Snapped SA6 Earpiece? (56k Warning)
Sep 3, 2008 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

berniebennybernard

100+ Head-Fier
20103285wu4.jpg

I just picked up my SA6's, and was shocked. It had literally split apart, the nozzle of the earpiece fallen from the rest of the headphones. The square above is where the earpiece basically fell apart. It was weird too because the night before I put them down, I was listening to them fine.

So as most people when our headphones break, we start to panic (especially since it wasn't the replaceable cable!). And then as I sat down on the table in front of the computer trying to comprehend how it happened, I stuck it back in, and for some reason, it fits and is snug? I try to see if the same thing is on my other earpiece, and the nozzle on that also comes out slightly (I let go before I can do more harm).

Now I'd try to explain more with actual pictures, but at this point in time, I'm quite afraid to yank it out.

But anyways, so I plug them in to see if sonically anything has happened, and it sounds good as new
confused_face(1).gif

Should I get it RMA'd ASAP?

EDIT: Just tried plugging them in and the piece fell apart again, guess it isn't as snug as I thought. So here are some uploaded pictures. Please excuse my dusty fingers.

img0001cs8.jpg

Broken earpiece + nozzle

img0002zh0.jpg

Cross section of broken earpiece

img0003ed2.jpg

Side view of broken earpiece

img0004zj4.jpg

Side view of broken nozzle

img0005dv6.jpg

When broken nozzle is attached

img0006jb3.jpg

Do you see the slight opening on the other earpiece when I check to see if nozzle is loose?

img0007sr7.jpg

Money shot of previous picture

img0008lp3.jpg

Snapped piece + other ear piece

If I think about it, I could probably just fix this by using super glue, but if I could get it properly fixed, that would be even better... Heh, luckily I have warranty
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 14
I would be so pissed if I just dished out 200 and something like that happened. You took it like a man that is for sure. Stuff like this has never happened to me, so please keep us updated on what's going on, I mean it could happen to me and i'd like to react appropriately.

P.S. where did you buy them? Oh and I don't own the SA6, just curious.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 14
The other earpiece looks like it is about to fall apart as well. You should not be able to see the exit nozzel from the driver housing and the treble tube is at a bizarre angle.

img0008lp3sz7.jpg

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be so pissed if I just dished out 200 and something like that happened.

You should see how my one week old SE530 developed a loose connection in the first week. crap happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other earpiece looks like it is about to fall apart as well. You should not be able to see the exit nozzel from the driver housing and the treble tube is at a bizarre angle.

Agree, the nozzle of the other earpiece looks really funny. I guess the logical question to ask is, where / how did you store your SA6 right before the nozzle snapped? It could happen again if the situation is repeated in future.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 14
The second nozzle looks like it's going to fall because I was checking to see if it was loose, so I pulled gently (but not to the point it'd actually fall off of course!)

Well, before the nozzle snapped, I was just picking it up when the nozzle + ear tip fell off completely. The night before I had listened to them for about 15 minutes before going to bed and laid them down on my table.

Unfortunately I have school so I'll miss my little SA6's, but my amp is coming in the mail so it'll be a double treat if they get fixed
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The second nozzle looks like it's going to fall because I was checking to see if it was loose, so I pulled gently (but not to the point it'd actually fall off of course!)

Well, before the nozzle snapped, I was just picking it up when the nozzle + ear tip fell off completely. The night before I had listened to them for about 15 minutes before going to bed and laid them down on my table.

Unfortunately I have school so I'll miss my little SA6's, but my amp is coming in the mail so it'll be a double treat if they get fixed
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude, just send them back to Sleek, they'll fix or replace them.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 14
The good news is the exact same thing happend to mine. It was replaced and back in my hands less then two days after they recieved them, Im in Seattle USA and I think it came from Florida.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 14
Yeah, dude, as already said, just contact sleek/Jason, report the problem (probs include the pictures) and arrange to have them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I'm sure they'll sort it out sharply for you. They have amazing CS as you probably already know/have picked up.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The good news is the exact same thing happend to mine. It was replaced and back in my hands less then two days after they recieved them, Im in Seattle USA and I think it came from Florida.

Ah, so I guess it wasn't only me. Does it have something to do with the treble port perhaps? Because Mack told me if I had a pair of treble port removal tools (which I wasn't aware of). I previously used pliers, but that was like a month beforehand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, dude, as already said, just contact sleek/Jason, report the problem (probs include the pictures) and arrange to have them replaced/repaired under the warranty. I'm sure they'll sort it out sharply for you. They have amazing CS as you probably already know/have picked up.

Emailed Mack earlier, great guy. Getting my SA6s shipped to them tomorrow, and hopefully get my cable replaced as well.

I feel slightly at ease though that I wasn't the only one this has happened to. Still recovering from the shock of a 200 dollar purchase being broke down into loonies
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 14
I put it down to trying different tips (complys, shures etc) and needing to push the yip in harder than normal.

I bought them from sound headphones from the states to the UK, I rang the UK dealer (HiFi Headphones) who rang Jason and got clearance to send me a complete replacement.

I could not have asked for better service and support. That is what makes these IEM's a bargain and I'm proud to advise them to friends.

Sceptre

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 14
This happened to me also. I was taking off the medium tips to try the small ones and the other SA6 broke. I contacted Jason, sent both earphones to Sleek and got replacements today. It only took about a week from when i sent them and got them here to Finland (Europe). Sleek Audios customer service is just great! I also got the treble tube removal tool and it makes it very easy to remove the tubes.

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 14
I must agree, albeit a late response, but I got everything sorted out. Had to wait a while before I got another chance to pick them up from the States (unexpected plans). Another A+ for Sleek Audio.

The new treble port removal tool is also very handy although I was afraid I'd rip the whole thing in half because it was hard to remove the port the first time.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 14
yeah: mine are fine but i am not impressed with the build quality. the "photos" online look great but of course: they are renderings. i was expecting a higher quality plastic at least but i feel they skimped on the design. it is really quite a nice sounding iem but far from sturdy. the sound is quite better than i expected though.

the whole thing feels even more fragile than my um2 which i though would break quickly. perhaps i have been spoiled by the excellent at-ck10 which are bulletproof. at least if mine break it looks like there will be excellent quality service to replace them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back