So I got my new camera. Heres a few pics.
Jan 16, 2005 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
My new Fz20 came on thursday and I've been messing with it for the past 2 days. I'm still not completely familiar with the camera but here are a few pictures. Let me know what you guys think.

Gallery

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 33
well, you've got a whole range from good composition to not so great composition, and most look under-exposed. But they're good as snapshots. And as you're just learning to play with it, you'll get more familiar with time.

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 33
As The_Mac said, most are a bit under-exposed, but some are pretty good (much better than my shots! hehe!)

Its very hard to determine what aperture and ISO to use sometimes. (especially for me b/c I only have a film SLR I cant view the pics as I take them) Just keep experimenting, or use program mode if you want to get a good shot without bothering sometimes hehe.

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 33
The FZ20 has a great histogram feature which you can use to help with exposure. It may help you to also bracket your exposures which the FZ20 can do.

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 33
I really like the spot lighting effect in the audio-technica shot. With a couple of tweaks, that shot could work as the background for an ad or editorial magazine double page spread. What was lighting that shot?

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 33
Your Shadybrook / Fernbank Drives picture is a prime illustration how you have to get into the habit of looking at what is behind your prime subject before you focus on the foreground.

When you look through the viewfinder pay attention to the background - walk around if you have to before concentrating on the main subject.

Maybe you should change the music you're listening to while composing as the music may be too busy and is not allowing you to pay particular attention to composition.

That manhole cover throws it all out of whack. The only time it would be acceptable is if there were a counter-balancing subject, like a blue bird perching on the signpost which will pull your attention away from the manhole cover. It would have to depict some sort of action - like it just landing; a static shot would not afford you an excuse.

I actually like the last shot - you could crop at the right fence / house in the background, and the truck bumper on the left and it will evoke a better sense of composition. Put two pieces of paper, one on each side, and push them towards each other so that more and more of the left and right sides are cropped off.

Want to know what makes that shot (besides the flow of the hills and the mirroring flow of the house tops)? It's that red "thingy" in the foreground in contrast to and with the orange fence. Now imagine a little girl looking out of that big empty window in the background... or a boy tossing a frisbee to his dog on the lawn... a kid on a bicycle going downhill... a person hiking down the hill (he can't be hiking up the hill)...

I guess you can photshop in a Rainbow, a daylight full moon or a sky full of stars.

But as it is, the only thing living is the hills. It does evoke peace and silence, though, so in that sense the picture is a success. Now if only the hills were full of sheep or cows... I guess you can photoshop in some laying cows.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 33
I gotta agree with the comment made on the AT phone. That looks like a publicity shot. Very cool.

What were you trying to capture in the first picture?

I didn't notice the manhole cover until wallijonn mentioned.
tongue.gif

The pistol and novel are interesting. But for some reason it just doesn't do much. That one looks like a picture I would take. It seems like a great idea, but when I see the photo it just doesn't capture the idea I wanted it to.

The fountain. Either get all of the bottom or crop off the bottom entirely.

I like the soft early morning light of your neighborhood shots. So peaceful.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 33
thanks for all the comments, I will have to keep working on it. I thought I did an ok job for never having any photography experience at all. But I do hope to get a lot better.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 33
nah. I have a tripod. But all the pictures I have in my gallery are takin during bright daylight and the shutter speeds are always at 1/100th or faster. If I were to take some pics during sunset or after sunset I'd use my tripod. But correct me if i'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back