Snow Leopard
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesnt seem like a steal to me, just a fair price, since its not really a new operating system. Things should be snappier since most native in-the-box apps (safari, mail, etc..) are in 64 bit. I'll wait a while to upgrade since theres lots of stuff on my menubar (thanks for the heads-up Currawong!)

Its mostly the multicore support that makes it snappier though.

Anyway, I'll stick with Windows 7 still. I just don't care for the entire Mac ecosystem.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 95
Installed. Honestly, Safari seems faster and I don't notice much else yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 95
Installed yesterday took an hour and 5 minutes all went well gave me back 9.66gb of hard drive and seems snappier only program that did not work on mine was istumbler.
It also runs a few degrees warmer.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitchy_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just completed my install of Snow Leopard & backed
it all up on Time Machine. Also, I went from 20G of free space to 32G. That
surprised me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Soundsource in the menu bar to toggle between headphone output and USB output. Snow Leopard lost it. Otherwise, smooth sailing, including everything else in the menu bar, and freed up some space. Perfectly fair price. $29 software for $29.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Installed yesterday took an hour and 5 minutes all went well gave me back 9.66gb of hard drive and seems snappier only program that did not work on mine was istumbler.
It also runs a few degrees warmer.

Many people seem to think that they are gaining disk space by installing "Snow Leopard." According to my understanding of this recent MacFixIt Article (and my understanding may indeed be incorrect...), nobody is gaining any space. "Snow Leopard" is just measuring the space differently. Are we really gaining any space?

Snow Leopard changes how file and drive sizes are calculated - MacFixIt

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything that ran in the menu bar on the right, such as Menu Meters or iStat menus wont run. Max wont run either, because Core Audio has changed in some way. So far, apart from those things, I can't think of any issues I've had that didn't already exist in 10.5.

no MAX?!

total deal breaker for me

I'll wait until they sort that out before I purchase it then.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #22 of 95
You are def. supposed to gain HD space, that is one of the selling points- that at least apple is claiming in their press. However the added space people are reporting does seem to be more than what apple had said. But maybe they were being conservative in their estimates.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people seem to think that they are gaining disk space by installing "Snow Leopard." According to my understanding of this recent MacFixIt Article (and my understanding may indeed be incorrect...), nobody is gaining any space. "Snow Leopard" is just measuring the space differently. Are we really gaining any space?

Snow Leopard changes how file and drive sizes are calculated - MacFixIt

It is true that it's measuring file sizes in multiples of 10 now, so it's easier for mere human brains to calculate, but there's more to it than that.

Snow Leopard is Intel only now, so that removes some legacy code. Rosetta isn't installed by default. A lot of the space savings come from the lack of printer drivers. Snow Leopard installs a lean set of drivers based on what you actually use or what's visible on the network. Additional drivers are downloaded on demand, as needed.

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 95
As I just bought my MBP I signed up for the Up to Date program, unfortunately that has meant my copy of Snow Leopard still is in the post office...
frown.gif
I hope I get it on Monday though...

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #28 of 95
You are still saving space, but not as much as some/Apple are claiming you will. The switch to base 10(note: its not system wide, only in Finder, which is dumb) is what is confusing people.

As for ACTUAL space saving, yes they removed all print drivers except those that are directly used. There is not much savings in terms of code, yes the old code has been pretty much tossed out, but in its place is new code, so no real saving there.

Nevertheless its a good upgrade with a lot of little fixes, and speed improvements around the whole OS. I'm just waiting until they can fix the base 10 issues with ME and other apps.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #29 of 95
So am I understanding this right... if I install SL on top of my current Leopard OS, I will NOT lose my 3rd party apps, just some may not work any more (until they are updated)?

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #30 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So am I understanding this right... if I install SL on top of my current Leopard OS, I will NOT lose my 3rd party apps, just some may not work any more (until they are updated)?

Right. Most all apps will work just fine and better actually. There are only a handful that won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back