Snugs
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 25
Thanks for the link, looks like the "personal moulds" are now £95 + £25 for the impressions.

Sent them an email to confirm price and "compatibility" with my Beats X.

Silicone? acrylic? Which moulds did you choose? How did you find noise isolation?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 25
They had that when I got mine but the audiologist said it was only £95 because they were affiliated with Puretone. £120 is still decent though.
I went for silicone after discussing it with the audiologist. He said they offer more comfort, better seal and are almost as durable. There is an audiologist around the corner from where I got them now also affiliate with Puretone and they have a display stand with various colours of both acrylic and silicone, it could be worth ringing around locally and seeing if they have any on display.
One thing I would recommend is the ear lube, well technically it's called comfort gel or something. It was £6 and aids with insertion and makes them a bit more comfortable in the first half an hour or so of listing.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #18 of 25
Had an online chat with Puretone, they can make custom tips for the Beats X and the advisor recommended silicone. They asked me to send the headphones too as they don't have a template.

Have an appointment with the local partner that accepts the voucher but wont be until the end of the month.

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #19 of 25
Good stuff. I sent my IEM's too, it only took a couple of weeks after they were sent off to come back. To be honest if I were to get more I'd send them as a matter of course because mine were properly moulded in place.

May 1, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #22 of 25
The Puretone partner was somehow the weak link - they didn't know about the voucher when I called them, their earliest appointment was 3 weeks away...

Ultimateear has partners too but this being the first time I feel is best to go to see them and let them deal with the full thing - I am going there next Thursday and they wont need to keep my headphones.

I normally upgrade my earphones every 2/3 years - with the impressions done I could well still use Puretone in the future...

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #24 of 25
hi XM4N

i am considering custom tips from ultimate ear. How was your experience with them?

Hi, it was 2016 when I dealt with them but they were overall really good if you consider my following experience... I booked the appointment and went to their offices for the impressions - they had a "template" of the earphones which were somehow new on the market back then (so they decided they did not need to keep my earphones)... When the silicons arrived, on their own they fitted the ears nicely but when inserting the earphones I realised they had some issues - I think it was like they didn't realise the buds have a right/left side - you could see that the tips didnt really fit nicely into the silicons and the cables were not "hanging" as they should... They offered to remake them but in the end they processed a full refund including impressions (I had to return the bits back to them)... I would still recommend them but first it would be useful to consider your earphone options today...

responding to your message, I noticed that I am still using those very same BeatsX earphones today (3 years later), I commute with them and they are often are just hanging from my neck, I think for this particular model, the silicons would have been too heavy for the cables anyway - now that we have gone wireless, I think these silicons would have been too big to pocket too... I just went back to my usual Comply foams and have done really well all these years...

3 years later, we now have access to full wireless + ANC - if my BeatsX would die today, I would try to go fully wireless and order the sony or apple pros which are getting great reviews and seem to seal nicely even without foams!

Happy to chat if you DM me...

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #25 of 25
hi XM4N

i am considering custom tips from ultimate ear. How was your experience with them?

Consider Custom Art as well for tips. Good prices (atm) and excellent services. Just need to send em a quick email with type of earphone to make sure you can get them for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back