Snow Leopard with USB Dac issues?
Sep 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wjf

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently upgraded my computer (Macbook pro 2.33 ghz 2gb memory) to Snow Leopard from Leopard and have started to notice lots of noise and static whenever I am playing music through my usb (Bel canto DAC3) dac at the same time as using a lot of CPU, where this did not occur in Leopard. This happens through iTunes and DVD player. Changing to toslink seems to solve the problem-- does anyone else notice this issue?

Bill

Oct 4, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Not noticed this myself yet with my Macbook Pro (the first of the unibody models from late 2008) and my Corda Aria, but maybe I just haven't stressed the CPU enough while listening with the USB DAC. What I have noticed however is that system sounds (like the file copy complete noise) appear to always come from the laptop's internal speakers, even when I have the USB DAC selected as the audio output device. Pretty sure this wasn't the case in Leopard, but I might be wrong.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Not sure, I am using the optical out though to my dacs. I know that USB is getting better, but I still prefer the optical SPDIF, and being absolutely sure that no RF makes it across a metallic connection from the computer. USB is good, for sure, but I still prefer the Optical SPDIF.

Have not noticed any change with Snow Leopard from my standpoint.

Of note, my predator seems to run the same on Snow Leopard on my macbookpro using USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back