So i just change my DT880 earpads...
Apr 11, 2015 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Valhallatier

Head-Fier
my DT880 earpads are mushy and reak of sweat, so i change it to a brand new one...
WHAT HAPPEN TO THE SOUND? its so boomy! like its the boomiest thing ive ever heard. its dark too! im using the Fiio E11k btw
its completely backwards to what i hear before i change it.

is this how it was suppose to sound??

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Are the new pads identical to the old ones?
The pads from over 10 years ago are different to the new ones (which are notoriously boomy if used on the wrong headphone - these pads sound boomy and horrible on my vintage DT990 for exmaple)

Also AFAIK there are different types of earpads available.

Actually even if the pads are identical, it's also possible you didn't notice the gradual change of the sound as they became mushy and sweaty over the years. 

Just some ideas, I can't give any information for certain.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 11
  Are the new pads identical to the old ones?
The pads from over 10 years ago are different to the new ones (which are notoriously boomy if used on the wrong headphone - these pads sound boomy and horrible on my vintage DT990 for exmaple)

Also AFAIK there are different types of earpads available.

Actually even if the pads are identical, it's also possible you didn't notice the gradual change of the sound as they became mushy and sweaty over the years. 

Just some ideas, I can't give any information for certain.

the sound does change, but i dont remember hearing my DT 880 being boomy.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 11
I think I read somewhere that these particular earpads are best for the DT770.
The last time I tested a DT880 a couple of months ago, it wasn't boomy at all so I suspect you've got the wrong pads for the DT880. 

The most annoying thing about Beyers is how unclear they are on the website about all their ear pads and which one you need for which headphone. 
Or you see some pads online listed as being compatible with DT770,880, 990 etc which is true for size/fit but not sound -_- 

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 11

The sound does change, but i don't remember hearing my DT880 being boomy.

Which ear pads did you get, the EDT770 or EDT990 or generic ones from China (off eBay)?

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Cool... a darker pad modded DT880 sounds like a version I might like to try out.  I have always found the 880 treble too much for my tastes.

Where did you get the pads?

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 11
  soooo its the EDT770 pads ....
is that why the sound change so much ?

The DT880s usually come with the EDT990 Velour ear pads.
So if you used the EDT770 ear pads, that might explain the audio change.

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 11
How do you know you're getting the correct one for the DT880 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back