So are the KSC-35's the best 'phones under $50?
Feb 7, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #31 of 40
Just ordered some 75's to go with my current 35's.... You gotta have both to make an informed decision right?
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #32 of 40
The KOSS KSC-75 with a Sennheiser HD650 cable is scary good. Hard to beat under $100. It’s a freakish thing really, not meant to be.
I friend has the modified KSC-75 with a HD cable which I heard against a new PortaPro through a Grado headphone amp. The KSC-75 have a bigger soundstage and better, tighter bass and vocal range.
I’m buying a few pairs before KOSS does something stupid like try to make them better or discontinue them.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundscape
wait...what about the px-100's, i just came across them and they seem to be highly praised for a 30 dollar pair of headphones. do they have better sq than the ksc 35(or 75)?

Yup, having owned both, I think the PX 100 is much better than the KSCs. Better balance and much more refined, not so much of the harsh treble and boomy bass of the Koss line.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #35 of 40
normally i would say yes, but in light of a recent discovery of closeout HD497s at $40 on TTVJ, my answer is a resounding no.

HD497s for cheap!

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
normally i would say yes, but in light of a recent discovery of closeout HD497s at $40 on TTVJ, my answer is a resounding no.

HD497s for cheap!

eek.gif
That's an awesome deal - the HD 497 is my nominee for best headphone under $100. By far my favorite budget headphone...and simply trounces the KSC-75 in almost every way. Soundstage, detail, smoothness, it's all pretty darn good. When I owned it, there were times when I preferred the 497 to my 600, simply because it's such a fun and involving listen.

Note: When I say "smoothness", I'm thinking very specifically about the harsh distorted grain the KSC-75 has in the treble frequencies, which better headphones like the 497 don't have.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #38 of 40
jagorev basically hit the nail on the head. these will be quite a bit more detailed than KSC75s. it is an entry level hi-fi headphone as opposed to the kscs being a fun portable headphone. both are great soundwise, but the build quality of the kscs is a bit shoddy IMO. KSCs are still worth the money, and would still be worth it if they were twice as expensive, but the HD497 deal is just too good to pass up, considering that original MSRP was around $70.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #39 of 40
Feb 7, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Yup, having owned both, I think the PX 100 is much better than the KSCs. Better balance and much more refined, not so much of the harsh treble and boomy bass of the Koss line.

Wow, I have the exact opposite opinion. I think the PX100’s are sort of harsh and bright with a somewhat raspy midrange (vocal range) and way too upfront. For Jazz and Standards they are terrible! Maybe they’re better for rock and roll. Still, I really don’t care for them at all. I have an old pair of PortaPros (maybe 10 years old) and even prefer them. I primarily listen to a set of HD-600’s and I am always astonished how much I still like the modified KCS-75’s, for me they are beautifully balanced and have a great sense of soundstage and they work great with my iPod.
Not knowing the retail price, I’d pay $100 or more for the modified KCS-75’s just from listening but would have to think twice about paying $30 for the Sennheisers. I guess I think the PX100’s just suck.
Just my two cents and opposing opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back