So, are amps really THAT important?
Dec 5, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really don't know why so many people here are amp-focused instead of source-focused. A strong, clean source will make even a cheap amp sound good.

But therein lies a problem with portable audio - the sources themselves are not at all spectacular, and despite modifications such as the iMod they still fall short of desktop counterparts (DAC's, CDP's, etc).

However, assuming a DAP has already been invested in, this point is moot for the op.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #17 of 21
Hm. Well right now I've got one of the 2nd gen iPod touches. It's just got so much functionality I can't really pass it up.

I'd like to get either the UM3's, TF10's, or IE8's but those all seem to be out of my affordability range for now. Maybe in a month or two I'll consider it again.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But therein lies a problem with portable audio - the sources themselves are not at all spectacular, and despite modifications such as the iMod they still fall short of desktop counterparts (DAC's, CDP's, etc).

However, assuming a DAP has already been invested in, this point is moot for the op.

AHHHH!!!!!! the point is moot for anyone looking for a portable solution

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 21
They can make a significant difference with certain headphones such as the Sennheiser HD600's. Amped and unamped sound almost like two completely different headphones.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 21
I picked up a Predator to use at my work station.
(There's no room for a full size amp)
I was skeptical at first.
My ED9's sounded great straight out of my Macbook, but the amp really does open it up and tame it down.
As some have said- the portable amp does not add much, but it's enough to notice and I prefer to listen with the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back