So...how is Houston.
Feb 18, 2006 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Blitzula

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm kicking the idea of leaving the San Francisco Bay Area and moving to Houston, Texas. Anyone have any experience and thoughts on such a move? I'm basically just trying to understand the pros and cons of the quality of life. Clearly, there would be a financial benefit.

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 46
Having lived just outside Houston, and visited San Francisco often, I would say that perks stop with the financial benefit. The weather is worse, the pollution is worse, the attractions are worse, the food is worse, and the traffic is worse.

In my mind, moving to Houston is like moving to a conservative Los Angeles. Instead of movies, everone is there for oil. If you are looking to make a move, I would consider Chicago instead - though that might not be a possibility for you.

Of course, YMMV.

BPRJam

[EDIT: MAJOR typo - I put "liberal Los Angeles" when I meant "conservative Los Angeles". Sorry about that.]

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 46
I recently moved from Los Angeles to Houston. If you love the natural beauty that is NorCal, I would say a move here is a bad idea, as this is pretty much a plains/marsh area, and not particularly interesting to look at. It gets ferociously hot, so if you love the mildness of the bay area, stay away from here.

Traffic is not as consistently bad, but it is a major city, and can have its snarls from time to time.

It has all the stuff any major American city has, art house theatres, an excellent museum in the form of the MFAH, trendy yuppie area of River Oaks, hip clubbing on Westheimer, etc.

Real estate is far cheaper, and if you have a good professional career, you can do far better on your salary here than in SanFran.

If it wasn't for my family being in Louisiana, I doubt I would have moved from Los Angeles. I would love to live in San Francisco (or anywhere in California) but alas that must be a dream for now.......

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by BPRJam
Instead of movies, everone is there for oil.

This is by far the most grossly stupid thing I've ever read on this site.

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 46
More about me.

I lived in Fresno for 7 years, so the heat isn't a big deal. Although the humidity is something I haven't experienced.

I can't live anywhere where it snows at all or rains a lot.

I'm a homebody, most of my social activity outside of everyday things like movies and going out to eat is concerts. That's the one thing I love here that I know I'll miss...live heavy metal music.

So basically, I'm paying quite a bit to own a condo here when I don't take advantage of the weather or amenities. I might be one of those people who could live anywhere warm, as long as I had Netflix, Gamefly, cable, high speed internet (and national metal shows if I could get them). And a decent market for Accountants (I'm a CPA and work as a Senior Accountant for a high tech company in the area).

Due to recent family changes, nothing is really keeping me in the area, and I have some equity in my condo now because of the insane real estate market the last couple of years. I was thinking of Houston because my company might be able to transer me there at a decent salary.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 46
I'm from NYC, but I've been in Houston for about 9 years. If you haven't experienced humidity... it can get pretty bad. Like others have said, Houston has bad weather, bad food, bad traffic. However, the land is cheap, the houses are cheap, and the public schools in a few places are pretty good.

FWIW: If fundies bother you, stay away :|.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 46
As a native Texan, I *dream* of living in a culturally established city like San Francisco. Its art, music, outdoor recreation, educated populace, natural beauty, and progressive political nature greatly appeal to me.

BPRJam is correct in that the #1 (and perhaps only) advantage in moving to Houston is for financial gain. Everything else takes a nosedive by comparison. The air quality is worse, the summer heat oppressive, the local culture several years behind the times, and you'll be hard pressed to find much else to do besides shop, watch movies, and eat at restaurants.

Living in Houston will provide you with more disposable income, but you will NEED it to buy your way out of a monotonous existence. Of course, if you are fully content with being a homebody, why not take the extra cash if you aren't really "using" the culture anyway?

I guess it all comes down to "what do you live for"? What truly makes you happy?

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 46
is this planet houston????

heheh

I was there over thanksgiving, my sister and her fiancee live out there now... We stayed at this really nice hotel the houstonian, had lost fo fun out there... the highways suck though!

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
If fundies bother you, stay away

I simply can't believe I am reading such blatantly insulting and hateful comments on this site. What if someone said of San Francisco "If queers bother you, stay away?"

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 46
That wasn't meant to be offensive. I don't, by any means, have problems with people who are religious, and I wouldn't get into that on Head-Fi. However, there *is* a difference between people who are religious, and quite a few of the people that live down here. As I previously mentioned, I'm not getting into this on Head-Fi, because we're not supposed to. Furthermore, you saying that what I said was "hateful and insulting" "blatantly" pisses me off. If you find /that/ hateful, you might need to rethink your definition of the word.

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #11 of 46
My friend bought a 5 bedroom mansion in/around Houston for around $500k, which is just about how as much as a 3 bedroom not-so-great house in an a not-so-great LA neighborhood would cost, or a 2 bedroom okay condo.

