So I got the Sennheiser 280's...
Jun 22, 2002 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
All right guys, are you having a laugh?

I've seen so many positive reviews of the 280's pushed at me so I thought, hey, I can't lose. I couldn't go to the audio shop yesterday, so I just asked them to send me the 280's (I've also ordered the Audio-Technica ATH-A9X but that's another story). The guys at the shop were kind enough to drop it off.

I burned them in overnight and I've been listening to them today. Then I frowned mightily and dug out my other phones to test my opinion of the HD280. I was proved right. See last section for my opinion.

We are of course primarily comparing the V700's against the HD280. Comparing the Grado SR60 directly would not be a good test since these are open phones. However I've included it.

--------------------

SOUND

The HD280 is, if I had to anthropomorphise it, like listening to Al Gore instead of Bill Clinton. Sure, Clinton might tell you stuff which, to be absolutely honest, is not true, but unlike Gore, he's entertaining - you can actually sit through one of his speeches. On the other hand, you know that Gore is probably on the level with you and is more incisive than Clinton, but you can't be bothered to listen to find out.

When I got the V700's, even without burning in, these phones immediately made an impact on me for their extremely engaging, if somewhat inaccurate in absolute terms, presentation. I am talking about the bass *to a certain extent* (but not as the be-all), but I don't use the 'megacrappobass' buttons on my portables if avoidable, and I like the extra dimension of bass that the V700's provide without any artificial assistance - handy especially if I'm sitting in a train. In comparison, the 280's made as much impact on me as an Airsoft pellet does to Chobham armor, and having a listen outside did it no favors whatsoever.

In terms of accuracy, yes the HD280's are accurate - extremely so. However the Grado SR60 pushes through the same audio information while being far more involving and the V700 is far more entertaining while losing an acceptable amount in terms of rendering accuracy - certainly for listening to on the move.

Admittedly, some material sounds fine/similar on the phones. Weak manufactured pop, and what I might best term as 'whiny limp-wristed mainly British guitar crap' sounds OK on the 280s in comparison to the other phones. Classical music also sounds OK in comparison to the Grados but once again, there is a distinct lack of 'presence' to the sound.

COMFORT + GENERAL BUILD

Grado SR60 - Despite extremely rudimentary looks and construction, they are comfortable for extended listening - the only demerit being the foam supraaural pads. A change to the semi-circumaural pads provides increased comfort and less skin irritation, as well as an improvement in the high-end (some say - I don't think the change is worth $15). Everything can be (reasonably) safely adjusted, or if needs be, bent to fit you. Build quality from a care of construction point of view is excellent, but the way it is designed does not suggest durability.

Sony V700DJ - Fairly heavy, but comfortable and easy to adjust due to the flexible top band and the graded ratchet extension points on each side. The semi-circumaural feeling I got due to my ears being pinned back by part of the ear pad was not brilliant, but it did not intrude too much on general comfort. Plastic is never going to be indestructible, but the standard of finish is excellent and the phone is built solidly. Noise isolation is good, but it is still perfectly possible to hear a certain amount of outside noise.

Sennheiser HD280 - Considerably lighter than the V700's but extremely uncomfortable, with an inflexible top band which applies pressure to the top of the head. I also was appalled to discover 'open molds' on the cup retainers, and edges on the top band 'comfort pad' that would fray very easily. It is possible to engineer lightness without looking cheap, but the 280 - while undoubtedly properly screwed together - looks very cheap, close-up. Someone here mentioned that the V700's were worth $50 in reality. If that is the case, the HD280's are worth considerably less than even that, due to the inadequacies in the construction finish. One thing is decidedly superior about the HD280's - the noise isolation. It is superb, due to perfect coverage of the ears (so much so it's possible to create a vacuum!)

Something mechanical that Sony missed that the Sennheiser unit manages well is the folding mechanism. On the Sony the folding action causes one of the cup retainers to rest on the start of the cable housing - potential for eventual damage to the cable housing. On the HD280's the folding action works without any component impacting on any other critical parts of the phone.

LOOKS

Grado SR60: So unbelievably retro that they can make a statement for the stylishly contemporary-dressed.

V700DJ: In-your-face high-tech cool looks. Impossible to ignore.

HD280: Stealth black works well in many situations - but while it does not overtly attract attention, it merely looks like a domestic-use phone - and the flat long profile of the top band makes the arms stick out on either side. Result? Dork city.

----------------------------

Conclusion: The HD280 blows when viewed as a 'general listening' phone for outside use, except for the noise isolation. The comparison between this and the V700? No contest. The V700 wins on multiple points.

