So how do you like the Zune 80?
Nov 26, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The zune30 with new firmware does have the eq still under settings. I just saw it on mine the other day when exploring the UI menus.

yep it does have the EQ but prior to the firmware using no EQ was very flat, it now sounds much better.. I find the other presets still bloated or harsh, the Hip-Hop setting I found the best and used it at times...

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #32 of 177
I love mine, but the new software has a couple annoying bugs:

1. Any items missing metadata in the "album artist, artist, album name, or track number" fields will sync continuously making duplicates on the Zune. Use mediamonkey or similar clean up your metadata or prepare for frustration.

2. All the documentation you get with the Zune 80 says to hold the play button down to shut it off. What this does is put in in a hibernate mode that still drains the battery slightly, but allows you to instantly resume. If you turn off your unit in this manner at night you will wake to a half dead battery. I suspect there is a bug in the firmware, but luckily there is a workaround in that if you hold the back button and down on the dpad the unit will fully shut down. The only thing difficult about this feature is that it is completely undocumented.

These 2 problems aside< I love the unit and find having it on a dock with wireless sync actually is useful. The dock has both composite and progressive output, and the zune 80 can hold full DVD resolution. The actual interface is great and the touch control on the squircle works better than you might think. She will need a software update or two to work the kinks out, but all in all this is a wonderful media player.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #33 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These 2 problems aside< I love the unit and find having it on a dock with wireless sync actually is useful. The dock has both composite and progressive output, and the zune 80 can hold full DVD resolution. The actual interface is great and the touch control on the squircle works better than you might think. She will need a software update or two to work the kinks out, but all in all this is a wonderful media player.

That sounds awesome. What dock are you using?

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #34 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Zune 80 lisen via Denon c700's.

Sounds very clean and flat, absolutely no hype.

Versus my Sony NWZ-818 I'd say it's not quite as dynamic or rich, but makes up for it by having none of the Sony's bacground hiss, all in all I'd call it a draw. The Zune A/V dock has a line out that is tru line level and also sounds absolutely clean and detailed with my 256kbps or better MP3 files.

and I am curious, when connected to the dock, does it disable volume controls? and if not, suggested volume setting?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #36 of 177
I am using the 2nd gen Microsoft Home A/V pack. The volume still works when docked, I put it to maximum as this will yields the best dynamic range and signal to noise ratio. The dock is somewhat pricey at $99, but does add useful functionality. On a semi-related note, if anyone uses the Logitech Harmony series of remotes, these work well with the Zune Dock. Also, the ac adapter has a USB socket and can be used to charge any device that charges from USB.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #37 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevodotorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I am curious, when connected to the dock, does it disable volume controls? and if not, suggested volume setting?
smily_headphones1.gif

It doesn't disable the volume; in fact, the volume still works perfectly well through both the line-out of the dock and the headphone jack. Not only that, but the Zune automatically sets the volume to 20 (maximum, as it is assuming that you have a receiver or some such with its own separate volume control) when you set it in the dock, and reverts to whatever volume you had prior when removed. It's a small thing, but it's really handy in day-to-day use.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #38 of 177
Anyone know of any good speaker setups for Zune that have decent bass and quality? Someone kept recommending the Altec Lansing IM7 to me, and while they're designed for iPods I guess it would work with the Zune possibly as well. I can't find them anywhere though.

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #40 of 177
Let your Ipod friends play with it for about 5 minutes and it becomes obvious which one they think is cooler/better...

I have showed mine to several ipod owners and they are amazed...I show them podcast, videos (My DVDs), Radio (Very good reception), Pictures and let them listen to lossless music on an old pair of sennheiser HD 450 (Which I'm replacing with something more efficient for the player) and they are blown away by the sound quality and easy to use controls.

You do not need a EQ.

Software sucks right now, but that's to be expected on just about any new release,,,They will fix it soon...

Very happy with mine...

LQQK

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #41 of 177
I'm getting one for sure then, thanks!

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #43 of 177
anyone know if the Zune 4/8 or 80 will work ok in the UK if i import it? Not like if u walk into the UK is will stop working :p, but will i be able to use the software? upload files to the device? I heard that the marketplace wont work, which i am not too worried about.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #44 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by addz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know if the Zune 4/8 or 80 will work ok in the UK if i import it? Not like if u walk into the UK is will stop working :p, but will i be able to use the software? upload files to the device? I heard that the marketplace wont work, which i am not too worried about.

it should work as mine (Zune 30) works perfectly on Central America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back