going to send mine in for a replacement. Although the cost of shipping almost equals the price I paid...hah.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the KSC75 trumps the PortaPro by leaps and bounds; the latter has no sparkle, and the bass is so unrefined that it's hard to distinguish the notes from the mud. Heck, I was watching "Resovoir Dogs" the other night, and I had to turn the subtitles on, I couldn't tell what the characters and their low voices were saying.
ph34r.gif

WOW. must be allergic to bass.... hihi... i am just gettin a chuckle. I feel exactly opposite. Also I am beginning to feel this entire message board is afraid of bass like kids are afraid of the dark. My two cents.

As for the Phones themselves: The toytaniums are fun. The venerable and much more nicely designed PortaPro and identical drivers of the KSC35 which demolish the '75 by a WHERE's THE BEEF margin, however are a much more satisfying sound, is worth the difference in price scale, since you are actually getting MORE SOUND output from them, and they scarecely even need an amp. Gosh they are a great set of phones: the PortaPro and KSC35.

Well complemented for that "I have a headache" mood or a "lighter" mood by the very well sounding, yet much less meaty KSC75.

Thanks for the thread guys.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 19
Thanks! I'll buy one. btw, why did this review said that it has a terrible sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back