SO-8 Package - How do you solder these suckers?
Jun 12, 2004 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Chu

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all. I feal like tackeling the MINT project. I have a large theoritical background in electronics, but the harest thing I've ever had to do /w a soldering iron is some basic computer mods. I have built a couple simple CMOY's though.

Anyways, in the MINT project, it looks like the buffers and opamps are in an SO8 package. Can anyone give suggestions on the best way to solder such small components to the board, or point me to a socket?

Thanks in advance,

-Chu

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 9
I dont think there are any sockets available for you to solder the chip to the mint board.

What i always do is just tin all 8 pads first. Then grab the chip with some tweezers and put it directly on top of the tinned pads. With a steady hand, apply the iron to in between the pin and pad for the first pin and the first pin is soldered. After that, everything goes on smoother since the chip is already in place. Do the same for the rest of the pins and you're good to go.

There's probably much better ways of doing and explaining it.

-ivan c.

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 9
diyaudio.com has a nice wiki on smd work. http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...ntDeviceRework Scroll down about 2/3 of the page to the "Soldering SMD Parts" section. Good description, but no helpful pics.
And don't use silver solder.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 9
I use a helping hands to hold the board nice and level, then place the chip carefully on the board square on the pads. Then I gently touch the iron to the exposed part of the pad (which is much longer than the pin resting on it) and touch solder to the junction between iron and pad so that it flows onto the pad and up onto the lead. Sometimes you bump the chip, and sometimes the surface tension of the solder pulls the chip around a bit, so you might want to clamp the chip to the board; the heat sink clamps Radio Shack sells would work. I never bother, since it's easy enough for me to use tweezers to adjust the position of the chip if necessary. Let the chip cool a bit after the first joint, since it usually takes several seconds, and the limit is often as low as about 5 seconds depending on your iron's temperature.

Once the first pin is soldered, the rest are easy.

The advantage of this over Ivan's method is that the chip is nice and flat on the board. A combination method that shares this advantage is to tin just one pad, then use tweezers to place the chip while you heat that pad. Once you've soldered all the other pins, I'd go back and put a bit more solder on the first one to ensure that you don't have a 'cold' joint.

When the chip is soldered down, clean your iron and place the tip sideways along the chip pins so the tip touches all the pins at once. Any excess solder will cling to the iron so you can take it away. If you bridge any pins, this will usually clear the bridge. If one pass of the iron doesn't remove a bridge, don't try again; instead, use some desoldering wick to clean up the bridge, or add some liquid flux before trying the iron tip trick again. The iron tip trick only works when there's plenty of flux remaining.

Jun 12, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Thank you for all your replies! One quick question - why not use silver solder? I know most silver solder does not have a flux core, but I generally use my own flux and a superfine applicator when I need to solder componenets.

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 9
It's wise to clean flux, either with flux remover or the purest rubbing alcohol you can find (usually 70 or 99%). see this thread for methods and reasoning behind removing flux.

Chu - Silver solder generally melts at a higher temperature (around 50 degrees higher, depending on the composition), and soic packages are more heat-sensitive than dip packages. So silver solder isn't recommended. You may want to check the datasheets to see how much heat the chip is designed to withstand. I do have silver solder with rosin flux core (from radioshack
tongue.gif
). The 62/36/2 (2% silver solder) isn't too bad to use, but 96/4 solder took significantly longer to melt. Longer = more heat transfer = danger to chip. If you're quick with your iron, I suppose you could get silver solder to work though.

Jun 13, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #9 of 9
The Cardas silver solder is fantastic for any job, it's a Pb-Cu-Sn-Ag (that's neat, they're all the old latin names) alloy with a flux core. It's 21 or 22awg gauge, so it's fairly large but I've soldered SSOP chips with it. For SOIC chips, get yourself a small bit (I use 1mm), and the method tangent mentions, as for SOIC chips the pads available are quite large and will easily take the solder.

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back