So, how far away are we from seeing 64g CF cards that are reasonably priced?
Jul 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Podtweaker

100+ Head-Fier
I'm kind of torn between doing a HDD to CF conversion or going to a larger HDD drive. The larger HDD route has'nt been as easy to accomplish as it first appeared. The CF conversion appears to be a lot less trouble! The only thing is a lot of what I listen to has been averaging about 2gigs per music file! I can live w/ 64g of storage space (I may even be able to live w/ 32g for a while anyway but 64 would be a"done deal" if the price was reasonable.)

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of torn between doing a HDD to CF conversion or going to a larger HDD drive. The larger HDD route has'nt been as easy to accomplish as it first appeared. The CF conversion appears to be a lot less trouble! The only thing is a lot of what I listen to has been averaging about 2gigs per music file! I can live w/ 64g of storage space (I may even be able to live w/ 32g for a while anyway but 64 would be a"done deal" if the price was reasonable.)

I cannot answer the question, but what on Earth is two gigs per file? That is not even from a CD. It would have to be from a DVD. And with a double layerd DVD and assuming it is 2GB lossless, that is two songs (I assume that is what a music file is, right?) per DVD. What DVDs are these?

-Nkk

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot answer the question, but what on Earth is two gigs per file? That is not even from a CD. It would have to be from a DVD. And with a double layerd DVD and assuming it is 2GB lossless, that is two songs (I assume that is what a music file is, right?) per DVD. What DVDs are these?

-Nkk

Hi-Rez Downloads or SACDs that I record to DFF on my Korg! Some of the 24 bit/192khz downloads I have on my computer are a lot larger than 2gigs! By music file I mean an entire "Album" or "CD"(if they were recorded at 24b/88.2K or higher resolution) ! There are several thousand SACDs that have been recorded & at least a few hundred Hi-rez downloads in existence! DVD-As can be anywhere from 24b/48k to 24/192. My Korg will play anything from CD resolution to any of the higher resolutions I've mentioned.

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 18
Yeah I'm confused at what music file is over 2 gigabytes.

Even if it's DVD audio, you do know that the DAP is only giving you 2 channels of 16/48, right? Which means that you should be able to fit almost 3 hours of WAV in 2 gigs.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm confused at what music file is over 2 gigabytes.

Even if it's DVD audio, you do know that the DAP is only giving you 2 channels of 16/48, right? Which means that you should be able to fit almost 3 hours of WAV in 2 gigs.

Once again see the posting previous to your's! The 16bit/48k DVD audio recordings are a bit lame considering that 24bit is part of the original specifications available for DVD-a & multi-channel is really not that necessary or what it's cracked up to be ! Most SACDs are about 2gigs they sound considerably better than most CDs to me,I have a lot of them. (I listen to Classical,Jazz & some acoustic music most of the time)

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 18
OK, well, your Korg might play those at their original word length and sample rate, but AFAIK every other DAP in the world (except maybe the hifiman?) will resample them.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, well, your Korg might play those at their original word length and sample rate, but AFAIK every other DAP in the world (except maybe the hifiman?) will resample them.

There is no "might play them" about it, the Korg will & does play them. AFAIK no PDAP can perform resampling of any sort, they can only play back codecs that are written into their OS. We're completely off subject here though, as my question was about when can we expect to see reasonably priced 64g CF cards to start appearing.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
y'all can't even tell the difference.. stop acting like you can.

What are you talking about? Do you even know what a CF card is? That's what my posting is about!!! I've always believed if you asked a simple question you would get a simple answer, but this is becoming ridiculous! Your statement is not only one of the most stupid beliefs that a lot of people have ,it is arrogant beyond belief to assume that others are making up things because you can't hear differences, but who cares what you believe anyway. More importantly, it has NOTHING to do with the posting! Does anyone know how to delete a thread that you've authored? We should be able to do this ,considering the fact it was our thought process that generated the thread. Correct?

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 18
Whoa! Easy there. You probably aren't getting the response you want because people just don't know. You are always going to get people who will state that you can't hear the difference between this and that. It is a debate that will never be settled to anyone's satisfaction so no need to get yourself worked up about it.

As for 64gb CF cards: I myself am waiting with baited breath till these things are readily available. I keep hearing that flash memory is supposed to drop in prices as well as increase in capacity but it is oh, so slow in coming. I've seen the 32gb prices drop by about 40% since I bought mine over a year ago but no sign of 64s. You can get them in SDHC so I don't know if CF is losing its legs. I've heard of 64gb CF cards announced nearly a year ago. What happened? Frustrating!

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 18
Jul 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want 1TB CF to mod my iriver H140 that way have another backup copy of my music collection, in lossless.

You might have to wait quite a bit since the current CompactFlash specification seems to peak out at a maximum of 184 GB.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back