So...HD 600 or DT880?
Mar 5, 2003 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
I have DT831 on the way because I need closed cans. At the risk of little kids following me around giggling and pointing, I intend to use these for commute as well as at work. The design is fine - its just that they're full size.
For home use, my current dillema is whether to buy Senn HD600 of Beyer DT880. I'm inclined toward DT880, but am pulled by the venerable reputation HD 600. Which do - you - think is the better phone? My music tastes are primarily rock and soft jazz and classical on occasion for inspiration. I'm looking for neutral transparency and well detailed highs and good bass (but not enhanced!).
From the threads I've read, they're about equal, with the nod going to either one depending on if its tues or wed. One thing I don't like is that its not enough to shell out 350.00 for HD600, but you have to buy after market amp - and - cord to make 'em work to capacity! Isn't this like buing a car and having to change the transmission to make it fulfill its potential?
I do have a supermini V4 but I don't know how well this will drive.
I need to know if these add-ons (amp and cable) make it a better phone. Forgive ne if I am not senstive to nuances of tweaking, but I am a noob.

Mar 5, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Jag,

I think you answered your own question. as an economic choice the DT880 may be the better value. It is probably about 97% of what the HD600 is. you will probably have a problem switching over from the DT831, since it's percieved bright nature (you may find that the DT880 lacks highs, and because you're used to those highs), you may find yourself turning up the volume to dangerous levels to try to hear very high end detail. in such a case, the CD3000, while being more expensive, may be the better choice since it has a 'brighter' highend than the DT880. you really should try to audition the DT880 alsongside the CD3000, W1000 and HD600.

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 9
HD600 can be had for $219 or $229, including shipping, at Audiogon from HiFiforless or Sound Emporium. I just got a pair from HiFiforless and they arrived within a few days, brand spanking new. No warranty issues either, I phoned Sennheiser to make sure and they said they would honor any warranty on a headphone of theirs with a proof of purchase regardless of where you bought it. True they need an amp to sound their best (even though I've ran them off a computer output and they sounded pretty good), but there is $125 less than you thought you might spend on them.

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 9
thanks for your comments. I probably went blurred my basic question, so ley me rephrase:
Is HD600 a significantly better phone with cardas/amp than DT880 with amp only?
There is a Meet in DC area this Sat, that I will attend if I can get out of other commitment.

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Jag, Quote:

Is HD600 a significantly better phone with cardas/amp than DT880 with amp only?

No. Just different. Whether it's better or not is purely personal preference. aren't you glad you'll be able to hear it, though?

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 9
Oh I see, sorry!
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck!

Mar 5, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 9
Your SuperMini will drive both the HD600 and DT880 very well, Jag.

I see you have an iPod, so I'm sure you're interested in how they perform with it as well. The iPod will drive both, but just barely, IMO. I've been using the DT880 with an iPod/SuperMini combination lately and the results are great.

An even better choice for iPod use is the CD3000. An amp isn't required and the sound is superb. They can be found new these days for about $350.

I own all three of these phones and prefer the 880 over the 600 by a fair margin. Since you already have a suitable amp, I'd go for the 880 in a flash.

Mar 5, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad

An even better choice for iPod use is the CD3000. An amp isn't required and the sound is superb. They can be found new these days for about $350.

Spad,

Where are these available for $350?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back