so how do u convince your loved ones?
Feb 28, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #76 of 90
I point out that I could buy a lot of drugs with the money, or I could get my dopamine fix from some awesome music. Also, it is my money, since every penny was earned. Buying in increments helps, and talking it over and over with them, trying to find the best one for the price reinforces the belief that I'm spending my money wisely, rather than foolishly on a whim.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find a shovel to the back of the head to be quite convincing.
confused_face.gif

Beats the Phipps idea to pieces.....no pun intended..

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not picking specifically on college students per say. It's more of a general financial irresponsibility trend that's going on these days.

Most people are in debt (college, credit, whatever), but instead of paying it off they buy MORE stuff they don't need, living a lifestyle beyond their league to keep up with the joneses. Again, it's not only college students. It's the guy you see walk in downtown on their iphones. It's the guy who "needs" a daily Starbucks fix.

It bugs me when I see annual threads like "what headphones are you going to buy with your tax return". First thought on my mind is, where is the option for "None - will put towards my retirement/mortage" ?? Honestly, if you need to wait for a tax return, or save money in order to buy headphones, you really need to do a double-take on your financial priorities.

well put.
could not agree more.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #79 of 90
I just told my husband that I need to buy 2 pairs of headphones and he said he'd like to buy one pair for me... isn't that romantic?
regular_smile .gif

Don't hate me just yet, I rarely buy anything for myself and I swear I didn't create the national financial crisis.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just told my husband that I need to buy 2 pairs of headphones and he said he'd like to buy one pair for me... isn't that romantic?
regular_smile .gif

Don't hate me just yet, I rarely buy anything for myself and I swear I didn't create the national financial crisis.
tongue_smile.gif

The man is a certified Cassanova....marry him......nm you already did that

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #81 of 90
I just buy it. I may sell off old gear to pay for new/used. Buying classic gear means that I can unload it at little or no loss. If a loss, I consider that rent. Right now I'm buried in headphones. Soon I'll sell off some of the herd and then buy something that I really want. My last great purchase was a McIntosh integrated amp. I bought it with the fees that I earned for reviewing textbooks. As long as I'm contribuiting to the household accounts, I have some lolly for fun stuff. I think that a reasonable way to do things (budgets are somewhat tight as I'll be doing extensive travelling this summer) is to set aside 50 bucks a month for toys (with the caveat that one can go over budget if one pays it off with the 50 a month). Of course, the extra that I may earn is gravy. If one is paying one's bills, why not indulge in fun stuff. You only live once, unless you believe in reincarnation or somewhat of an afterlife. Are there headphones in heaven?

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #82 of 90
I work part time and rarely spend my paychecks. My parents didn't seem to mind that I spent 150 bucks on headphones. lol...relatives give me money for b-days and Christmas, so I usually treat myself to an expensive toy twice a year.

just think...everyone has something thats important to them that they spend money on. Whenever I start to feel guilty about how much I spend on electronics (lol not a lot) I just remember how many pairs of shoes my sister has, then I reallize everyone spends money on toys they dont need.

and hey; just think how much cheaper an audio hobby is than...say...something like cars
wink.gif

just save most of it and dont spend what you dont have.

as for talking your parents into it, look at it this way, its better than spending money on drugs or alcohol. just tell them new headphones will keep you anti-social and out of trouble.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there headphones in heaven?

...maybe there are...

...same with hell, only difference is they will be skullcandy smokin' buds fused to the ears with the same hannah montana song stuck on repeat for all eternity...
eek.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #84 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The man is a certified Cassanova....marry him......nm you already did that

He's not a casanova!
A real casanova wouldn't let his wife balance his checkbook, lol

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #85 of 90
I'm 19, single living with parents and work 50-60 hours a week.

Of course, it's my first job so I'm not making awesome $, but it's still better than minimal wage.

This Christmas I asked for $100 MS-1's and my mom said that was fine, as long as they sounded dang good.
biggrin.gif

Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but when they listened to my alessandros, they were impressed and they haven't said anything about it since, except for wanting to listen to them.
biggrin.gif

So I do budget pretty well, all the overtime $ I get I spend it on my own personal hobbies, and pretty much the rest goes into a savings account.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! Metal car wheel covers? You're describing hub caps.

Rims are literally just another word for wheels. The entire solid wheel itself that bolts to hub.

Does your browser not display pictures?

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regular_smile .gif

tongue_smile.gif

how lucky are you lol, i think its cheaper to start looking for a partner by the looks of it.

Quote:

Are there headphones in heaven?

nah..they artists are proly there in live concert serenading you as you eat grapes off sexy miss world winners of the years.

Quote:

and hey; just think how much cheaper an audio hobby is than...say...something like cars

yeah..except for the time when i saw a second hand pair of orpheus go for 33000 and i was like :O...u can buy a second hand BMW for that much!.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #88 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by zantetsuken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah..except for the time when i saw a second hand pair of orpheus go for 33000 and i was like :O...u can buy a second hand BMW for that much!.

kk, so if its gonna be like that, how about said orpheus NEW vs. top of the line Lamborghini....

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #89 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kk, so if its gonna be like that, how about said orpheus NEW vs. top of the line Lamborghini....

lolz yeh..sighs...........lamborghini...........they shud make headphones too...then the world wud be a perfect place.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back