Now, you guys are going to say, well of course this test is invalid, it was done on a low-powered PCDP, wasn't it? Actually, it was done from a Naim CD5 --> NAIT 5 amp --> (newly acquired) Headline amp using OCC interconnects throughout. And how did I simulate outside listening? Simple - I opened the windows and stuck my head outside where the gardener was using his leaf blower
biggrin.gif
And yes, I tried the phones on a Sony D-CJ01 as well. Same results in minature, basically - only the thinness of the 280 was even more apparent with the limited power.

And in other important features of a portable phone - such as the visuals - they also fail miserably. Weight and noise isolation are however excellent. Pity however that the lack of comfort negates the featherweight advantage.

If you master using the HD280 and attempt to put together an engaging recording, not only is the mastering made easier by the precise rendition of the 280s, it is going to blow your mind when you listen to the finished mix on something like the Grados. On the other hand, on something that's already been recorded, the HD280 just sounds over-precise, thin, and lacks any kind of character to keep your interest in the music you're listening to.

What actually surprised me in this test was the performance of the V700's. Precisely because I knew they were for DJ monitoring, I hadn't listened to the stuff I listened to today on them - I'd only used them for the primarily nu-metal and dance/techno tracks that I listen to on the move. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised most of the time by the V700's with other music types.

So my question is, if you recommended me the 280s and you actually have a pair, what the heck do you listen to? Mandy Moore? The Strokes? Because that's the sort of stuff that would sound OK on a 280. OK, I'll give you Telemann and Bach as well.

I really wish I hadn't thrown away the box for the phone. However it's only $100 after all, so I'm not going to bother to return it. What I might do, if the top band can be eventually persuaded to bend, is to use it as ear defenders in my server room at home - the noise isolation really is quite impressive.

Jun 22, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 29
wow, great review! i have some questions thogh

1) Will by live drive have enough juice to drive the 280s?

2) i have a really big head and really big ear flappers....this might be a nightmare for comfort eh?

thanks for taking this time to write the review and enlightening me
smily_headphones1.gif

-phasefour

Jun 22, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by phasefour
wow, great review! i have some questions thogh

1) Will by live drive have enough juice to drive the 280s?

2) i have a really big head and really big ear flappers....this might be a nightmare for comfort eh?

thanks for taking this time to write the review and enlightening me
smily_headphones1.gif

-phasefour

1. Yes.

2. Oh yes. If you're a pinhead, you'll suffer further.

Jun 22, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 29
it's nice to see there's someone else who feels the same way i do about the 280 vs v700.

with all of the praise that the senns were getting, i was really looking forward to them. plus the fact that people were labeling them a suitable dj phone made it all that much more exciting.

so i got them.

disappointing out of the box, both in sound and comfort. they kind of reminded me of those cheap, thin-sounding $30 headphones that you can find at wal-mart etc that are made to look 'hi-fi', only much less comfortable. after 50+ hrs of burn-in, they did sound better, but the difference wasnt that great. i tried being optimistic, hoping that i'd get used to the fit and sound, but that didnt happen. i'll admit that some music sounded nice out of them, but not enough music (that i listen to, at least) to justify keeping them.

"over-precise, thin, and lacks any kind of character to keep your interest in the music you're listening to."

for the most part, right-o.

now, as a recording/mastering headphone, the 280 fits. accurate and extremely isolating. but for straight up listening purposes, which seems like what most of the people here are using headphones for, they seem out of place. a lot of music sounds like crap coming out of them. pretty much anything with power is rendered *****, and theyre so uncomfortable to me that i cant even keep them on for that long.

the v700 are far from a perfect pair. but even with their inaccuracy, theyre still fun to listen to. they give music life, as opposed to the 280's way of turning a lot of tunes into sterile laboratory examinations. the v700 do seem solid, but they eventually break. i've had mine for a year and a half of hard use. one of the swiveling joints cracked, and the wire that fed the sound to the right phone got damaged, which resulted in having to play with the cord a lot to keep the sound from cutting out. still, if it came down to it, i'd take them over the 280 anyday. blasphemous, i know. hail satan.

i think both of them are overpriced, but what isnt these days? it's not just evil sony trying to milk us for all we've got. sennheiser's got their niche and theyre making money.

280 and v700. both completely different headphones that will appeal to different people for different purposes. but with all of the 280 praise and v700 bashing, i figured i'd throw in my $100.

luckily, i found a two-month-old pair of beyer 250-80's on ebay for about a $100. i just got them yesterday, and damn... theyre friggin great. they sit at a nice spot between the analytical 280 and the banging/booming/rocking v700. plus the comfort is beyond either. now all i gotta do is send the senns back to headroom and my headphone troubles are settled.

phasefour: nightmare for comfort, indeed.

