So I cracked my D2's touch screen layer :(
May 24, 2008 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Baines93

Headphoneus Supremus
Oh, why can i wind back time. Yesterday at a friends, i had my D2, phone, livewires (and SD cards, cleaning tool, and stylus in a case) on top of my laptop, and a glass of water in the other.

Fumbling for the light switch, in a ouse i dont know, somehow the D2 (uncased
frown.gif
) slipped off the laptop top, and hit the wood floor, face down.

I have only had it a couple of weeks, and it is only 4 months old, i just did a trade to get it and an 8gb sd, and in return traded Zen vision m 30gb, and just got my other 2 8gb cards for the d2 which i ordered when it arived.

The first time i drop it, sods law, it was uncased (eg. not in its altoids tin) and landed on a hard, wood, floor....

Im totally gutted, i wish i could just find back time.

The screen doesnt have any bleeding, but a hairline crack, and the touch screen is hard to use at best, and very flakey to use, i think the touch screen layer has cracked, not the whole screen, as it still looks perfect, just unfunctional.

So, im in the UK, it was bought from Advanced MP3 Players by the 1st owner, and i still have the printed reciept.

I read on cowon's website about repairs, and it doesnt mention the UK
frown.gif
Where can I repair my unit? - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

In order of preference, what can i do?:

So, does anyone know where to buy a new screen, i have looked but cant find any, this would be my preference as its cheap and easy, and im not without my d2. Anywhere online? Could cowon ship me one? Shame they arent as easy to come by as other manufacturers screens.

I could buy a broken d2 with a good screen, but i cant find one. I will be posting a WTB on here and iaudiophile. If you have either a screen, or whole broken d2 to sell let me know, i will pay the price of a repair for it! Again, the d2 being reasonably rare outside the geek market, they are hard to find. Other manufacturers have an abundance of broken players on ebay.

Next, what can Advanced MP3 players do, anything?

Next, how much would it cost to send it to be repaired, and how long would i be without it? Do they even repair outside of the US and Canada? Anywhere in the EU/UK?

--

So, links to screens for sale, let me know if you have a broken d2/screen for sale, what can the retailer do, what do cowon charge, do they fix outside of the us/canada, do they have a repair place in the eu/uk?

Any help appreciated!

Going to go and post some wtb's now!

Please help me choose what is best by answering any questions above if you can.

Matt

May 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 60
The D2 needs to be repaired by Cowon. The company does not sell parts. Take it back to the shop where you bought it and have them arrange for the repair. I believe it will need to be sent back to Korea for repair so be prepared for a sizable shipping bill. Since this accident is not covered under warranty, you would also have to pay the entire repair charge.

May 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 needs to be repaired by Cowon. The company does not sell parts. Take it back to the shop where you bought it and have them arrange for the repair. I believe it will need to be sent back to Korea for repair so be prepared for a sizable shipping bill. Since this accident is not covered under warranty, you would also have to pay the entire repair charge.

matt would have difficulty taking it back to the shop as he traded it with me,i bought the d2 in edinburgh and matt lives in england.

May 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by alan_g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
matt would have difficulty taking it back to the shop as he traded it with me,i bought the d2 in edinburgh and matt lives in england.

Yeah, i can send it back and pay $90 (just) but apparantly shipping is alot?

I sent an amp to hong kong (bigger box) for £6, so it can be too bad, the unit on its own. Will be gone ages though.

I would rather get a screen/broken d2 and fix it myself though. I would pay about $90 shipped for a broken d2 with a good screen, as it wont be gone , and is less risky than sending it across the world. And i would have some spare parts to spray up and custom maybe.

I have an ad up on iaudiophile, and here too.

Anyone know of any spare part sites? I cant find any
frown.gif

Im totally gutted. I loved it, it was perfect. I was finally content.

Matt

May 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 60
bababooey has a white 2gb d2 with a broken off power switch for sale for $80, so if i can get that for $80 shipped then im saving £5 + whatever shipping would be, and not loosing it for too long, and also getting some extra spares too.

I may spray one of the frames up, as i cant spray the back without loosing the logos.

So i will have a screenless 2gb, a spare (filed out at switch) frame, and a spare battery, and a spare non dab marked, 2gb back, and a white front too.

So i can go white front black back if it looks good, or black/black and spray my frame, and keep the bad (filled out at power switch frame incase the spray job on my mint frame goes wrong.

Just hope "sale pending possibly" means i will get it!

Thanks BC.

I will update.

Matt

May 24, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 60
Yeah, if i actually get the saviour, the $80 d2...

