So how did all of you get started on the high end music player/IEM/amp trail?
Dec 5, 2008 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FYDave

Banned
I'm asking out of curiosity. I figure it'd be fun to have a discussion about how everyone ended up going down this path of high end headphones/IEMs and such.

I think the first time I had any contact with high end anything related to music was a few years ago in high school I was in my local CompUSA (since closed, which makes me very sad. It'd been there since I moved to the US.) and I saw a box with Shure written across the top. They were E4c's and E4g's I think. I remember my eyeballs almost rolling out of my skull from the price tag. I think at the time they were three or four hundred dollars.

Since then, I've been reading on and off about stuff like that to see if the price was ever justifiable. Eventually I got my second or third iPod and got sick of the iPod stock buds so I upgraded to some CX300s.. which I then broke.. so then I hopped on the Sony bandwagon. Now I finally have arrived with Super.fi 4's and 5's.

I think my next step is going to be Westone 3s, TF10s, or Shure SE530s.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 20
I was doing research to find a nice pair of noise-isolating earphones for under $150 since I was a bit disappointed in my Vmoda Bass Freqs and KSC-75. During that time, a friend of mine bought a pair of Shure SE530s. I thought that he must have been crazy to spend thaaat much. He told me that he bought the best (his opinion) earphones so that he won't have to keep upgrading. I bought his logic, and I ended up buying a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pros.

Unfortunately, since then... I have purchased Westone 3, Altec Lansing UHP336, NuForce NE-8...

I guess it never ends.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 20
I'd say Ive progressed pretty fast when it comes to headphones and audio equipment. It all started when my crappy Phillips headphones crapped out back when I had my Ipod Mini (which I still this is the best player ive had). So I searched around for new headphones, and trying somthing new. I stumbled upon the JBL Reference 220 for 30 bucks on amazon, and already having JBL speakers I was very excited.

When I got the JBL's and put them in, very disappointed. No bass, tinny. Then I remember some one saying to try all the sizes for these, ive never had an IEM before, so this was all new to me. Once I found my size I was amazed, I didnt know that music could sound this good. This was a year ago.

Six months later, my JBL's died on me, a very sad day. So I started to look around again. I was at the Apple store and I saw the Shure SE110, I instantly grabbed them. I remember when I was like 14 I saw these in a magazine (e2c) and I wished I had some. Also when I was at the Apple store, I saw the Klipsch Image, which are the X10 now, and I dreamed to have those some day. I got home put the shures on, wasn't to impressed. It took me about a week to come from the bass heavy JBL's to the detailed Shures.

Now while I still have my Shures and do love them alot, I do have the Klipsch Image X10 and the less used Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10. Its terrible that in 1 year I have progressed all the way to the top of the universal IEM category. Since I am only 18 also, all of my paychecks basically went to headphones, and I do not regret it at all.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 20
I guess I'm lucky to be IEM-intolerant, so the options to ruin my wallet are somewhat limited
bigsmile_face.gif

Was looking for something smaller (preferably earbuds) to replace my KSC/35, ended up on Yuin PK3 and PK2. Will probably buy the PK1 with an amp in the near future. And the Crossroads MylarOne HR1/HR2 seem to be pretty nice too, hmmm
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say Ive progressed pretty fast when it comes to headphones and audio equipment. It all started when my crappy Phillips headphones crapped out back when I had my Ipod Mini (which I still this is the best player ive had). So I searched around for new headphones, and trying somthing new. I stumbled upon the JBL Reference 220 for 30 bucks on amazon, and already having JBL speakers I was very excited.

When I got the JBL's and put them in, very disappointed. No bass, tinny. Then I remember some one saying to try all the sizes for these, ive never had an IEM before, so this was all new to me. Once I found my size I was amazed, I didnt know that music could sound this good. This was a year ago.