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 29
I think the 280s need more burn-in time then you've given them. Also, I have personally found that they require a lot of power (I think more than most people have thought). I think they sound very thin out of my pdcp. The same goes for the headphone-out on my H/K CD player. They sound good with the airhead and my home theater receiver's headphone output.

Jun 22, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I think the 280s need more burn-in time then you've given them. Also, I have personally found that they require a lot of power (I think more than most people have thought). I think they sound very thin out of my pdcp. The same goes for the headphone-out on my H/K CD player. They sound good with the airhead and my home theater receiver's headphone output.

In my experience, extended burn-in time merely confirms the character that's audible after an initial burn-in.

And I anticipated a reply excusing the performance 'because it was connected to a pcdp' - I will draw your attention to my audition rig - the Headline is driven from a (fscking expensive) power supply.

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 29
I used to have a pair of the Sony V700DJ's, but returned them to Best Buy. Seriously, I didn't care much for those V700DJ's (and still don't) - there is bass all right, but that bass only goes loud and not at all deep. Like, for example, a 100 Hz tone is maybe 10 times louder than a 50 Hz tone (as reproduced by those Sonys). And those phones practically can't reproduce any bass below 40 Hz, which most other 'phones - and some of those priced three times less than those Sonys - can reproduce with relative ease.

Maybe I bought and returned a dud pair of the V700DJ's, which didn't sound much like the pair that I demoed at both Sam Ash and Guitar Center.

Jun 23, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 29
The HD280s seem to be real 'love them, or hate them' 'phones
confused.gif

If you really don't like them, i'd suggest auditioning a pair of Beyer DT250 and / or DT770 Pros... more cash, but also maybe more your kind of thing sonically?

Thanks for the comparitive review
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 29
well you know why the 700's sound good to these ppl....they listen to crap music....lol....
tongue.gif

just reminded me of a commercial on tv:

"we salute all the great Dads out there for coming out with awesome frases like 'I dont call it rap music, i call it CRAP MUSIC'".....lol...
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 29
And heck, even my Sony MDR-ED268LP Groove earbuds have better, deeper bass than those Sony DJ crappophones...
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
The HD280s seem to be real 'love them, or hate them' 'phones
confused.gif

If you really don't like them, i'd suggest auditioning a pair of Beyer DT250 and / or DT770 Pros... more cash, but also maybe more your kind of thing sonically?

Thanks for the comparitive review
biggrin.gif

Yes - I did ask, but the shop I usually buy from doesn't carry Beyerdynamic - and the DT250's look truly awful. Remember - these phones are for outside use... But yes, it looks like sonically they're what I'm looking for, bearing in mind what pitstain said as well. I'll wait for the A-T's to arrive I think before expanding my phone collection further...

And Jlo, my 'crappy' music listening is done on the move - which was what many of you recommended the 280's for!!! However, I even gave the HD280's a fair chance on a (I'm assured) superb platform for even 'hard-to-drive' headphones - it certainly works a treat with my SR225. I used the following cursory comparison material, short excerpts from each:

Spooky
Eva Cassidy
Talvin Singh
Rage Against The Machine
Fritz Kreisler (played by Maxim Vengerov)
Beverley Knight
Leftfield
B.B. King
Naughty By Nature

I was still completely underwhelmed. Go figure.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 29
"DT250's look truly awful."

If you think the senns look better, maybe your idea of looks is quite different then mine hehe. I think the beyers are pretty nice looking and I think they sound similar to the senns but with more bass and a bit less emphasis on highs... and I think the senns are pug ugly. :p

Biggie.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
"DT250's look truly awful."

If you think the senns look better, maybe your idea of looks is quite different then mine hehe. I think the beyers are pretty nice looking and I think they sound similar to the senns but with more bass and a bit less emphasis on highs... and I think the senns are pug ugly. :p

Biggie.

It's quite possible I guess. The pic I saw of the DT250 was quite small. The HD280's were VERY flatteringly photographed on the pic I saw, now that I've seen the actual item...

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #14 of 29
i second whoever said the hd 280s might need more burn-in time. i had them for awhile, and i found the sound "lacking." and for awhile i preferred my ksc-35's. but since i paid $80 for them, i figured i minuswell keep listening to them, not expecting the sound to change or anything. i can't really describe what happened, but one day i listened to them and everything just seemed to open up. i find the sound very satisfying now. but it DOES take a lot of hours to break in sufficiently, so be patient.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #15 of 29
I hate to say this but every now and then I listen to my sony mdr-v900 and enjoy them very much mostly in the winter time. I know we ant suposed to like these cans but I got tired of trying all the great recomendtions that sound like **** and cost lots of money only to be disapointed. If you like a can for get what others say about it. And stop spending the adict money on stuff that people say are so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back