So I have my Sennheisers for the classical and mellow, time for a rock set.
Nov 21, 2005 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Citizen Z

100+ Head-Fier
People who say the Sennheisers don't do rock especially well are right. Its just not... right. I think it’s a little bit to do with the source but the Sennheisers 595's I have don't seem to play ANYTHING with ANY grunge or distortion for CRAP. I listen to a lot of 80's heavy metal, 70's rock, a little funk and disco, quite a bit of techno, a lot of industrial and death, and not much but some Cookie Monster metal. [I also have an extensive classical, jazz, ragtime, folk, and blues collection but that’s not what I'm focusing on this post.] I've been dorking with the eq and EAX but still can't get rock to sound as good as even my PX 100's. After reading the excellent Interview with John Grado article, I think I have a set of Grado Labs headphones in my future. Now which ones?

I'm no audio noob, but I'm new to the world of headphones. I've been heavily involved with home audio (Klipsch) and car audio (JL Audio) and neither of them are cheap, so I might as well go commensurately off the deep end with my headphones. Nonetheless, I want to progress up the ladder and arrive at an awesome set, not just go for the biggest/baddest the first time around and have no reference for appreciation.

Btw, Yellow by Coldplay is indeed an awesome song for headphones.

So should I start out with some SD-225's and how about the old new or used debate? I've enjoyed listening to my 595's change as they've broken in but it isn't all peachy keen. Listening to hours of music knowing it will get better is kind of frustrating.
600smile.gif

On the other hand I could just go with something slightly more badass than both the 225's and the 595's like the RS-1 or something. The main thing I want to do is get a pair of cans that will contrast my Sennheisers and play the other half of my 42gigs of music. I'm not looking for replacements; I'm looking for another set. All these phones will be Computer -> SB Audigy 2 NX -> Portaphile V2^2 Maxed ->headphone. Whaddya guys think?

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 33
The consensus on this site seems to be that the Grado's are the perfect rock compliment to your Classical Senns.

Also other than the hype of the limited HF-1 headphone the 225's seemed to be the most all-around popular set (price-vs-performance) considered.

I have had both Senns and Grados and I would say pick up a set of the 225's (probably ~120-140 used) and use them a while.

Maybe you will like having two sets just fine, maybe you wont like them (you can always resell), or maybe you will fall in love with Grado's sound and you can liquidate and go for the RS-1's later on.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp
The consensus on this site seems to be that the Grado's are the perfect rock compliment to your Classical Senns.

Also other than the hype of the limited HF-1 headphone the 225's seemed to be the most all-around popular set (price-vs-performance) considered.

I have had both Senns and Grados and I would say pick up a set of the 225's (probably ~120-140 used) and use them a while.

Maybe you will like having two sets just fine, maybe you wont like them (you can always resell), or maybe you will fall in love with Grado's sound and you can liquidate and go for the RS-1's later on.

The HF-1's are intriquing because they use a new driver, different from the 225's and many say, better than the 325's.. I'd love to demo them at some point after I get a handle on the "grado sound."

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 33
I've been through a lot of gear in the short time I've been here and if I can give you any advice it's buy from somewhere with a return grace period. If your budget can afford to buy new vs. used get new so if you don't like them you can return.

With that out of the way the SR-225 is probably a good start point for you but be sure to test them with the bowls and flats if you can as the sound changes lots depending on what you use. Grado is a nice compliment to Senn because they are so different.

BTW - good taste on the home and car stuff I have Klipsch at home and used to have JL in my truck
icon10.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I've been through a lot of gear in the short time I've been here and if I can give you any advice it's buy from somewhere with a return grace period. If your budget can afford to buy new vs. used get new so if you don't like them you can return.

With that out of the way the SR-225 is probably a good start point for you but be sure to test them with the bowls and flats if you can as the sound changes lots depending on what you use. Grado is a nice compliment to Senn because they are so different.

BTW - good taste on the home and car stuff I have Klipsch at home and used to have JL in my truck
icon10.gif

The only better home stuff is Onkyo (IMHO) and the only better car stuff is... well, there isn't any better car audio gear than JL. Not much more expensive either.
tongue.gif
blink.gif

Good point about the return window. This level of headphones are so good and have such a low depriciation rate that even if I lose 15% and shipping, I'll be happy.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 33
I would suggest that you consider the Beyer dt990's. They beat the 225's and below in just about everyway, and offer the upper end Grados some serious competition. They are great "all-around" performer, and rock really hard.

- augustwest

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I would suggest that you consider the Beyer dt990's. They beat the 225's and below in just about everyway, and offer the upper end Grados some serious competition. They are great "all-around" performer, and rock really hard.

- augustwest

I'll have to read up on them but I'm more drawn to the 880's though reviews put them more towards 600/650's which isn't necessarily where I want to go. I want something that will be a counterpoint to my 595's, not in addition to them.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen Z
I'll have to read up on them but I'm more drawn to the 880's.

You'll find the 880's have more in common with the Senns than some of the other brands/models already mentioned.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 33
Can you return headphones? I remeber the guy at GuitarCenter in NY telling me there was some new law about returns on mics and headphones a year ago. Perhaps it was just mics and not headphones and the guy was smoking?

Ever since I always though headphones were one of those things stores arent allowed to take back once you opened them for health reasons (lice or whatever).

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
You'll find the 880's have more in common with the Senns than some of the other brands/models already mentioned.

Yea. I edited my post to acknowledge this after I read a few reviews. Thanks though.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp
Can you return headphones? I remeber the guy at GuitarCenter in NY telling me there was some new law about returns on mics and headphones a year ago. Perhaps it was just mics and not headphones and the guy was smoking?

Ever since I always though headphones were one of those things stores arent allowed to take back once you opened them for health reasons (lice or whatever).

that guy was on crack - of course you can return it, it's the store's problem what they do with it. look at our sponsors - they have return policies that cover opened headphones, some up to 30 days! That's alot of head lice!

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 33
If you aren't happy with the 595's presentation for modern rock music you will eventually get bored with them I think. So don't bother with the sr-225, and return the hd595 to get an rs-1. They are so much better than the 325 with the bowls reversed. Smoother, bassier, warmer, darker they're just the best rock cans around for headphone listening. I'm a big fan of the hd595 over other similarly priced AKG, Beyerdynamic and Grado headphones, but even I'll admit they lack the punch and sparkle for some rock music that you get with a high end grado.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 33
The Sony SAx000 headphones preserve the edge and bite of guitars that really is the energy of rock music without sacrificing the "audiophile" aspects of performance like bass/treble extension and fine detail, not to mention relative frequency response linearity compared to Grados, while aslo being far more comfortable and better built (Grados less than the SR325 really are built like toys).

Most Beyers I've ever heard also fufill the above qualifictions, though they can be more demanding of amplification and slightly less comfortable than the Sonys.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 33
Of course Grados rule the rock realm IMHO.

Can I suggest a more mellow / less harsh alternative.... K240s. Thoroughly enjoying mine. Recabled to tighten up the bass and mids, socket modded the cloth grille cover to brighten up the mids an treble.

Superb sounding can IMHO. I bounce back and forth from my MS2/HF1 and the AKG and I dont feel like I'm missing much at all with the AKG. It certainly is more spatious and roomy sounding than either of my Grados and is way more comfey. Yet still more aggressive than an HD580/600/650.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back