So after long searching I got some denon Ah-d1001
Oct 22, 2008 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ddplz

New Head-Fier
Now the old headphones i usually use are panasonic RPH722 'surround' whatever, i got them for 99 bucks a few years ago but they have worked amazing till their structural decay of a few days ago. I see them on ebay now for like 22 bucks.

Old headphones = http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H...4692562&sr=8-1

Anyways i just got these denons, and I am not sure if they are better, the cord is shorter and requires an extension to get near the length of my old ones, the mid range is definitely more clear and less muddy on my old ones. The lower ranges seem to be a bit too powerful on these new ones. Where the mid range seems too weak. The denon's are definitely more comfortable.

Another thing i prefer with the old ones is the cord only comes out of the left ear where these come out of both.

Now they are brand new aka just used for the first time, I hear this stuff about headphones 'burning out' and becoming better later, is this real? Like has anyone actually compared a burned out and a brand new pair of the same headphones and saw a difference?

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 6
heehee. good headphones burn in. I should hope your headphones never burn out.

Actually, on burn-in: I'm skeptical. I would say it's not a readily observable phenomenon. In the one case where I had 2 of the same model - one 'burned-in' and the other new, I couldn't detect a difference.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 6
The idea behind burn-in is that mechanical components have to move a little before they move the way they were intended to.

This makes sense to me, to a degree, but the idea that all burn in is positive, and that it all takes thousands of hours is a little silly.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 6
burn in is debatable. Some people believe it, some people don't.

My experience - I've noticed a difference over time... but comparing a 4-month old d1000 with a brand new d1001. Pretty much the same.
In other words, any difference I noticed was simply me, getting accustomed to the sound.

Same thing with my amplifier. First time I used it, it seemed way too warm, a bit too 'moist' and a tad bit slow.
But now, it sounds way better to me. My old source on the other hand now seems sterile, dry, and lifeless.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 6
I personally believe that there is a small amount of burn but it does not create as significant an effect as others have stated here on the forum. While alot of things require some kind of break in period (new cards, new shoes, etc.) its also a matter of getting used to something. Someone gets use to their car as they drive it more and someone grows used to their shoes after wearing them for a period.

Because you used your old headphones for 2 years you probably became very accustomed to them and find the qualities of your new headphones a little "off" right now. When I bought my AKG K601s used I wasn't entirely satisfied because I was comparing them to my A700's. After listening them to a few times more though I got used to their qualities and much prefer their sound now than the A700s. Even then, switching between my headphones I always notice an initial adjustment period before the headphones sound "right" again.

I'd say give the D1001s a little bit longer to allow yourself t adjust them. Who knows, you may end up liking them more than your old headphones!

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing i prefer with the old ones is the cord only comes out of the left ear where these come out of both.

Didn't you know the length of the D1001's cable and that it wasn't single sided entry before you bought it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now they are brand new aka just used for the first time, I hear this stuff about headphones 'burning out' and becoming better later, is this real? Like has anyone actually compared a burned out and a brand new pair of the same headphones and saw a difference?

The burn in experiences of others differ and thus should make no difference to you. I suggest playing your D1001 for a week straight so YOU may see if YOU notice any difference. Also, for better sound quality, I suggest getting amp recommendations for your D1001 in the amp forum that are within your budget and buying an amp that's likely to work well with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back