Six months later, my JBL's died on me, a very sad day. So I started to look around again. I was at the Apple store and I saw the Shure SE110, I instantly grabbed them. I remember when I was like 14 I saw these in a magazine (e2c) and I wished I had some. Also when I was at the Apple store, I saw the Klipsch Image, which are the X10 now, and I dreamed to have those some day. I got home put the shures on, wasn't to impressed. It took me about a week to come from the bass heavy JBL's to the detailed Shures.

Now while I still have my Shures and do love them alot, I do have the Klipsch Image X10 and the less used Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10. Its terrible that in 1 year I have progressed all the way to the top of the universal IEM category. Since I am only 18 also, all of my paychecks basically went to headphones, and I do not regret it at all.

That is pretty bonkers that you've basically got the top of the universal world right now and you can't even legally drink... if you live in the US. That's quite a lot of money to spend. Want to buy me some Shure SE530s or Westone 3s for Christmas?
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 20
i went to a music store one day and saw Sennheisser products and was allowed to try them. Thoughts of articles in the news about how drug dealers get you addicted to their products using similar methods crossed my mind after money left wallet.

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FYDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is pretty bonkers that you've basically got the top of the universal world right now and you can't even legally drink... if you live in the US. That's quite a lot of money to spend. Want to buy me some Shure SE530s or Westone 3s for Christmas?
biggrin.gif

Hahaha sorry, but I am taking a break on buying headphones for a little bit. Because of this I can't afford to do anything, so I am holding back alittle. Also I am saving up to get my new guitar (Epiphone Les Paul). When I came onto this forum and I heard "sorry about your wallet", you wern't kidding. But I am loving every minute, even though my friends think I am totally ridiculous. I did get two of my friends get the denon 551 and the ety er6i, because one they needed new ones.. and I wanted to try them haha..

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha sorry, but I am taking a break on buying headphones for a little bit. Because of this I can't afford to do anything, so I am holding back alittle. Also I am saving up to get my new guitar (Epiphone Les Paul). When I came onto this forum and I heard "sorry about your wallet", you wern't kidding. But I am loving every minute, even though my friends think I am totally ridiculous. I did get two of my friends get the denon 551 and the ety er6i, because one they needed new ones.. and I wanted to try them haha..

Dude. You're like a pusher. You just peddle your crack on the street corner. Good god.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the grado sr80 was my gateway drug last christmas.

x2, but my gateway drug was 8 Xmases ago (got them from my wife). First pair of non-crap IEMs were FutureSonics EM3s (precursor to the Atrios). What a long, strange trip it's been.

Of course, I am a veteran of the Sony Walkman (cassettes that is) days, so I was into personal stereo in its formative years. And I remember getting a pair of plasticky Senns, at the time top-shelf, with yellow pads (open) to go with my Walkman as a freshman in college.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 20
I bought my first pair or non-stock headphones after highschool, for my new cheap mp3 player. At the time, I didn't really care about SQ. I just wanted some durable on-ears, and ended up getting some over-priced Sony streetstyles. After a few cheap purchases, all based on form and function over sound, I bought a pair of HD201s in Singapore. Again, this purchase was driven by my desire for closed circumaurals. That got me hooked. I bought another pair of Sennheisers, but felt like I needed to know more before I bought anything else. So, I started reading up on headphones, mostly at HeadRoom (headphone.com) and Headphonic (headphone.com.au). Bought the AKG K26Ps based on their recommendations, and while later, I discovered Head-Fi. Since then, I've bought (in chronological order) Denon C351 and C551, Denon D1001, KSC K75, ER-6i, and HD25. Some upgrading, but still mostly mid-fi stuff. I picked up a Fiio and a 2Move, both on impluse too.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 20
I don't have an MP3 player at the moment. The first set of headphones I ever heard were Mura Hi-Steppers. My brother got a set for X-mas when I was about 7 or so (I'm now 38). I had a few Aiwa (sp?) FM players with cheap headphones, and haven't ever had a DAP, nor a pair of IEM's.

I currently have a Sansa Clip 4 GB enroute to me via the US Mail, and also a set of the Westone 3's. I am hopeful that these will last me for a long time, and I won't need to buy anything else for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back