So I got a Grado SR80...
Mar 6, 2004 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

marvie

New Head-Fier
.. but I wasn't blown away by the sound as expected
frown.gif
And all I got for wearing it are two sore ears.

I think I'll just trade this for some ultra comfy Sony MDR-CD780s since my ears probably can't tell apart a dog's bark from a cat's meow
blink.gif

Oh wellllll.

Would this be wise?

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 12
Try to bend the headband first - flatten it on its top part in order to relax the pressure on your ear pinna.

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
Get the grado Flat pads and you will see the difference.

I think you are the Sennheiser HD-212 kind of guy...slammy bass with poor definition and lots of sibilance
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey hey no need to get accusative here
wink.gif

My previous headphones was a pair of Senn HD497s.. I'm currently using 2 pairs of KSC-35.. so I sorta know my stuff too :p Just that I don't have the cash to blow on so much stuff like you guys do!

If there's one thing I can tell on sound, it's excess sibilance!

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by marvie
If there's one thing I can tell on sound, it's excess sibilance!

Grado & Alessandro - The Bright Side of the World.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yes, Grados are generally bright, but brighter also means more details. However this incovenience (sibilance & thin sound) is due to the conical design of the default earpads (bowls) and so called proximity effect. As gsferrari suggested, it's wise to get flat pads (the old one, from Todd the Vinyl Junkie) if you hear the sibilance. They will improve the sound.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 12
i think you'll learn to love them.

i didnt like them at first either, i found them clamping my brains apart (midn you, i still can't wear them for much more than an hour without taking a break) and found them to be very bright.

i've learned to really enjoy their sound and have since dedicated it to my computer for audio
smily_headphones1.gif
unfortunately they are too big and dont offer enough isolation for commuting

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by marvie
Ah yes... I forgot to mention that they leak tons..

Well I did expect them to leak, but wow.. it does REALLY leak like there's no tomorrow!

you need to learn the basics before making a purchase.

Open air-leak

Closed-no leak

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 12
The CD780s will leak a bunch also, but not as much as the Grados. I found the Grados comfortable, but if you're considering the Sonys because of that, I think their overall sound is at least as good as the SR80s. How much better either are than your KSC35s is debatable, but it's definitely there.

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Vedder323
you need to learn the basics before making a purchase.

Open air-leak

Closed-no leak

I do know this.. it's just that it leaks a lot compared to the HD 497..

Mar 7, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 12
I think Grado 80 is one of the best headphones under $100. Perhaps the best if not for Grado 60. I'm talking open air full size headphones. Please don't include earbuds or any other kinds...You said you want to trade it for Sony. What is the price range you're looking at??? I know comfort comes before sound. However, I know you will get big help from head-fi philes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back