so I have been introduced to grado sr60s... what now?
Sep 7, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

rei_yano

100+ Head-Fier
I have purchased the sr60s and have been very happy with them. I now desire to make the next step and purchase some nice full sized headphones and a decent portable amp to drive them. I have about 280 bucks to work with. how shall I proceed?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok. i seek high quality sound. simple enough. why do you have to be such a smart ass?

Well when I usually ask for advice, I try to provide as much information as I can so people can GIVE me the advice that I'm looking for. Plus I was only joking, but I guess you'd like to take it in a negative way. That's fine with me. Some people take things a bit too seriously for me I guess. I'll try to shape up.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 50
Since you're happy with th eGrado sound,... stick with that, and scale up that ladder.

What sony PCDP is it? many vintage sony players have plenty-good headphone outputs, that are more than adequate power for Grados. IMHO the "mega-bass" feature on the mid-late 90s discman players is a very good sounding bass-EQ. if that discman has a toslink output, that opens up more options for you... if you have a home receiver with an optical-input that can serve as an outboard DAC.

Sell the SR60 for $55, take lots of pics and include any/all packaging. Toss in the 1/4 adapter if you still have it.

That will leave you with ~$330 total. That will easily get you a used MS2+cmoy. You might be able to find a deal on a govibe6, instead of the cmoy. IMHO that will blow away an unamped SR60, and is a worth while investment.

$330 will easily get you an HF1 if you wait around long enough for one on the F/S boards. You might even find a used RS2 for that price.

Vintage Marantz receivers are known to have exceptional headphone amps when paired with Grados. Its not uncommon to find them under $100. IMHO thats worth a look too.

I'd try and find a used RS2, and just plut it into your discman and rock out. Either that or an MS2 + amp and use the line out on your discman to source it.

Good Luck, you have a lot of opportunity with that kind of $$$ to improve on an unamped SR60.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well when I usually ask for advice, I try to provide as much information as I can so people can GIVE me the advice that I'm looking for. Plus I was only joking, but I guess you'd like to take it in a negative way. That's fine with me. Some people take things a bit too seriously for me I guess. I'll try to shape up.

QFT. provide more info. all you said was you use a sony cd player and are looking for better sound. no music taste, etc.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT. provide more info. all you said was you use a sony cd player and are looking for better sound. no music taste, etc.

newer cd player its a d-ne20. not like the old pcdps sony made. I mostly use the ipod. I listen to a lot of stuff. dance music, electronic, rock, indie pop, jazz, old school post punk, hardcore, country, classical, noise, list goes on. I could probably list you about a hundred artists from my cd collection. I am lacking in jazz and classical though however. anyways I might be able to gather up to 350 if I sell the sr60s. maybe even 400 bucks if I sell some other misc stuff. I would really like some headphones that will blow my mind here.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 50
make sure your files are high quality

save up for a source upgrade
if you want to keep the ipod, get an imod or at least a line out dock
then feed that into a nice amp

and finish it off with the rs1

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
newer cd player its a d-ne20. not like the old pcdps sony made. I mostly use the ipod. I listen to a lot of stuff. dance music, electronic, rock, indie pop, jazz, old school post punk, hardcore, country, classical, noise, list goes on. I could probably list you about a hundred artists from my cd collection. I am lacking in jazz and classical though however. anyways I might be able to gather up to 350 if I sell the sr60s. maybe even 400 bucks if I sell some other misc stuff. I would really like some headphones that will blow my mind here.

I found the d-ne20 line out very musical, warm and plenty adequate for my personal tastes. IMHO it is sufficient enough to expose the differences in all the Grado cans. I spent some time with another head-fier comparing it with my D335 amping the line outs with an RSA tomahawk, Xin reference and supermicro IV. We both noticed the d-ne20 was warmer and not as analytical as the D335, but the D335 was more accurate. So... it boils down to personal preference. IMHO the d-ne20 would make a good source for a trans-portable setup. FWIW, it also has an optical output that you can feed an outboard DAC, using the d-ne20 as an optical transport.

My suggestion would be an MS2+amp, using the d-ne20 line out as source.

I didn't listen to the d-ne20 headphone out, so I dont know how well an RS2 would do unamped.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 50
Grado SR-60s are like a gateway drug...I had no idea headphones could sound so good. Next thought a few months later was, "hmm...wonder if I can get some that sound even better. Oh, high impedence, I'll need an amp too..."

Next thing you know you're sleeping in a doorway and begging for spare change to feed your jones, holding a cardboard sign reading "will work for Stax SRM-007T II."

Go back to your Apple earbuds while you still have a chance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back