So I listened to the QC3 today
Oct 27, 2006 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

winged creature

100+ Head-Fier
A buddy of mine recently bought the Bose QC3 (I told him so many times not to buy them, but he didnt listen) and he let me try them out for a couple of hours. So i figured i'd throw in a few impression. My source was either a Dell DJ gen1 and Ipod G5.5 with mp3's ripped at 320kbps. The first thing i noticed about the QC3 that it was incredibly comfortable, it was like it wasnt even on my head at all. The noise cancelling on the unit was actually quite good, it made a noisy library sound dead quiet and got rid of the majority of sounds on the bus. If anything the noise cancellation is top notch. As for the sound, its what we all expected, mediocre. The bass was very boomy and bloated. I found it extended decently low, but nothing more then the PX 100. The thing i noticed immediately was its lack of clarity. Coming from primarily using the HD 280pro, MS-1 and KSC-75 i found that the QC3 sounded very cloudy and the highs were noticeably rolled off. I guess this expected from Bose, mediocore sound, and premium price. Overall if anything impressed me it was the comfort and the noise cancelling, but those hardly justify the price (which i dont want to know:p).

P.S. i hope there arent any grammer or spelling errrors, i didnt have time to look it over.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

The bass was very boomy and bloated

Maybe those QC3 weren't fully burned in. When I first got my bose IE the bass was so boomy and overpowering it made my ears ache, but after 100+ hours of burn in the bass settled down and the sound opened up dramatically (my other iem's had no burn-in effect). Now I'm growing new appreciation for bose bass. I'm hearing bass notes at such low volumes it would put other headphones to shame.

Also, I think 'cloudy' is what bose is aiming for.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 9
That sucks that you warned your friend and couldn't talk him out of it. Hell, KSC75 sounds significantly better, for $6.99 + shipping. :/ If he wanted isolation, he should've gone for the K81DJ, or the HD25-1.

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 9
I tried them at BB.. & the Q3 gets a 10 for comfort..They put my ears in a relaxed state like no other can I tried..But the build quality is no better then a 20-30 pair of headphones, which is absurd considering the cost..

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Why did he get them? For many people, headphone purchases focus more on comfort and isolation than sound quality, and for those purposes it is hard to beat Bose if you can't stand the feeling of IEMs. Things like the Triports are just useless overpriced crap, but the QC series serves a purpose, even if it's one that doesn't really apply to most people here.

Oct 27, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 9
ksc75 is great for the price, exactly oppose to bose. i do think they look, LOOK, not touch, just look pretty decent. i heard them last week. the isolation was great. they sound like a little muddy ep630. same bass though. if i win a lottery, i'll sure i'll get one of those.

p.s.: i don't buy lottery at all.

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Bose certainly is the most overated name brand. I've never been impressed with any Bose product. Lots of money for muddy sound. My dad still has his 901s, which usually serve as plant stands for my mom. Surround systems sound so much more dynamic then the 901s tried to replicate (but couldn't because there was no woofers or tweeters...just same sized drivers all throughout the cabinet). Notice Bose still sells the 901s at the same price they were going for 20 years ago. Guess they figure if they don't innovate, throw enough infomercials on TV, enough people will notice a product and latch onto it. Now it's the Q series. Reviews I've read say that Sennheiser PXC series is half the price and offer as good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back