So after getting a bad Creative Zen X-Fi... I don't know if I should get another
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Waveblade

100+ Head-Fier
I actually loved the player and some of its features. A pity my local USPS pretty much let the whole thing cook in the sun causing some weird cosmetic damage (I mean if I'm buying something new, why should it have cosmetic damages?!)

16GB player, that keeps the price relatively down while I won't hit that amount of music for a while. Right now the 16GB Zen X-fi is hovering around 180ish or so. About what I bought it for.

Now I'm on kind of a budget, and I might get the Zen again (I liked the headphones that came with it which aren't bad at all, totally worth the 20 bucks over the regular Zen 16GB).

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I have no idea if I want to with the new iPods...

I'd rather have something that I can stick in my basketball shorts that won't weigh it down. Also touchscreen is nice but I'm gonna pass this time around. (The iPod Touch is really nice but 16GB for 300 bucks despite its features is out my price range).

The Sony players look great but the lack of 16GB at a more affordable price bugs me (and I don't need the bluetooth since well, for me, it's little more than a gimmick rather than actual usage).

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 9
iPod Nano 16gb - better SQ than the X-Fi, good features, good batt life, better support than creative. Only negative is the lack of an FM tuner - I use it myself. Also, the D2 is a pretty solid contender as the SQ is fantastic, and it's adjustable out the wazoo & has full sd integration (iAudio7 rocks also - tunes only though).

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 9
I haven't really heard the new Nanos with my better headphones so I have to reserve judgement. But from what I've read so far, it sounds the same as the previous generation.

I wish they had made it a tad fatter and added some more battery life since 24 hours is the same as the fat nano.

I'm trying to like the iAudio 7 but it's just not for me. I'm thinking of the Cowon D2 though, I'll tinker with it when I can actually see one in stores (that works! Seriously some stores have mp3 players on display that simply don't work!)

Edit: One more thing, is Cowon going to have a new mp3 player replacing the D2 anytime soon? Because then I might as well wait right?

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 9
The S9 (maxing @32gb) and O2 (also max 32gb + sdhc) in Oct. Look in the forum for the thread about the new Cowon players. The S9, IMO, appears to be the better of the 2 for personal use while traveling (better batt life & all).

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Not a true replacement in my opinion, with wi-fi though +++, but without SD expansion, the S9. Different shape entirely.

Coming soon.

EDIT: Beaten. Will check out the O2, if it has wi-fi and is small like the d2 but slimmer i may upgrade sometime and just keep my beater K750i phone, if no wi-fi, d2 and wi-fi phone (for xmas!) will suit perfectly.

Matt

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 9
O2 is the larger player - 4.3" screen and such. Don't remember if it'll have wi-fi or not so,............

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Nahh, no wi-fi.

Iriver spinn does, but no expansion and 8gb max... Grrrr, and prolly not as many features and customizations and drag and drop like the D2, cant live without it now.

I want, 4gb +flash, expansion, features, customisation (not so important if UI is great, but its nice to change a UI you are bored of) wi-fi, tactile buttons, drag and drop.

Not much matches the d2 it has it all but phone, and wi-fi. I need a new phone anyway, so a cheap E61/E61i with wi-fi and full keyboard compliments it nicely.

Matt

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 9
S9 has no SD slot? Bummer. I hope it's not too expensive for 16GB. I have this "nasty" habit of re-ripping all of my music in 320 or v0 so there goes all my space
frown.gif

I hate how I can tell good quality vs. bad.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this "nasty" habit of re-ripping all of my music in 320 or v0 so there goes all my space
frown.gif

I hate how I can tell good quality vs. bad.

hehe

I just finished re-ripping my library to ALAC...so glad I went with an HD-based DAP again.

Give flash another year or 2 and we'll be disputing the relative merits of players with 128GB built in solid state memory and complaining about how it won't hold our entire library in wav or aiff format
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back