so i finally plugged my etys into an amp...
Jul 6, 2002 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lucien

100+ Head-Fier
it seems odd, but while i've had a pair of ety ER-4Ps for six months now, i have never bothered trying them out plugged into my headroom supreme.

i'm not sure why, but i suspect i always worried that if i listened to them through a good source and amp, then they would lose their charm our of my minidisc recorder... and since that's how i listen to them 90% of the time, i didn't want that to happen.

surprisingly enough, the difference hasn't blown me away. the sound might be a bit fuller, but for the most part they are the same, which is to say f$%*ing brilliant.

i just changed the green filters on them for the first time too - for those of you wondering how you'll know when to do it, i thought the same thing. but all of a sudden the left channel sounded really muffled, and it was quite obvious.

do the rest of you do this sort of thing -- not listening to something for fear of liking it too much?

in related news, i think i'm going to get rid of my hd600s. i love them, but i just can't justify having them when i listen to the etys almost all the time anyway, and i'm a bit short of cash. anyone in australia interested?

i let someone listen to my etys for the first time last night. i'm very protective of them, you see. to say he was blown away would be a serious understatement. he he. and right off the bat, with no seal poblems or anything. i love these things.

Jul 6, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm not interested in the HD600's - but I am interested in any amps that you may not want anymore...

Long shot, but why not!

Jul 6, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 6
I personally think its all down to personal preference...

Even though my signature below says that I use them with all my home equipment, that these days just isn't happening ~ and i've reverted back to just listening through my Discman headphone output... (bearing in my Discman has a very clean output) my CHA47 amp in contrast just seems to fill the sound out slightly more.. and make it slightly richer.. which isn't always a good thing

Saying that... hopefully, some time within the next six weeks, I'll have a new toy to play with ~ that'll tell the men from the boys
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 6
IMHO, amping the 4Ps do give it more control, more refined base and mid. If the difference didn't blow you away that could mean that you had too much of expections amping them, perhaps?

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 6
well, it wasn't that i was expecting the earth just by amping them, since i know they're designed to function well without.

it was more that i expected significantly better sound from a marantz component player > headroom supreme > ety than from mzr900 md recorder > ety. that seems pretty reasonable, no?

i'm becoming more and more skeptical of the amount of difference the source makes to the overall sound, at least with these phones.

the same cannot be said of the hd600, which sounds positively anemic through the minidisc recorder.

end result: it turns out my portable setup isn't too compromised after all, and at home, the senns get the best from what they have available. all in all, i'm a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back