So...Denon D1001 recabling, eh?
Aug 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the spirit of this thread, can you give a detailed description of what the difference is between the two?

Reading between the lines of his post, it seems to me that he isn't saying he hears very much of a difference...

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading between the lines of his post, it seems to me that he isn't saying he hears very much of a difference...

Reading straight from the lines of your post you want him to answer in details which he will do shortly. The main difference is the invisible curtain and overall muddiness removed. the bass gets less boomy and the trebles smoother but it's not the night and day difference. It's a subtle difference but easily audible when replacing the headphones on your head. I'm currently using Conducfil SOnolene 3014 x2 but some guys report the HD650 cable is even better. You just make more than good headphones almost perfect, leaving their own but very valuable sonic presentation. I tried Grado extension cable as well, this one makes them brighter with smoother and fuller midrange, softer bass and silky highs but they get too bright for me with the Grado cable. Try the HD650's, it's easy as the plug is already there and you mainly need to cut off the transducer connectors and move the splitter down a bit (scissors and heat shrink will do).

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Funny how we can read almost opposite meanings in the same posting!
darthsmile.gif

I took it to mean that if anyone asking him to do an ABX test would first listen to the two headphones, they "wouldn't dare" to press the issue because the difference would be obvious.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

I took it to mean that if anyone asking him to do an ABX test would first listen to the two headphones, they "wouldn't dare" to press the issue because the difference would be obvious.

Correct.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Funny how we can read almost opposite meanings in the same posting!
darthsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, my apologies.

This situation would be the IDEAL candidate for a blind test, therefore. If it's that clear (if subtle) with eyes open, how good would it be with eyes closed?

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

This situation would be the IDEAL candidate for a blind test, therefore. If it's that clear (if subtle) with eyes open, how good would it be with eyes closed?

You must consider, too, variations in production -- who's to say every D1001 is exactly alike? Would these differences also be audible?

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LnxPrgr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must consider, too, variations in production -- who's to say every D1001 is exactly alike? Would these differences also be audible?

That is why I was thinking using tools, with a before and after group of measurements. If it's there, but at all like the differences for speakers, it might be within the range of differences between two individual samples. Resoldering the same drivers in the same housing would help control for that.

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 30
Disregarding the A-B comparison, I mostly report what I observed directly after replacing the cable. If somebody wants, he can always find an excuse to convince himself the stock cable is top notch and doesn't limit the headphones at all but it's the fact that this cable uses tiny amount of copper for each wire, and I hardly believe it's high purity copper. I don't encourage to buy a $250 aftermarket cable from well known brands preparing such cables, I'm just suggesting to buy a decent standard product, or professional cable which is required to be as transparent as possible, of course never totally transparent but not focusing on specific effects like audiphile stuff. The D1001's is mediocre, just open one cup to see.

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If somebody wants, he can always find an excuse to convince himself the stock cable is top notch and doesn't limit the headphones at all but it's the fact that this cable uses tiny amount of copper for each wire, and I hardly believe it's high purity copper.

Just a thought -- how thick's the copper in the voice coil?

Personally, I didn't find anything on those headphones top notch. They weren't bad, but I never did come to understand any of the fuss over them.

Aug 29, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #26 of 30
So far, only majkel is playing by the rules. No one else seems to have any experience with recabled v. stock D1001s, but are commenting anyway. Provide evidence for your claims, people.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #27 of 30
.....I know this is for Denon D1001, but Does HD650 counts?

I had not voted yet, but as I mentioned on other thread...

"I had chance to compare Cardas cable and normal stock cable for HD650, and I was unable to hear any slight difference (listening environment was very quiet.) The amplifier and the source were not ordinary as well, so they are not the weakest links."

For additional information, the source was a Rotel CD player and the amplifier was Beyerdynamic A1 (which costs about 1500$), they are not cheap ones, in which they may degrade the sound to be not compared.

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #29 of 30
Think of the lengths of leads, copper traces, and wiring, crimps and solder joints inside a amp or dac first...
I didn't vote.. but I'll put my bet on the latter.
The d1001 sounds great as-is.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I had chance to compare Cardas cable and normal stock cable for HD650, and I was unable to hear any slight difference (listening environment was very quiet.) The amplifier and the source were not ordinary as well, so they are not the weakest links."

I guess you don't understand what I say recommending the HD650 cable for the D1001's. The HD650's is very good so that's why another very good cable didn't differ much. The D1001's cable is terrible, so either you connect HD650's, or Cardas, or Mogami, or whatever you will obtain improvement on the Denon's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back