So I bought an XPS M1330 (Help please!)
Jan 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ordeith

100+ Head-Fier
I recently moved from a bank type job back into student life (I gave it up for a hopeful PhD in philosophy - I love it).

In any case, let's get to the nitty gritty. The sound which this laptop produces is...well, let's just say I have never liked laptop speakers, and this is no exception. There is no line-out jack on the laptop, and there are two usb ports (and two headphone ports).

I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation. I travel a lot to conferences, so I can't get very 'heavy' speakers. I was hoping for a pair of usb speakers, or for some way to clean up the signal/amp the sound to a pair of stereo speakers. I'm on a tight budget (back to student life, yay!) Would anyone be willing to point out some options?

I listened to logitech z-10s the other day (usb powered, very light) and they were...much better than these laptop speakers, but not very good (in themselves). But they are rather convenient.

Is there any way to make the most of this bad situation?

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about headphones?

Headphones are an option, I suppose, but sometimes I'm in a situation where people want to watch something on my laptop - so I figured a speaker setup would be better for social situations.

I have UE10pros (and a tomahawk) for portable use. I don't think I could afford a method of buying an amp for home use (or even if I can, and use my headphones with that setup) I'd still face the issue of providing a better method for general listening.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Given thought to something like a used AlienDAC and Gigaworks T21 or Promedia 2.0? Neither are what I'd call portable (like music in the park), but both are easy to pack up for travel or something if you needed. I use the Promedia as my desktop computer speakers and have been very happy with them. They've got surprisingly good bass extension for such a small speaker even if they lack a little overall refinement. The Creative's are much more relaxed and smooth.

(And no, I don't condone blasting your music in public parks...
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back