Save £5 and get a whole d2 (admittedly will be screenless, but i could send it in screenless to be repaired once my d2 is fixed, but if i get it for $80, a repair is $90 + shipping, so i have to get 180+ and it has no power switch and a hole filed out of the frame, so yeah, a spare (filed out) frame, and a 2gb main board and 2gb rear non dab logo'd [white] and 2gb front), and no wait time, and no shipping costs.

Matt

May 24, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 60
Be aware you'd probably pay income tax.

You could send me £150, I'll even convert it to DAB & clean it, still got my box too.
cool.gif

wink.gif

May 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 60
Why would i do that? I dont understand....That would make this 2gb player cost $380?!

If i put my broken screen in it, i will be missing its power slider, and have a filed out hole, and a broken screen, i may get $40 for it as spares, meaning it has only cost me $40 to fix mine up, so far cheaper than sending it to Korea, or even germany (who may charge more for repair!)

I cant see a use for a 2gb main board, and a filed out frame at power switch, and a white rear marked as 2gb non dab, to me.

The battery and front bezel may be of use, but after taking the screen thats it....

I only need the damn screen!

So i have to buy a 2gb (semi broken) d2 for the screen
frown.gif

I really cant even afford the broken d2 though.... I have so little money at the moment, and have exams coming not next week, but the one after, and i cant cope without my d2
frown.gif

Im so fed up... I want to cry...Im gutted, annoyed, frustrated, angry and upset
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

May 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 60
Joke.

...or your introduction to rip-off Britain.

May 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 60
Right, i was told the company it was bought from by the previous owner, Advanced MP3 Players were good with helping repairs, were closed when i called. Try tomorrow!

US Live support told me that they dont deal with people outside the US and Canada.

There is no EU site, so no EU live support grrr.

I will call AMP3P tomorrow, and hopefully they can do the repair, or organise it for me, to save me the cost of calling germany.

I miss my d2 so much!
frown.gif

Thanks for all the help people.

Thankyou.

Matt

May 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 60
Well i called Advaned Mp3 Players, where the d2 was bought from, and after checking if my sales no. meant it was purchased online, or instore, she told me i would have to speak to their Cowon person, and gave me an email address, and told me he/she will be able to organise it for me, and i should have a reply to my email (just sent it) in less than 24hrs.

It isnt the cheapest or easiest option, however i cant get a screen, or a broken d2, so it is the only option, and im missing my D2 so much now, its become urgent, and i cant wait anymore! Would be even worse if i was at school...

Just hope it comes back before my last 2 exams at the end of June, wont be in for my first, 8 days. Its nice to finish an exam, pick an sd card, pop in the livewires and get your feet tapping, while blocking out the sound of the lower school'ers
biggrin.gif

I will update with my email and a reply when it comes through.

Off to swat up some more for my first exam, 8 days from now. Argh, the stress....At least i have my laptop and Livewires, as i said above, it would be worse if i wasnt at school! (laptop=nono!)

Matt

May 29, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Matt,

Sorry to hear that you have broken your D2. You can find out details of
how to get the player repaired in Korea and the approximate cost by
emailing jamesjang@cowon.com.

The German service centre appears to have stopped taking enquiries form
outside Germany I'm afraid.

Kind Regards,

Advanced MP3 Players

TEL: 0131 273 4388
FAX: 0131 273 4397
EMAIL: sales@advancedmp3players.co.uk
WEB: http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

amp3digital.com Music & Video Download Store

This email (including any attachments) is confidential, privileged and
may be used only by the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not
the addressee (or a servant or agent obliged to deliver it to the
addressee) then you may not read, disseminate, print, copy, store or
otherwise use it. If you have received it in error, please notify
Advanced MP3 Players by replying to the address from which it was sent
and delete it from your system. This email and its attachments may have
been altered without the author's knowledge or consent. Any views
expressed are personal to the author, except where specifically stated
to be the views of Advanced MP3 Players. Advanced MP3 Players accepts no
liability of any kind either for any errors arising as a result of
electronic transmission or for any loss or damage which may be sustained
by any person as a result of this email and/or its attachments being
communicated to any person other than the intended recipient.

Advanced Players Ltd is a company incorporated in Scotland (registered
number SC242972), having its registered office at No 2, The Old Engine
House, Eskmills Business Park, Station Road, Musselburgh, EH21 7PQ,
United Kingdom. VAT Registration Number: GB790281912.

WEE/GC0256QW

Oh great, Korea
frown.gif

Ok, i will contact them now! Grrrr.

I am going to contact Germany direct too, and see, but he is probably correct.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back