But he hates life there, being Asian. I'd say if you're white, or you're something else but extremely Americanized (as in no real ethnic background) then you might find the atmosphere nice. But he complains constantly of having nothing good to eat. Says the incredible steaks and BBQ grow old fast.

He complains that people there are more racist as well (that's not my opinion by the way, just stating what a person said); he feels like people clearly treat him differently. But I don't know that for a fact--could be all in his head. Cause you know, people complain about that in every state, including here. But it's just something to consider. (I personally have NEVER experienced blatant racism against me ever in my life.)

He's a wealthy guy though. Only reason he lives there is to make even more money. So, I would say that corroborates the other statements here.

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
More about me.

I lived in Fresno for 7 years, so the heat isn't a big deal. Although the humidity is something I haven't experienced.

I can't live anywhere where it snows at all or rains a lot.

I'm a homebody, most of my social activity outside of everyday things like movies and going out to eat is concerts. That's the one thing I love here that I know I'll miss...live heavy metal music.

So basically, I'm paying quite a bit to own a condo here when I don't take advantage of the weather or amenities. I might be one of those people who could live anywhere warm, as long as I had Netflix, Gamefly, cable, high speed internet (and national metal shows if I could get them). And a decent market for Accountants (I'm a CPA and work as a Senior Accountant for a high tech company in the area).

Due to recent family changes, nothing is really keeping me in the area, and I have some equity in my condo now because of the insane real estate market the last couple of years. I was thinking of Houston because my company might be able to transer me there at a decent salary.

Hey Blitz, interesting to find out you're a former Fresnan! I've lived around here most of my life. But I have spent quite a while in Houston and Austin as well.

If what you say about living anywhere warm with "Netflix, Gamefly, cable, high speed internet" then I think you might fit right in Houston. The traffic is bad, but not quite as bad as Bay Area traffic (the worst IMO, moreso even than LA), and it tends to be much more time-specific than CA traffic (i.e. getting stuck going 5mph on the 101 south in Santa Clara, or Santa Barbara at 2AM GRRRRRR!). Summer weather is not quite like Fresno, I find the days more tolerable as the temps are generally lower than Fresno, but the humditiy is higher (i.e. your AC works better), but the nights suck, as the high humidity and lack of steep temperature decrease means you need the AC on ALL night. I hope you're not a nature guy, because there is virtually none in Houston, at least compared to California. The food can be great, though not the same kinds that you might enjoy in CA (try finding good (real) Chinese, good luck!). If you could survive in Fresno, you can get by in Houston, because Houston certainly is more entertaining than Fresno (if you don't count stuff like Yosemite, Sequoia, etc..).

I would recommend Austin over Houston. I think your job prospects would be pretty good, the town is really booming. There is a much more lively cultural scene in Austin (both musical and otherwise), and a much greater concentration of forward-thinking individuals that really serves to advance life. The traffic is nowhere near as bad as Houston, and the humidity is less severe. There is also a better concentration of good food in Austin. Plus you are no more than three hours from any Texas' three largest cities, which lets you go enjoy what any of them have to offer on a day off or weekend. Austin also is a more "nature-y" sort of place than Houston, with nice hills, lakes, and rivers, as well as being located closer to some nicer country areas. I also quite enjoyed the area from Austin to San Antonio (San Marcos, New Braunfels, etc.), which I think is more liveable than Houston or Dallas.

There is such a significant financial advantage to this area of the country, as compared to where you live now, I can see how it would be compelling. I personally found it hard to give up the unique culture and nature of California, and I doubt I will leave again, despite the high cost of living. I don't know if any of us can really answer this question for you, though, since there is nothing like going and finding out for yourself.

Feb 18, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #15 of 46
I lived in Houston for 22 years...I really came to love it actually...I made great friends there.

- You never get used to the heat...August is the worst. The rest of the year isn't really bad.
- Air quality is really only terrible on the east side of town. Don't live there...it's all chemical factories & oil refineries. North & northwest are the best parts of town to live in.
- I think the low cost of real estate is getting wildly underemphasized here...you can get a brand-new, 4 bedroom house in a great neighborhood for under $250k. Not sure what that buys in the San Fran area...
- Big sports town (both pro & college) with some decent sports talk radio stations.
- You can golf just about year round.
- Country music...could be a pro or a con (for me, it was a definite minus)
- Some great tex-mex & mexican food...lots of good restaurants
- Texas in general is a great place really...I wasn't born there, but I did become Texas-proud over time. Austin & many other cool places are within easy driving distance. The music scene in Austin is pretty cool.

Coming from San Francisco (I've never visited there), I can only guess that you'll never prefer Houston...but I think you'll find some things to like about Houston if you give it a chance.

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back