So how comparable are the Shure e530s to the Westone UM2s ?
Jun 6, 2008 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Podtweaker

100+ Head-Fier
According to one of the sites carrying both of these IEMs it's claimed that the 530s are more detailed in the midrange while the UM2s have better low freq extension & are more balanced. Is this a pretty accurate take on them ? Are they close ? Most of my listening is of Classical music & acoustic jazz w/ some singer/songwriter thrown in & very little of what I listen to wasn't recorded without trying to capture a live perspective of the performance. Any opinions on these phones?

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Wrong forum. You want the headphone forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to one of the sites carrying both of these IEMs it's claimed that the 530s are more detailed in the midrange while the UM2s have better low freq extension & are more balanced. Is this a pretty accurate take on them ? Are they close ? Most of my listening is of Classical music & acoustic jazz w/ some singer/songwriter thrown in & very little of what I listen to wasn't recorded without trying to capture a live perspective of the performance. Any opinions on these phones?

Jun 7, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 4
I remember owning the Westone UM2s. I didn't find them to be impressive. They did sound good, but not worth the money, imo. Although they were better than my Shure E2cs they were not that much better, imho. Then again I don't even use IEM anymore. I stick to open headphones.

Sorry for not having any relevent input, lol.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 4
I must agree lsportline - I got a pair second hand from a chap on these forums and am glad I got them at about half price. No way I could spend the full amount on them - yes they're fun, yes they're easy to listen to, and yes they're good as portable IEMs with amazing comfort and great isolation with the right tips. And YES, they do start to become more detailed if you use a bi-flange tip, but there was just nothing special about them for that price-point.

IF you do stage monitoring though, many people use UM2s without a doubt from my experiences and they buy them by the bucket load at full price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back