So how small can you make a Cmoy?
Nov 6, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Has anyone ever experimented with cellphone batteries, minidisc gumstick batteries, or other small lithiums?

make sure you know what you're doing before you mess around with charging circuits and the like for li-on.... those things are much more dangerous and present many more problems.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre

Damn, I don't think I can beat that.
blink.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

I'll ask the question I'm sure others are thinking... Where can we get one? and if we can't get one, are the gerber files available?

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Wow. I'll take a dozen. They can't cost THAT much. (The downfall of every Head-Fier)

That's even small enough you could build it into an iPod dock connector and have it run off of the 3.3v rail supplied by the iPod.

Can you say minimalist rig?

Nov 7, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Ummm... I'm not even quite sure what to say about that. I'm not sure how much further down is possible... Gah! I could never solder that thing.

Speaking of small, wouldn't the smallest amp technically be done in a point-to-point dead bug form with all SMD components? It should be possible to make a cmoy around the width of one SMD opamp and say the thickness of two or three. Whoever pulls that off is officially the ultimate solder-monkey!

Nov 7, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Speaking of small, wouldn't the smallest amp technically be done in a point-to-point dead bug form with all SMD components? It should be possible to make a cmoy around the width of one SMD opamp and say the thickness of two or three. Whoever pulls that off is officially the ultimate solder-monkey!

Is that a challenge I hear? I don't think I got any dual SOIC opamps lying around to try with, but plenty of singles

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Ummm... I'm not even quite sure what to say about that. I'm not sure how much further down is possible... Gah! I could never solder that thing.

Yeahhh... I think I'll pass on that one.
redface.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 45
I did that tiny cmoy just to see how small I could make it, it's mostly just a concept design. Here's a link to the original thread giving details about the various parts used. The power supply capacitors are the biggest limitation since it's difficult to get high enough values in a really small size. Even the 6.3v 220uF ones that I originally used are disproportionately large on such a tiny pcb.

I can post the Eagle file if people are interested.

Nov 7, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

The smallest would need to use 01005 components, and opamp with package smaller than SOIC. If you look at how small the new Ipod Shuffle is, I think Apple should make an Ipod with CMOY integrated together, with their integration technology I doubt it would increase the size by significant amount, but the cost of CMOY would drop damatically in huge quantites. If a CMOY costs $100 in single, then it would drop by least 3 times in quantity of thousands, AND in millions? Just imagine what people would think if by simply paying $40 extra for a $200 iPod more you can get even better sound, and what Apple would think for every extra $40 sold they are bringing in $35 because each CMOY only costs $5 in quantity of millions (as an example). It's too bad that not many Ipod buyers know the benefits of having a headphone amp, otherwise we talking about another multi-million dollar market. When the right opportunity comes, I don't see any reason why not start a new company to produce this product.

Nov 7, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

I can post the Eagle file if people are interested.

Please do!! I'de like to build one. Seems like an interesting project and would be a nice challenge ofr those that want to try out SMD soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back