Snow Stories
Dec 31, 2009 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

flashnolan

500+ Head-Fier
It is snowing pretty good in NJ right now, and I heard on the radio about a lot of accidents. I thought I would create a thread about war stories in the snowy weather. What is the worst snowy weather related accident you have seen or been in? Have you ever been in an accident on snow or ice?

One time heading home I hit a patch of black ice. My car spun 180 degrees so that I was facing the wrong way still sliding down the road. I slammed up against the guard rail with the driver side of my car. Praise the Lord there was no incoming traffic and I was able to turn the car around and park off on the shoulder. My Saturn's dent resistant panels shatter when they are hit too hard. I ended up replacing all of the driver side panels with ones from eBay and a junk yard. You can't even tell the car hit anything!

Dec 31, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 6
The only thing I can think of at the moment is the year it snowed 2 1/2 feet on Valentines Day. My technology teacher's gift to his wife? A red snow shovel.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Around this time a couple of years ago, we suddenly had a huge blizzard (in the northeast). I remember work let us out at 3 P.M. and at this time I was commuting from ~45 min. outside of Boston TO Boston (I was on co-op). The highway was fine for the most part; there is this one part that's an incline and there must have been twenty cars stuck on it. I nearly got stuck (trying to dodge all the other cars) but I kept my foot steady on the gas pedal and made it through!
beerchug.gif

Once I started to get into the city (which is usually only a 10-15 minute drive to my dorm depending on traffic), that's when the **** started to hit the fan. I'd say I moved an average of 0.005mph the rest of the way home. I didn't end up getting back until 11 P.M.
redface.gif
There was one part where I probably moved only 5 feet in an hour. Lesson learned: sleep at work when there's a blizzard if you live in the city!

Luckily, I live across the street from work now (the same company, actually) so anytime there's a blizzard or whatever I'm very grateful for what I have.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 6
When I was 18 I accompanied a girl and her younger brother to the DMV so she could get her drivers license because she had to have a legal adult in the car with her. She was driving her dads Buick Electra 225 which is a huge car. We were on a two lane, rural road, it was snowy/icy in patches. She had the cruise control set at 55 (big mistake) and drifted off the shoulder, over corrected and we were all of a sudden going sideways down the highway.

We continued sideways but went down a step embankment and the rear of the car hit a skinny telephone pole hard enough to break it off which straightened us out and she finally got us to a stop. We surveyed the damage which was a huge dent in the right rear quarter panel but it was easily drivable.

I walked to a farmers house who brought a tractor and got us back on the highway and we went home. Her dad was furious, mostly at me, because I was supposed to be the one "in charge" but I thought I was just doing her a favour. Luckily no one was hurt because none of us had our seat belts on.

Jan 1, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Why the heck would you want a thread about the worst accidents someone's ever been in or seen? Ever lost someone you loved? Ever seen someone killed? Ever fought for your life because of another driver's negligence? It's not something you want to read about on a headphone forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back