So I just bought some sony MDR-v600's
Apr 7, 2005 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

WRX>MUSTANG

New Head-Fier
I was originally looking at grado s60's but they werent closed, and i knew id piss people off so i searched amazon.com and these were one of the most popular, marked down greatly, and had good reviews.

Now that I read this forum supposedly they are horrible. Im leaving for hawaii soon so I guess Ill try them then, and if i dont like them Ill send them back, I mostly listen to underground hiphop, and i dont want canal headphones, can you guys suggest a replacement if I dont like them?

Apr 7, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by WRX>MUSTANG
I was originally looking at grado s60's but they werent closed, and i knew id piss people off so i searched amazon.com and these were one of the most popular, marked down greatly, and had good reviews.

Now that I read this forum supposedly they are horrible. Im leaving for hawaii soon so I guess Ill try them then, and if i dont like them Ill send them back, I mostly listen to underground hiphop, and i dont want canal headphones, can you guys suggest a replacement if I dont like them?

Don't trust amazon.com for reviews. Most of the positive reviews of the MDR-V600's came from people who have had little to no experience with headphones priced even remotely as high as what those Sonys currently sell for. Sure, they do sound better than freebie stock Walkman headphones - but that's all that I'll give the MDR-V600's credit for.

In fact, I gave one of the few negative reviews of the MDR-V600's on amazon.com.

My local Best Buy superstore no longer carries the MDR-V600's. They have recently been discontinued by Sony (but are still available for sale at full price at SonyStyle.com). Instead, at the $99.99 price point Best Buy replaced them with the MDR-XD400's, which I've read a few (positive) reviews here at Head-Fi.

Apr 7, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
Sony V6/7506 and the Sennheiser 280's would have been better choices, in my opinion. but hey, see if you like them before you start second guessing yourself.

Indeed - There's no substitute for your own opinion...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 17
Ouch! MDR-V600's are definitely a no-no. Muddy mids, bloated bass, and veiled highs. Now, they do have a very kicking midbass response, so for hip-hop, it might not be all bad... but for the price, you can do much better.

Try the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 instead. Should have a bit less bass in quantity than the V600 but much better in quality. In everything else, they'll be miles ahead - clarity, detail, resolution, soundstage, everything. They also have pretty good power handling, and you can rack up the EQ on whatever you want without clipping, if your source and amplification can handle it. With some bass boost, they'll become real bass monsters, and should be very good for hip-hop.

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Ouch! MDR-V600's are definitely a no-no. Muddy mids, bloated bass, and veiled highs. Now, they do have a very kicking midbass response, so for hip-hop, it might not be all bad... but for the price, you can do much better.

Try the Audio-Technica ATH-A500 instead. Should have a bit less bass in quantity than the V600 but much better in quality. In everything else, they'll be miles ahead - clarity, detail, resolution, soundstage, everything. They also have pretty good power handling, and you can rack up the EQ on whatever you want without clipping, if your source and amplification can handle it. With some bass boost, they'll become real bass monsters, and should be very good for hip-hop.

Im probably just going to use them with my ipod...

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 17
Give them a try... we all hear things differently, maybe they will sound good to you.

Garrett

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 17
Ignorance is bliss, take your new cans enjoy them, and stay away from these forums before you have to buy 280's or v6's.

PS. WXR, i love your name.
icon10.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Ignorance is bliss, take your new cans enjoy them, and stay away from these forums before you have to buy 280's or v6's.

PS. WXR, i love your name.
icon10.gif

Thanks
cool.gif

Uh so I wont be using an amp, ill just be using my ipod, does that make a difference...ive heard the ipod doesnt have the best quality, but i cant tell.

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 17
So do you have a WRX or a Mustang? Or both?

Apr 7, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 17
anyways, so like, if im just going to be using an ipod, does that make any difference? Perhaps some headphones have diminishing return until you get better equipment, like an amp and ****, right?

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by WRX>MUSTANG
anyways, so like, if im just going to be using an ipod, does that make any difference? Perhaps some headphones have diminishing return until you get better equipment, like an amp and ****, right?

Right... generally speaking. cans around $100 most often dont need amplification (or at least dont benefeit a "great deal" from amping)... SR80, MDRV6/V600, SR60, K240s, DT250-80, ATH-A500. But thats assuming your portable has a decent headphone circuit, which the ipod certainly does from what I understand.

You get into the 150-200 $ range and your returns diminish without amplification. Examples: DT770-80, HD580, DT150, DT990, SR125.

Over $200 IMHO is a waste without an amp. (generally speaking of course)

The exceptions:
A900, which is $200 but doesnt benefeit a great deal from an amp.
KSC75, Well under $100. while it doesnt need an amp, its tonal character changes noticeably with an amp and impedence adapter.

I stand by my original statement though... Give the V600 a try and follow your ears.

Garrett

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 17
trust your ears. the v600 really isn't that awful, especially with electronica. if they sound good to you, keep 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back